• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

It's been discussed, but I'd love to see a Hinton "wildcat" package.

Sure, but that wouldn't be a wildcat package. That would just be letting Hinton play QB like he had for three years.

I think Hinton @ QB could be a great option on occasion when in the red zone to completely throw Ds off who may now not have the time to sub/respond to having a real running threat @ QB and make the running option much more effective than it was last night in the red zone. Also could have some trick plays where you bring Hinton in as a WR and have Hartman go out to WR while Hinton rotates back or loved Michigan's play last year where the QB lined up under guard as if he was going to take the snap and then they did a direct snap to Jabril who was in shotgun behind center and took off running to the left. Lots of trick play options including the Grobe special with the hand off to Hinton who could then throw it or do a quick lateral strike to outside and Hinton could then run or pass.

I think Hinton @ QB could be a great option on occasion when in the red zone to completely throw Ds off who may now not have the time to sub/respond to having a real running threat @ QB and make the running option much more effective than it was last night in the red zone. Also could have some trick plays where you bring Hinton in as a WR and have Hartman go out to WR while Hinton rotates back or loved Michigan's play last year where the QB lined up under guard as if he was going to take the snap and then they did a direct snap to Jabril who was in shotgun behind center and took off running to the left. Lots of trick play options including the Grobe special with the hand off to Hinton who could then throw it or do a quick lateral strike to outside and Hinton could then run or pass.

Some interesting ideas for creative play calling here. A few things need to develop to make them more effective (beyond the staff actually putting some of them in the playbook.) Hartman needs a few more games at QB to show opponents this wasn't a fluke against a "bad" Tulane pass defense. Hinton needs to show he can actually play wide receiver credibly after he comes back from suspension. He will have to be OK with being a backup receiver and also backup QB who may play in certain types of situations. With the number of really good receivers on the Wake roster, it will be hard for Hinton to get game minutes and touches.

These are problems good programs have. Saban still can't pick a QB.

I like how Hartman catches the shotgun snap from center with 1 hand and quickly adjusts/rotates the ball.

Did they start the broadcast with "he's been through a lot." I thought I heard that, too.

Sure, but that wouldn't be a wildcat package. That would just be letting Hinton play QB like he had for three years.

That's why I put it in quotes. I think it would be cool if he came in for designed runs/options and then occasionally let a deep ball fly when they start stacking the box.

Yeah, but Davidson Day wasn't playing a full schedule against those teams. Most of the games from the 2016 season (Hartman's junior ?) were against crappy teams with no college prospects that they destroyed.

The beat Charlotte Country Day and lost to Charlotte Latin.

Davidson Day lost in the first round of the playoffs to Charlotte Christian, who lost the next week to Charlotte Latin in the championship game.

buzzkiller

Hartman is one cocky mf. And I don't say they with an ounce of negativism. He was literally dancing on the field between plays at moments in the 2nd half. One time, he was dancing (I assume to the music playing on the speaker system?), he threw that 2nd pick a play or two later so perhaps not ideal.

I also noticed Hartman waving goodbye to Tulane fans after Carney scored in OT but before they ruled it a touchdown.

If you are comparing Hartman to Wolford, and I am sure people will do so going forward, Hartman is waaaay more Hollywood than Wolford. I like it.

I don't think necessarily Hartman has won forever the starting job though. Our receiving corp made him look great. We are tremendous route runners. He often had tons of time. Our QBs DO get banged up. It is just a product or running this offense. Wolford, by 21, had learned to essentially play banged up. But his first 3 years, he missed a game or two from the hits he took, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Hinton or a Newman start a game or two while Hartman gets healthy.

This guy is going to start 30 games at Wake though, that seems a given and I am excited to see it.

Hope he grows out of this. Cocky is good for anyone except the QB. Nothing like acting like you're the shit and dropping a turd like that 2nd INT on the next play. I'd rather have a classy good QB than one everyone sees as a cocky punk, but that's just me.

From Jaybone's post one time, he was dancing (I assume to the music playing on the speaker system?), he threw that 2nd pick a play or two later so perhaps not ideal.

Nah, he just had to pee. If I was playing (with my prostate), I would be dancing the whole game and need 8 timeouts each half.

I like how Hartman catches the shotgun snap from center with 1 hand and quickly adjusts/rotates the ball.

Did they start the broadcast with "he's been through a lot." I thought I heard that, too.
His adopted brother, a good receiver for Elon, committed suicide a few years ago.

Hope he grows out of this. Cocky is good for anyone except the QB. Nothing like acting like you're the shit and dropping a turd like that 2nd INT on the next play. I'd rather have a classy good QB than one everyone sees as a cocky punk, but that's just me.

In Hartman's defense: (1) the first time he did the throw-while-falling it saved a drive which ended in a TD, (2) he won, and (3) he was down and did not throw a second interception. That might have been the worst call I've ever seen where replay was used. Still, really bad decision by a true freshman in his first game. Clawson will coach him up.

I enjoyed the waving to fans, and have no problem with it. As long as it's not an obscene gesture, what's the problem with a little gamesmanship if you're backing it up? The dancing I could live without, but if it helps him stay loose, I don't mind.

Or maybe the dancing was just nervousness, and because of the crowd only being a few thousand strong, some pretty personal comments made it to Sam from those particular fans. I'm not convinced he's a cocky SOB after one game.

The Tulane fans he was waving at had previously moved around the stadium/come to the front of the section we were sitting in to talk shit to him (re: yell obscenities at him) while he was on the bike staying warm before OT, so I'm good with it.

I don't know where all this talk of cockiness is coming from. Sam was clearly honoring the opponent by performing their mascot move (The Wave) in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Much like we used to have our band perform the other team's Alma Mater to show our respect.

Waving good bye to the opposing student section after a win is awesome. I don't know what yall are talking about.

I have come to learn that there is nothing old white guys hate more than dancing. Rape a chick? meh. Sexually assault a women? That's just the way things were done. Domestic abuse? I'm sure they're two sides to that story. Do a little sideline dancing????? OH FUCK NO.

Back