• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

They're not paying $3M for Hartman to play 12 games for them - they're paying him to play 14 games for them and hold a trophy at the end of it all

They must not have watched the Louisville tape.

Maybe they watched the Clemson tape…Sam was a stud in that game. I know this sucks but I give Sam a ton of credit for even playing in the bowl game knowing what was at risk if he was injured. I hate ND but will pull for them this year and make the trip to South Bend wearing Wake gear.

Maybe they watched the Clemson tape…Sam was a stud in that game. I know this sucks but I give Sam a ton of credit for even playing in the bowl game knowing what was at risk if he was injured. I hate ND but will pull for them this year and make the trip to South Bend wearing Wake gear.

I don't think this fairy tale is going to end like many of you think. But, I'll stand corrected December, 2023 if my hunch is incorrect. Kid did fabulous things at Wake. At Wake.

Dudes, if Hartman is really getting 3mil to go play in South Bend.... Then hell yea Sam go get that bag. That's more than his market value in the NFL in a great case scenario anyways.

People acting like they wouldn't take a 3mil dollar bag in their 20's to go ball. Get outta here boomers.

Which boomer has said they wouldn't take the money? I've not seen one post to the contrary.

Which boomer has said they wouldn't take the money? I've not seen one post to the contrary.
Certainly boomers arguing that NILs are a negative, and Sam should not have this opportunity to take care of himself and family.

Certainly boomers arguing that NILs are a negative, and Sam should not have this opportunity to take care of himself and family.

I've not seen one post on here from "boomers" saying he should not take the money. Not one. But please keep stereotyping.

I HAVE gone on record that I don't think this will be the fairy-tale story some think it will be given the pressure cooker Sam will be within. Do I fault him for taking the money? Of course not.

Separate the two.

I've not seen one post on here from "boomers" saying he should not take the money. Not one. But please keep stereotyping.

I HAVE gone on record that I don't think this will be the fairy-tale story some think it will be given the pressure cooker Sam will be within. Do I fault him for taking the money? Of course not.

Separate the two.
I wasn't referring to you directly, and didn't know you boomed. But have fun being old, ill be there soon enough.

No one is arguing either of those things. People aren’t thrilled that he is going to a team we play next year, and rightfully so. People are also stating whether they will or will not root for him while he is playing for another college team - one that many of us despise and, again, one that we play next year. He has the right to get his money. We also have the right to root against his team.

Despite rewriting the ACC record book for passing, I doubt Sam Hartman is any more than a regional star. That changes if he ends up at Notre Dame. There is no ceiling if he is a success for a successful Fighting Irish football team.. That is a national story and would include a possible Heisman trophy. The upside of this move is an absolute top tier story and Notre Dame loves a top tier story. It could also alter the perception of NFL at draft time.

If Sam fails, he has put some money in his pocket and maintained his present draft status. If he succeeds, he has improved his draft status and now has the Notre Dame network to enhance his marketability. That is a far more lucrative position available for the future. An absolute no brainer decision for his future career, football and otherwise.

Despite rewriting the ACC record book for passing, I doubt Sam Hartman is any more than a regional star. That changes if he ends up at Notre Dame. There is no ceiling if he is a success for a successful Fighting Irish football team.. That is a national story and would include a possible Heisman trophy. The upside of this move is an absolute top tier story and Notre Dame loves a top tier story. It could also alter the perception of NFL at draft time.

If Sam fails, he has put some money in his pocket and maintained his present draft status. If he succeeds, he has improved his draft status and now has the Notre Dame network to enhance his marketability. That is a far more lucrative position available for the future. An absolute no brainer decision for his future career, football and otherwise.
He is more than a regional star. Him transferring was a top story on the ESPN ticker yesterday. Go browse Reddit too. Everyone knows who he is.

I don't think this fairy tale is going to end like many of you think. But, I'll stand corrected December, 2023 if my hunch is incorrect. Kid did fabulous things at Wake. At Wake.
A lot of us like myself think he's 100% smart to take the $$ and go to ND next year But that's not the same thing as thinking he'll have a "fairy tale" season on the field next year.

When Sam gets time to make throws, he is lights out. Just like a lot of really good QBs. If ND’s offensive line performs well, I would expect him to have a really good year next year.

Also, knowing a lot of ND grads and how they spend their money, the $3 million dollar number does not seem out of the question in the least.

When Sam gets time to make throws, he is lights out. Just like a lot of really good QBs. If ND’s offensive line performs well, I would expect him to have a really good year next year.

Also, knowing a lot of ND grads and how they spend their money, the $3 million dollar number does not seem out of the question in the least.
I assume a lot of this NIL money comes from people entirely unaffiliated with the school but who are gigantic fans. Same with what you’d see at Duke and UNC.

I assume a lot of this NIL money comes from people entirely unaffiliated with the school but who are gigantic fans. Same with what you’d see at Duke and UNC.

Notre Dame had "subway alumni" long before Walmart existed. And that is true today. ND is a national brand that is particularly strong in the northeastern US where there aren't many strong university football brands.

Notre Dame had "subway alumni" long before Walmart existed. And that is true today. ND is a national brand that is particularly strong in the northeastern US where there aren't many strong university football brands.
Is it as true as it used to be? I feel like some of that was based on them being on TV. Now everyone is on TV. Also, a lot based on the Irish Catholic stuff which is declining. Genuinely just curious. They are obviously still a national brand, no matter how baffling that fact is to me.

Personally I believe it's a bad move. While he may (and I hope) does well at ND and remains injury free, I believe Sam is as ready as he will ever be for the NFL.
Good luck Sam on your journey.

Such hurt feelings here. Yes would rather not play him next year.

I believe there are only 32 teams that are on national TV every week, no matter who they play and they are all in the NFL.

I'm not sure what team people would realistically have him going to. A team that will be highly ranked and have pre-season % chance at making the playoff and winning the championship that needs a QB, why wouldn't he.

Go to FL that wants him to pull them up? Eh.

Best decision for him if he is being told he not likely to get drafted.

The announcers are wrong. McCall is the best player in program history, and the only chance for Coastal to be competitive is for McCall to play. Understand that part of the bowl experience is developmental, but "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"; not fair to the rest of the roster to play an inferior player because it might help him in 2023. Also, Coastal is going through a transition to a new coach, so it's not like the backup QB would be getting experience with next year's system.
Naturally, McCall got injured.

Back