• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

So what do you think about Luke Masterson playing for the Raiders? Or Jessie Bates playing for the Bengals? Some pretty toxic organizations there.

I also hope ND doesn't win a game because fuck them. But I will root like hell for Sam to play well, and I do actually care about his personal success.
I think we're probably not all that far apart. I admit going to play for an opposing college program feels a lot different than playing for a crap NFL team. I mean he chose to go to a school where he will play against us this year. Like I said I understand what he needs to do for him, and the current state of college sports is not his fault, but it stretches my fandom a bit.

I don’t really get it, what was he supposed to do, pass up the recognition and money @ ND simply because they randomly happen to be on our schedule? Take what was to him the less preferable choice of turning pro and changing the entire trajectory of his future, for that? This is what you’d advise your sons to do?

The part of the Hartman departure that is ignored was that Hartman left with Clawson and staff's blessing, verging on encouragement.

If Hartman had stayed, pretty good chance that Griffis would've entered the portal as this will be his fourth year at WF; it's time for Griffis to play or find a place to play. 2023 will finally be Hartman's last year of college football; Griffis has three years of eligibility. So, while Clawson and Ruggiero would never publicly admit this, they are OK with (and probably prefer) having Griffis for three seasons versus Sam for just one. They also knew that Sam's best chance to maximize income was to do so via college NIL verus being an NFL UDFA (or at best a very late round pick).

While WF is building an NIL war chest, in the scheme of things, WF's NIL money was better spent keeping Morin, Banks, Greene, Jurgens, Claiborne, Carson, Mustapha and others at WF, rather than dumping a money bag on Sam, but losing many of those guys. All things considered, Sam transferring, given Hartman's NFL uncertainties, was essentially part of the plan (or at least fully anticipated).

Put another way, Hartman to ND is not a case of a player unexpectedly jilting a school; this was as amicable of a player/school separation as you will ever see. So, for me, that makes it much easier to root for Sam.

Last edited:
I don’t really get it, what was he supposed to do, pass up the recognition and money @ ND simply because they randomly happen to be on our schedule? Take what was to him the less preferable choice of turning pro and changing the entire trajectory of his future, for that? This is what you’d advise your sons to do?
We get it from Sam's perspective. We don't have to like it from Wake Forest perspective.

It will be galling when Sam is in next year's NFL draft discussion as "Notre Dame quarterback Same Hartman."

The last two pages is the exact reasons why I haven't revived the Billy Edwards thread to talk about how he will now be coached by Gattis.

The last two pages is the exact reasons why I haven't revived the Billy Edwards thread to talk about how he will now be coached by Gattis.
Billy Edwards hasn't even played a down of football for Wake Forest, has he?

I will say I attended a different graduate school than Wake and I stayed in conference to boot. I suspect at least a few others Wake alums here aren't Double Deacs.

In hopes of the ACC surviving I hope we throw around the biggest bags of cash possible and get all the great players, that’s how the ACC survives.

I will say I attended a different graduate school than Wake and I stayed in conference to boot. I suspect at least a few others Wake alums here aren't Double Deacs.
Yep this is true. But I think one of my grad schools has played WF one time in one sport ever and that’s it. I also would’ve never rooted for them. So if Sam throws the game against us, his alma mater, then I’ll give a shit about him again.

Back