• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

Furyk was Tom Watson all over again. Playing Tiger 36 in one day was idiocy just like Watson playing Phil 36 was. Sitting Finau and Fowler? Almost as bad as Watson benching Spieth and Reed. Then there's the old-man syndrome striking once again - overvaluing "experience" in the Ryder Cup for Captain's Picks and benching youth. Koepka/Finau put down Rose/Rahm and then sit? Seriously?

Interesting to note that both Ryder Cups were essentially lost in the first afternoon foursomes. Blanked this year, only a half point the Watson year. Almost the same spread overall in the losses, and each had questionable decisions along with complete head-scratchers like playing Mickelson/DeChambeau making up their foursomes groups.

Agree with everything else except for Fowler. He only sat 1 session and sucked when he was in there. He was in the water multiple times in the 1 session where he and DJ won and lost his other 3. His RC record is now 3-7-5. I see no reason for Furyk to have played him in the 5th session.

Edited to add that I'm also mellowing a bit on Furyk. I still don't get putting Phil and Bubba out there in 4somes, though Bubba and Webb did win 1 on Saturday. But I think his main problem was created not in the last week but when he picked Tiger, Phil and Bryson who are all reasonably long and wild off the tee. He essentially had a team mostly filled with bomb and gouge guys on a layout that resembled a 1990s US Open with narrow fairways and punitive rough. It was hard finding 8 guys on that team who would be good in 4somes. Add to that he had nobody who wanted to play with Reed and probably only Webb who was willing to play with Bubba, and Tiger was sleepwalking out there. Furyk was probably pressured into taking Tiger, Phil and Bryson when Kisner, Kuchar and Schauffele would have been better suited to that course.

Last edited:
Agree with everything else except for Fowler. He only sat 1 session and sucked when he was in there. He was in the water multiple times in the 1 session where he and DJ won and lost his other 3. His RC record is now 3-7-5. I see no reason for Furyk to have played him in the 5th session.

Yeah good point, I typed Fowler but I was thinking of someone else since he played 4 times. Finau and Webb had 2 points each and only played 3 times. Only 4 players had 2 or more points for the US and the other 2 that did played all 5 matches. In the middle you have the death group of DJ, Tiger, and Fowler who played 13 matches and scored 2 points. DJ switching putters between rounds wasn't the best sign.

Just food for thought: Everyone keeps posting about how the US was loaded with bomb and gouge guys and the course had penal rough setup to neutralize them. Anybody stop to think about the US Open records of the US team??? Koepka has won like the last ten US Opens, Tiger has won a handful, Phil has a good record in US Opens even though he hasn't won one, DJ has a strong US Open record certainly, Webb has won one, Spieth has won one, and on and on and on.

We just played like shit.

Also, I think the US team were candy asses when it came to playing in the cold vs the Euros. We hated it, they didn't care one bit. I think affected our play, I really do.

Just food for thought: Everyone keeps posting about how the US was loaded with bomb and gouge guys and the course had penal rough setup to neutralize them. Anybody stop to think about the US Open records of the US team??? Koepka has won like the last ten US Opens, Tiger has won a handful, Phil has a good record in US Opens even though he hasn't won one, DJ has a strong US Open record certainly, Webb has won one, Spieth has won one, and on and on and on.

We just played like shit.

Also, I think the US team were candy asses when it came to playing in the cold vs the Euros. We hated it, they didn't care one bit. I think affected our play, I really do.

Most of those US Open wins have come since Mike Davis changed the US Open setups from the old narrow fairway and penal rough to the graduated and mostly more generous rough with wider fairways. Just look at the difference between how Olympic and Shinnecock Hills looked these past Opens v. the previous Opens. Hell, you could have landed jumbo jets on those Shinnecock fairways this year. I'm not so sure that DJ, Rory and Koepka would have won US Opens in 1980-90s setups. Add to that Rory, who is also a notorious bomb and gouger was 2-3 this weekend.

You might be right about the cold. Either way, the Euros had better body language than we did most of the time.

Yeah, point taken cville.

And I do agree as well about our body language. But I think the difference in body language was largely due to the crowd being pro Europe.

