• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

It’s behind a paywall. Nice Wake connection to Purdue RB Rondale Moore. His RB coach is Wake legend Chris Barclay who had his breakout game as a true freshman at Purdue with 70 yards and 3 TDs on 19 carries.

Here’s a nice tribute to Coach Barclay from the Purdue official site.
https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018...is-barclay-headed-to-wake-forest-hall-of-fame

Sorry, forgot it was an ESPN+ article.

"4. QB Sam Hartman, Wake Forest

Hartman made the most of his situation when named the starter after Kendall Hinton was suspended for the first three games of the season. He took the starting job by the horns and helped Wake Forest defeat Tulane 23-17 in overtime by throwing for 378 yards and two touchdowns on 31 of 51 passing. He also ran for 64 yards in the game, and while he did have two interceptions on the day, he took command of the offense for the Demon Deacons."

Thanks. Did any of the other four true freshman starting QBs make the list?

Thanks. Did any of the other four true freshman starting QBs make the list?

Trevor Lawrence 3rd with a write up about 5 times longer than Sam's.
JT Daniels (USC) 5th with a write up just as long as Lawrences.

Sam's write up was the shortest on the list and even shorter than some of the honorable mentions at the bottom of the article...

Sam is of the same line extending..

Baker Mayfield — Will Grier — Sam Hartman

Same style. Same type competiveness.Same type of Charisma

Trevor Lawrence 3rd with a write up about 5 times longer than Sam's.
JT Daniels (USC) 5th with a write up just as long as Lawrences.

Sam's write up was the shortest on the list and even shorter than some of the honorable mentions at the bottom of the article...

I can imagine the scene:

"Sweet, my article on true freshman stars is done."

"I just saw some kid from Lake Forest threw for 373 yards and rushed for 64."

"Lake Forest? Are they FBS?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Everybody is nowadays."

"Shit. I guess I've got to add him in. I'll throw something together real quick."

"Oh my bad. It was Wake Forest."

"Oh that makes sense."

I've just watched the first couple episodes of QB1 season2 starring Sam and honestly he doesn't come off as cocky at all. He seems extremely humble and seems to respect his elders well. Excited to see where he takes us this season.

I can imagine the scene:

"Sweet, my article on true freshman stars is done."

"I just saw some kid from Lake Forest threw for 373 yards and rushed for 64."

"Lake Forest? Are they FBS?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Everybody is nowadays."

"Shit. I guess I've got to add him in. I'll throw something together real quick."

"Oh my bad. It was Wake Forest."

"Oh that makes sense."

Lol, probably pretty close to the truth

Imagine things really go pretty well for Deacs this year, then maybe Deacs need some swagger to work against the LOWF syndrome in the national media?

Any chance we get Barclay back here coaching again one day. He and Gattis would nice

I agree with the SEC-philes who say Gattis is on track for a much better job than Wake. Hard to see Barclay leaving a Big Ten RB coach job for the Wake RB coach job unless he really wants to come back. Brohm is a Louisville, KY guy like Barclay and he's already hired Barclay to two different staffs (WKY and Purdue). I'm assuming Barclay would stay loyal. If Brohm does well at Purdue, he could easily be up for the Louisville job if Petrino flames out or even a Top 10 job.

Any chance we get Barclay back here coaching again one day. He and Gattis would nice

Yes, the old saw that former WFU athletes will return to lead us to glory. Never even came close in any case where that happened. No reason to believe it would happen, especially, in the future. Best case ever was John Mackovic, and he blew out after a mere three years for greener pastures. The DickRod of his day.

Yes, the old saw that former WFU athletes will return to lead us to glory. Never even came close in any case where that happened. No reason to believe it would happen, especially, in the future. Best case ever was John Mackovic, and he blew out after a mere three years for greener pastures. The DickRod of his day.

Maybe a John Wolford one day if those guys have no interest. But right now that is the farthest from my mind. I’ll take 20 years with the current regime of Clawson and Co.

I agree with the SEC-philes who say Gattis is on track for a much better job than Wake. Hard to see Barclay leaving a Big Ten RB coach job for the Wake RB coach job unless he really wants to come back. Brohm is a Louisville, KY guy like Barclay and he's already hired Barclay to two different staffs (WKY and Purdue). I'm assuming Barclay would stay loyal. If Brohm does well at Purdue, he could easily be up for the Louisville job if Petrino flames out or even a Top 10 job.

Barclay might come to Wake as a RB coach/running game coordinator, or more probably as Offensive Coordinator should Ruggiero leave. Although Clawson May have some concerns about hiring anybody who is a Wake alum after Elrod.

Back