• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

CreamyGoodness

Thanks Creamy!
Reaction score
The dude deserves an ongoing thread. He was awesome minus a couple of Freshman errors.

Game 1 of career - Win - 31-51, 378 yards, 2 TD and 2 INT, 64 yards rushing. Set WFU Freshman record for passing yards in their first game.

GO DEACS

He throws a laser which is harder to catch than where Wolford put it, but it resembles more of an NFL arm than Wolford IMO.

As someone who does not follow football recruiting or training camp at all, was he a high prospect? I saw the articles about his exploits at Southlake Christian and Davidson Day and somewhere in SC, but from an athletic standpoint Southlake Christian is basically a glorified elementary school (the kids across the street from me go there) and Davidson Day isn't far behind, so I would question his competition when playing at those schools. Did we expect him to be a starter when we got him? Did he have any other high offers? Dude looked legit last night.

#12 pro-style QB in the class per 247. Pretty legit

As someone who does not follow football recruiting or training camp at all, was he a high prospect? I saw the articles about his exploits at Southlake Christian and Davidson Day and somewhere in SC, but from an athletic standpoint Southlake Christian is basically a glorified elementary school (the kids across the street from me go there) and Davidson Day isn't far behind, so I would question his competition when playing at those schools. Did we expect him to be a starter when we got him? Did he have any other high offers? Dude looked legit last night.

The Charlotte private schools are pretty solid competition, for the most part, and send a decent number of kids to FBS schools these days.

Love him. Needs to learn to avoid taking unnecessary hits, but he performed way beyond all reasonable expectations. He will make more mistakes like the ill-advised shuttle pass in the 4th quarter, but he will also continue to improve.

Would doubt that there is any program that has essentially gone from 4 year starter (Skinner) to 4 years starter (Price) to 4 year starter (Wolford) to freshman starter with an open road in front of him in the history of college football.

If Wolford had had Hartman's WRs and OL vs La-Monroe in 2014, he'd likely have won his opener too. That was the difference maker last night on offense. Good receivers, good line, at least pass pro, and strong backs, even if they didn't show much until the end.

Play like this won't win many games against any ACC competition, but the same could be said about Tulane in 2016 or Appy St. in 2017. No real rationale for games like this but they all involve lower division teams who are tougher than the level of their program/school. As a matter of fact, our talent level is probably closer to Tulane's or Appy's than it is to Clemson's or FSU's. And yet we manage to beat those powerhouses occasionally.

Survive and advance.

The Charlotte private schools are pretty solid competition, for the most part, and send a decent number of kids to FBS schools these days.

Yeah, but Davidson Day wasn't playing a full schedule against those teams. Most of the games from the 2016 season (Hartman's junior ?) were against crappy teams with no college prospects that they destroyed.

The beat Charlotte Country Day and lost to Charlotte Latin.

Davidson Day lost in the first round of the playoffs to Charlotte Christian, who lost the next week to Charlotte Latin in the championship game.

If Wolford had had Hartman's WRs and OL vs La-Monroe in 2014, he'd likely have won his opener too. That was the difference maker last night on offense. Good receivers, good line, at least pass pro, and strong backs, even if they didn't show much until the end.

Play like this won't win many games against any ACC competition, but the same could be said about Tulane in 2016 or Appy St. in 2017. No real rationale for games like this but they all involve lower division teams who are tougher than the level of their program/school. As a matter of fact, our talent level is probably closer to Tulane's or Appy's than it is to Clemson's or FSU's. And yet we manage to beat those powerhouses occasionally.

Survive and advance.

I'm interested to see what the "projected score" is from S&P for our game after the slate of games this weekend. Losing turnover battle and explosive plays but ahead in yards per play. I suspect that we "should" have won by 8-10. I think playing like we did last night wins us plenty of games against the schedule we have. Road games are hard to win. We looked like what we are: a top 40 team.

Well if Newman is as good as Hartman I can understand why Hinton is playing WR at least for now. Look forward to Towson game to see more young guys getting some snaps.

Well if Newman is as good as Hartman I can understand why Hinton is playing WR at least for now. Look forward to Towson game to see more young guys getting some snaps.

Hopefully Clawson and staff can figure out a way to get Hinton on the field somewhere. That will be interesting to follow when Hinton comes back.

Hopefully Clawson and staff can figure out a way to get Hinton on the field somewhere. That will be interesting to follow when Hinton comes back.

What a great challenge to have. Your two young QBs surpass the presumptive starter. The presumptive starter has athletic ability and skills you've got to get on the field. But the best position is manned by one of the best players in the conference.

What a great challenge to have. Your two young QBs surpass the presumptive starter. The presumptive starter has athletic ability and skills you've got to get on the field. But the best position is manned by one of the best players in the conference.

It's been discussed, but I'd love to see a Hinton "wildcat" package.

I'd like to see him throw more deep balls to Dortch.

Hartman is one cocky mf. And I don't say they with an ounce of negativism. He was literally dancing on the field between plays at moments in the 2nd half. One time, he was dancing (I assume to the music playing on the speaker system?), he threw that 2nd pick a play or two later so perhaps not ideal.

I also noticed Hartman waving goodbye to Tulane fans after Carney scored in OT but before they ruled it a touchdown.

If you are comparing Hartman to Wolford, and I am sure people will do so going forward, Hartman is waaaay more Hollywood than Wolford. I like it.

I don't think necessarily Hartman has won forever the starting job though. Our receiving corp made him look great. We are tremendous route runners. He often had tons of time. Our QBs DO get banged up. It is just a product or running this offense. Wolford, by 21, had learned to essentially play banged up. But his first 3 years, he missed a game or two from the hits he took, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Hinton or a Newman start a game or two while Hartman gets healthy.

This guy is going to start 30 games at Wake though, that seems a given and I am excited to see it.

Back