• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

This is the basis of several conversations I've had with other media about Sam. "Good at doing interviews but actually hates it."
Yeah, I was at the ACC Football Awards last year. He was there with his folks and he couldn't get out of there soon enough.

Not a fan of the opt out even as much as I love the dude. You're getting paid, you play out the season, regardless of whether it's in the playoffs or not.
You think that was a part of the NIL agreement? I’ve heard of players having to return funds when they broke contract. Doubtful Sam is skipping town with stolen NIL money.

Interesting that Sam opted out of playing for ND's bowl this year, but elected to play for WF in a bowl last year against Mizzou (BTW, that win looks pretty good now that the Tigers are a top 10 team in 2023) when he knew he wasn't coming back to WF the following season. I'm going to run with that as a statement that WF is his true alma mater, and ND was just a fling.

Last edited:
Interesting that Sam opted out of playing for ND this year, but elected to play for WF against Mizzou (BTW, that win looks pretty good now that the Tigers are a top 10 team in 2023) when he knew he wasn't coming back to WF the following season. I'm going to run with that as a statement that WF is his true alma mater, and ND was just a fling.
I mean yeah, I think any unbiased person would look at the situation and conclude that he loved playing at Wake Forest but wasn't willing to turn down getting paid a lot of money to play for one year at a different school. Considering he's a fringe NFL prospect that may never find a long-term roster spot in the NFL, that's a completely reasonable position to take.

And if you're a Wake fan that is mad at him for what he did, you aren't making nearly enough of an attempt to relate to him. Because I feel very confident that any one of us would have made the same decision that he did.

I mean yeah, I think any unbiased person would look at the situation and conclude that he loved playing at Wake Forest but wasn't willing to turn down getting paid a lot of money to play for one year at a different school. Considering he's a fringe NFL prospect that may never find a long-term roster spot in the NFL, that's a completely reasonable position to take.

And if you're a Wake fan that is mad at him for what he did, you aren't making nearly enough of an attempt to relate to him. Because I feel very confident that any one of us would have made the same decision that he did.
The shame of it is if we had our collective shit together with NIL last year, he's possibly back this year, we are 8-4 or better and Magic Mitch rides off without a whimper. Clawson hinted as such in a presser this season.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

The shame of it is if we had our collective shit together with NIL last year, he's possibly back this year, we are 8-4 or better and Magic Mitch rides off without a whimper. Clawson hinted as such in a presser this season.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I think we need to stop this revisionist history before it gets started. Sam made clear at the beginning of the season that it would be his last as Wake.

Sam wanted to play at a high profile program in a pro style offense, I don’t think there was any way we could’ve kept him.

You guys know that if Sam stayed for this year, we would have most likely just gotten the Mitch Griffis experience next year right? I have my doubts that Griffis would have landed a starting P5 job if he transferred last offseason, so he most likely would have just stuck around and Clawson would have given him the job for 2024.

With that said, I don't think Sam leaving a year early significantly altered the trajectory of the program in the long run.

D14, that is a great point.

You guys know that if Sam stayed for this year, we would have most likely just gotten the Mitch Griffis experience next year right? I have my doubts that Griffis would have landed a starting P5 job if he transferred last offseason, so he most likely would have just stuck around and Clawson would have given him the job for 2024.

With that said, I don't think Sam leaving a year early significantly altered the trajectory of the program in the long run.
That may be true, or he could have transferred to play somewhere else. No way to know.

eh - i think it's hard to say that sam left a year "early"

he had 5 years at wake, and it was clear that 2022 would be his last season at Wake

Back