And the thing about length is that length should ALWAYS be an advantage regardless of course setup. If the hole takes driver out of the bomber's hands then he should be able to hit 3 wood or hybrid or whatever out there with the short straight hitter's driver. Then they both are standing there 175 from the hole and the bomber is holding a shorter club for the approach shot. Which is why golf always comes down to short game and who makes putts. And once again, it was obvious which side was doing that. Which I still just don't understand. Why can't the US make putts over there in the Ryder Cup? Why? I don't think that having the crowd behind you helps you read putts better, or putt better. I can't make that work in my mind.

I just read that the US hit 51% of fairways, and the Euros hit 56%. Not a massive difference. So it's the putter, not the golf course setup.

And that Reed shot 85 in the Saturday four-ball round.
\
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2018-twelve-men-one-team-why-europe-succeeds-where-america-fails-shane-ryan

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-the-real-reason-the-united-states-lost-and-why-no-one-wants-to-discuss-it

Last edited:
Yeah good point, I typed Fowler but I was thinking of someone else since he played 4 times. Finau and Webb had 2 points each and only played 3 times. Only 4 players had 2 or more points for the US and the other 2 that did played all 5 matches. In the middle you have the death group of DJ, Tiger, and Fowler who played 13 matches and scored 2 points. DJ switching putters between rounds wasn't the best sign.

This is truly remarkable.

DJ also switched putting grips mid-competition.

Patrick talking shit about jordan and furyk. His wife going against the world. DJ and Brooks supposedly fought in the after party. What a shit show of a team.

The European locker room is a great place for the Americans to get into a fight though.

Is it customary for the loser to party with the winners? The ultimate participation trophy. Americans have become so fucking weak.

"Hey, you just drug our ass all over France, but we'd love to come have some sympathy beers with you and fight over our WAGS"

For Reed to say he needed to play more because he is great at the Ryder Cup, then to follow up by saying he had teammates who didn't check their egos at the door, is one of the most Patrick Reed things I have ever heard. He played poorly, and Spieth/Thomas won 3 matches. Hit the ball better and putt better next time, Reed.

The European locker room is a great place for the Americans to get into a fight though.

I can just see the Euros sitting back taking bets on who would win. Sergio, "I got DJ, he's got the length and quickness." Poutler, " give me Keopka, dude's strong as mule team."

I'm guessing the DJ/Koepka thing will blow over. Sometimes friends can get into it. It sounds like DJ's personal life has issues at the moment, and marital issues can spill over elsewhere. I doubt it ends up that they are no longer friends. The bigger issue I have from the audio is DJ saying he hadn't played there before last week. The French Open is 1 of the 8 Rolex series of events on the Euro tour and 1 of their bigger events. Add to that, as we've talked about, it's a tight course with tough rough and a lot of water. Yet, Thomas is the only US player who played in that tourney this year, and no one played in it last year. Add to that the French was up against the Quicken Loan, and let's face it, the period between the US Open and the Open is deadsville on the PGA tour. That's the 1 month between Jan-Sept where the Euro tour is better than the PGA tour (French, Irish, Scottish and the Open). So with a lot of US guys playing a handful of Euro events these days, why was Thomas the only 1 playing the French either of the last 2 years? And why wasn't Furyk apparently not pushing guys to play it?

Is it customary for the loser to party with the winners? The ultimate participation trophy. Americans have become so fucking weak.

"Hey, you just drug our ass all over France, but we'd love to come have some sympathy beers with you and fight over our WAGS"

I agree with this. I know that there is this atmosphere outside of a guy like Patrick Reed, of the guys being all so friendly and the most of the Euros play the PGA tour either full time or enough that the players all know each other well. It's not like in the old days where the guys on the GB&I teams really didn't come over and play much in the US and the players weren't so close to each other. However, I think the Euros for the Ryder Cup week make it personal and always play with a chip on their shoulder. Just look at Thomas talking about how badly he felt how his match with Rory ended, what the crap? Rory hit a 3 wood in the bunker, caught a bad lie and then tried to play a hero shot and didn't pull it off. All on him. JT shouldn't feel bad about it one bit. I think our guys need to make it personal and at least for that week every 2 years create a little animosity between themselves and the Euros. I really think when you look at the 3 teams for these international competitions that is the edge the Euros have. The US and International teams, frankly just don't seem to embrace the team aspect of it's us versus them and for one week those guys are our enemies. I think that is one reason the US has such a great President's Cup record, the Internationals don't have that edge, that the Euros do. My two cents anyway.

Back