• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

I agree that I am not mad at Sam, he can do as he pleases. But he cannot have his cake and eat it too. He cannot go and play against WF and want to be considered our greatest QB, HOF blah blah. He is an opponent and nothing more. Like I said before, I hope we kick his ass. Hes a ND player and I hate them all.

Meh, complaining about tampering doesn't make sense in today's environment. We are in the height of player empowerment, and schools being able to "tamper" is a good thing for players who can get more information about $$ opportunities. Hopefully our NIL collective is also actively reaching out to potential players who are a good fit for us.

The NCAA needs to adjust based on the new reality and change transfer rules and other outdated processes.
Yep and as mentioned on here and elsewhere before, if the NCAA doesn't change themselves, the courts are going to make them. So it's just an inevitability at this point. NCAA fucked around for so long with their amateurism conceit that the train left the station and is halfway across the country with the NCAA still figuring out what they wanna pack for the trip.

We are all Sam fans, and I wish him luck in his career. But fuck rooting for him further if he goes to a school that will actually play us this next season. We aren't cucks.
This is it. Wish him the best but not while he is playing for a college not named Wake Forest. It’s fine with me Notre Dame loses every game next year even if it fucks up sams nfl prospects. If sam wants to bet on himself go ahead. But rooting for another “big name program” because one of our former players is there trying to do something he felt like he couldn’t do here is too lowf for me.

I mean ok but y’all sound kinda mad.
I’m more angry at the blind love and obsession of everyone towards our players that willingly leave. The KW3 obsession was maddening. I’m sure there will be a “Hartman tracker” thread next season too. Why are we rooting for these guys? I don’t wish them any ill will, but I’m not a ND fan so why would I root for him?

$3MM is stupid money. If he gets anything approaching that from any school, he would be (financially) crazy not to take it. Having said that, as a fan, I'm going to be pissed if he goes to a school we are playing.

ND is a good spot because he will be facing a lot of opponents he is already familiar with but won’t have any impact on our conference record.

I’m more angry at the blind love and obsession of everyone towards our players that willingly leave. The KW3 obsession was maddening. I’m sure there will be a “Hartman tracker” thread next season too. Why are we rooting for these guys? I don’t wish them any ill will, but I’m not a ND fan so why would I root for him?
Because he played here for 5 years and graduated and set the Acc td record here. I’m not saying pull for him when he plays us but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want him to be successful. Especially since I think I remember you posting that this was probably what the coaching staff wanted as well.

Because he played here for 5 years and graduated and set the Acc td record here. I’m not saying pull for him when he plays us but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want him to be successful. Especially since I think I remember you posting that this was probably what the coaching staff wanted as well.
I’ve just never been a root for individual players person in any sports. I root for my teams and that’s it.

I can understanding rooting for him and ND (when not playing us). I can understand wanting ND to lose despite him being there. I don't quite understand actively rooting against him, but maybe that would ultimately benefit WF going forward. Don't think there are right or wrong answers.

Can someone explain the rationale behind offering $3M to a player that will only play one year? What's in it for the person that offers it other than a medium/low chance to win the championship?

speaking for myself, i can't always explain why i cheer/hope for certain sports outcomes or which guys/teams I like, so i get the mixed feelings

Agree that transferring to an opponent that plays WF turns my stomach. Other than that, don't see the difference between rooting for Hartman if he plays for Notre Dame or the Indianapolis Colts or the Hamilton Tigercats. Rooted for Sam for many years; so, I will follow him and pull for Sam (except when he plays against the Deacs) when he's being paid to play for a college or a pro team. Given that Sam will be a sixth year transfer and given the economics at play, this is a different situation, as compared to a traditional transfer.

It just seems weird to me to be only care about a human in terms of what they can do to benefit your university’s football team.
I mean, that’s not what I said. I’ll root for him as a person. I was thrilled to see CP3 graduate. Don’t really care about what he’s done in the NBA. I hope Sam uses his platform and degrees to do well. I don’t care what else he does related to athletics. I don’t equate their performance on the field with caring about them as a human being. Rooting for him at ND is still just rooting for his performance on the field. Not for him as a human. I also don’t know the guy so it’s hard to really care about him outside of my rooting interest.

Last edited:
It just seems weird to me to be only care about a human in terms of what they can do to benefit your university’s football team.
It seems weird you find this weird. There are like 10 billion people on this planet. Can only seriously invest my energy into so many of them. But why would a 20 something year old someone named Sam be of specific interest if not a quarterback at wake? And now he’s not.

All this attention only reinforces the low ceiling on wake football. Maybe that will always be the case but certainly no reason to actively support our best players transferring for greener pastures. Don’t care who you are.

Y’all mad at Sam just because the school that has apparently offered him the most money just happens to be playing is next year? If I’m him I’m not taking a significant payout just to avoid playing against my former team.
Who's mad at him? People are just saying - rightly so - that we shouldn't feel an obligation to root for him if he's transferring to a school that we compete against.

If it wasn’t for the weird Covid year eligibility shit then Sam and Rondell would be heading out of college football altogether. They’ve played five years for the Deacs and given their all. Don’t blame them for wanting to go elsewhere for their last year. Clawson has built a program and turnover/roster churn and letting the younger guys get on the field is part of that program.

No hard feelings for anyone transferring after playing out a standard length college career at Wake.

Back