• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

maybe we should send a college-player team next time

Some guy on the Golf Channel made the point that he thought the NCAA finals going to match play would pay dividends for the US in Ryder Cup's as the guys coming up would have more match play experience. However I question that, because so many of our guys probably won't have played in the NCAA finals. I would think on any given Ryder Cup team you might have just a few guys that played in the finals in college.

Last edited:
Some guy on the Golf Channel made the point that he thought the NCAA finals going to match play would pay dividends for the US in Ryder Cup's as the guys coming up would have more match play experience. However I question that, because so many of our guys probably won't have play in the NCAA finals. I would think on any given Ryder Cup team you might have just a few guys that played in the finals in college.

yeah, i can't see that change having anything but nominal affect on Ryder Cup performance.

I'm guessing the DJ/Koepka thing will blow over. Sometimes friends can get into it. It sounds like DJ's personal life has issues at the moment, and marital issues can spill over elsewhere. I doubt it ends up that they are no longer friends. The bigger issue I have from the audio is DJ saying he hadn't played there before last week. The French Open is 1 of the 8 Rolex series of events on the Euro tour and 1 of their bigger events. Add to that, as we've talked about, it's a tight course with tough rough and a lot of water. Yet, Thomas is the only US player who played in that tourney this year, and no one played in it last year. Add to that the French was up against the Quicken Loan, and let's face it, the period between the US Open and the Open is deadsville on the PGA tour. That's the 1 month between Jan-Sept where the Euro tour is better than the PGA tour (French, Irish, Scottish and the Open). So with a lot of US guys playing a handful of Euro events these days, why was Thomas the only 1 playing the French either of the last 2 years? And why wasn't Furyk apparently not pushing guys to play it?

Good questions.

The Sunday night party attended by both teams is traditional. Apparently it gets sloppy.

i thought i've read a few different times that the French are not that friendly to the American players/the experience at the French open is pretty un-fun

Small price to pay to celebrate winning the Ryder Cup on enemy territory.

Quite frankly, I just don't think many American players care when it comes down to it. Simple as that.

Quite frankly, I just don't think many American players care when it comes down to it. Simple as that.

yep, i think US sports culture and focus on individual success kills a chance for collective spirit.

college kids probably would get smoked by Euro pros but maybe the US should send a team of B sides instead of stars

i thought i've read a few different times that the French are not that friendly to the American players/the experience at the French open is pretty un-fun

My wife has a friend that traveled to France this past summer and went on a tour bus to Normandy. She said the tour guide was constantly talking about how bad America is and how the US and allied soldiers that liberated France was "worse" than the Germans. If that is is a common sentiment among the French now, then I'm not surprised by the above.

yep, i think US sports culture and focus on individual success kills a chance for collective spirit.

college kids probably would get smoked by Euro pros but maybe the US should send a team of B sides instead of stars

51b6BSFKmbL._SS500.jpg

My wife has a friend that traveled to France this past summer and went on a tour bus to Normandy. She said the tour guide was constantly talking about how bad America is and how the US and allied soldiers that liberated France was "worse" than the Germans. If that is is a common sentiment among the French now, then I'm not surprised by the above.

I'd say that tour guide is a revisionist historian. While de Gaulle may have been a pain in the ass for Eisenhower to deal with, our side got a lot of help before and during the invasion from the locals. While I get that many in Europe may currently have an anti-American bias, and France may have a significant problem now with its own nativists, we weren't treated as unwelcome invaders 70+ years ago.

I'd say that tour guide is a revisionist historian. While de Gaulle may have been a pain in the ass for Eisenhower to deal with, our side got a lot of help before and during the invasion from the locals. While I get that many in Europe may currently have an anti-American bias, and France may have a significant problem now with its own nativists, we weren't treated as unwelcome invaders 70+ years ago.

Well said

Let's just jump into the underlying issue that Reeds wife is a solid 3.5/10 with twitter fingers and every other woman in the clubhouse was a 9.5 outside of Mrs. Watson, who has to deal with crying Bubba so she doesn't count.

the army of liberated France was a terrible ally, culturally and logistically. they couldnt' achieve modest goals for their weak/boring sector on the far right end of the allied line in Europe and generally behaved poorly, even in their own country. by their own accounts, while certainly not welcoming the Germans in 1940, the french were not exactly super anti-German when they capitulated.

also, despite the romanticism, compared to other resistance forces in eastern europe and especially in occupied russia, the French resistance did very little other than annoy the German occupied forces during the war

oh yeah, and of course France used american vehicles, arms, food, communication and other equipment all for a political stunt.

While i don't agree with it, i can see why the greatest generation really thinks poorly of the French.

Last edited:
We best be careful how we speak about the French seeing that our basketball team may soon be more French than American.

the army of liberated France was a terrible ally, culturally and logistically. they couldnt' achieve modest goals for their weak/boring sector on the far right end of the allied line in Europe and generally behaved poorly, even in their own country. by their own accounts, while certainly not welcoming the Germans in 1940, the french were not exactly super anti-German when they capitulated.

also, despite the romanticism, compared to other resistance forces in eastern europe and especially in occupied russia, the French resistance did very little other than annoy the German occupied forces during the war

oh yeah, and of course France used american vehicles, arms, food, communication and other equipment all for a political stunt.

While i don't agree with it, i can see why the greatest generation really thinks poorly of the French.

I wasn't speaking of our greatest generation's thoughts or alleging the French were an overly effective ally. And yes, their army was about as effective for us as Mussolini's army was in Africa to Hitler, which is why I said de Gaulle wasn't much use to Eisenhower. (And as Eddie Izzard has observed, the French are, well, fucking French.) Just saying that from everything I've read about Normandy that the locals were overwhelmingly pro Ally and anti German.

We best be careful how we speak about the French seeing that our basketball team may soon be more French than American.

Meh, if we're talking about the contributions of the French in WW2 and in golf, their contributions in both have been rather meager. In golf, they have the van de Velde moment, Levy is okay at best and, though I thought he was going to develop into a good golfer, Dubuisson has faded into the woodwork since his win in Turkey and runner-up at the match play a few years ago. But hoops is different - they've had some really good players, Tony Parker being my favorite.

Anyone else trying to imagine what Lewis Grizzard would be writing about the French and golf this week?

Who do we think is this “anonymous source” from the team calling out Reed on his shit?

Last edited:
Back