• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Any player who leave should be forced to repay all tuition, meals, and fees.

If we offered him the same amount of cash and he left I could understand y’all’s takes, but after the past 5 years Wake fans owe Sam Hartman a lot more than Sam Hartman owes us.
yes, this 👆, so much this!

he gave us everything, sad we cant pay him the same and watch him wear the old gold and black one more year. . . but that's on Wake, not on Sam leaving. be happy for our guy and celebrate him going to get what he deserves. I will be a Hartman fan forever, and cheer against him 1 game next year. The man was a class act, high integrity, made others and our program better, great player and leader, and even better dude.

yes, this 👆, so much this!

he gave us everything, sad we cant pay him the same and watch him wear the old gold and black one more year. . . but that's on Wake, not on Sam leaving. be happy for our guy and celebrate him going to get what he deserves. I will be a Hartman fan forever, and cheer against him 1 game next year. The man was a class act, high integrity, made others and our program better, great player and leader, and even better dude.
Agree with everything you said with the exception of this: it's not on anybody; a 23 year-old man who has spent 5 years at one school and has graduated is moving on from MSD for professional reasons, as most of us did only at an earlier age.

Did we get destroyed in the miami run the ball all the time game wasn't it like a 10 point loss and we had a chance in the 4th. It was much more please throw a play action now to get us ahead.

Did we get destroyed in the miami run the ball all the time game wasn't it like a 10 point loss and we had a chance in the 4th. It was much more please throw a play action now to get us ahead.
Here is the box score for the 16-10 loss at Miami.

WF led 10-3 at half. Riley Skinner attempted 8 passes for the game. WF ran the ball 52 times. Insane.

Now any good feeling about UNC losing are gone. We so should have beaten Miami that day. One or two play actions and it would have happened.. (and a holding call doesn't happen and we beat Clemson in Grobe's first year, or we make one first down against -- Duke, UNC, State, etc and we win). I'm going back to work.

Some times you're happy you forget things - like this particular game against Miami

No business losing to UNC? Dude, Maye lit up our sorry D for 450 yds and 3 scores. Score was a lot closer than the game actually was. Come on.
Huh, we had the game and lost because of a bad interception Sam threw. Maybe saying we had no business losing to them is a bit much, but to act like we were lucky to keep it close is stupid and not indicative of the game at all.

Agree with everything you said with the exception of this: it's not on anybody; a 23 year-old man who has spent 5 years at one school and has graduated is moving on from MSD for professional reasons, as most of us did only at an earlier age.
And I almost agree with that statement too, but the fact that we cant keep him, either says we don't have the means to keep him, or wakeFB has moved on from him and they don't have the desire to keep him. . . and I would understand both as reasons, but either way it is still on Wake, because i'd bet my house he'd stay and play another year for a bag of money.

although I see your broader point.

I'm with you and Hooz. If he is getting $2-3mil from ND, that's a lot more than he'd get from an NFL team as a late draft pick or UDFA on a practice squad. Late round rookies on the roster get like $8-900K and guys on a PS get like $2-300K. He played for us for 4 years, graduated and is now making a smart business decision. If he continues to play football after next year, I'm still thinking Canada may be his best bet.

I absolutely think Hartman and the people around him realize he won’t be earning a significant NFL paycheck. Feel this is much more about him trying to maximize opportunity for earnings before moving on to a career outside of football. And I’ll be rooting for ND to lose every single game next year just like always.

Draft eval from SI.com written BEFORE THE SEASON - https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/samhartman

The good part:

On film, Hartman displays impressive touch on his passes. He can hit a target coming over the middle of the field in stride with ease. Hartman understands when he needs to put more velocity on a pass or more touch. His ball placement for the most part was good. Hartman can hit his target in the numbers and even fit the ball into tight coverage. In terms of his athleticism, Hartman is an adequate athlete, who can pick up five to ten yards.....

the bad part

....but nothing more. His overall presence on the field is very small. Hartman struggles to break tackles and looks small. His arm talent doesn’t help, as he lacks arm strength and velocity. It was difficult for him to throw the ball downfield, and he consistently forced receivers to come back to the football. When under pressure, Hartman can’t drive the football where he needs to. This leads to him just throwing the ball up for grabs, creating turnovers for the defense. For a player who’s game is built on being a game manager, who is accurate, Hartman threw the ball up aimlessly way too often. Right now, Hartman ceiling isn’t more than a potential backup. He doesn’t have upside and his skill set right now has a lot of holes. Hartman should be brought into a camp, but he will struggle to stick on a 53-man roster.

TBH even though this was written preseason I did notice a lot of this stuff. The negative re: frequently forcing receivers to come back to the football / throwing the ball up for grabs quite a few times seems accurate after 2023 as well (the last Clemson throw comes to mind but there were many others). Do I think these issues could be addressed with another year of college? The decision making yes, the arm strength / ball drive probably not.

Worth noting his scouting report from NFL Draft Buzz.com (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Sam-Hartman-QB-WakeForest) didn't have any of these same weaknesses. Kiper didn't have Sam in his top 10 (or top 13). Jerk.

the nfldraftbuzz scouting report for hartman is insane imo. doesn't describe the player accurately at all. SI one is more accurate

I absolutely think Hartman and the people around him realize he won’t be earning a significant NFL paycheck. Feel this is much more about him trying to maximize opportunity for earnings before moving on to a career outside of football. And I’ll be rooting for ND to lose every single game next year just like always.
I never liked ND and actively hated them under Kelly, who I regard as the biggest jerk in college football. But I'm kinda rooting for them a bit now because their new coach seems like a good guy. Plus it's better for the long term interests of the conference if the big boys like FSU, Clemson, Miami and ND (even though they're not technically in for football) improve.

I never liked ND and actively hated them under Kelly, who I regard as the biggest jerk in college football. But I'm kinda rooting for them a bit now because their new coach seems like a good guy. Plus it's better for the long term interests of the conference if the big boys like FSU, Clemson, Miami and ND (even though they're not technically in for football) improve.
How does ND being good help the ACC? It’s not that they aren’t “technically” in the ACC for football. They are literally not in the ACC for football.

Back