• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sarah Westwood: Advice From a Lonely College Republican

Skydog brought it up but anecdotal evidence always has its place! Maybe I could talk about how many guys on Wall Street I know that came from shitty backgrounds.

Isn't it weird though how most dudes on wall street came from either the sticks or with a silver spoon? Rarely do you find someone with a normal middle class upbringing.

Skydog brought it up but anecdotal evidence always has its place! Maybe I could talk about how many guys on Wall Street I know that came from shitty backgrounds.

Point being that you choose money as a definition of successful. Many of us think otherwise. I've met many a man with money who you would deem successful who were just assholes who cared only about themselves and their bottom line. Not a definition of success to me, but I don't worship at the dollar either.

Isn't it weird though how most dudes on wall street came from either the sticks or with a silver spoon? Rarely do you find someone with a normal middle class upbringing.

Definitively. There's still a good old boys network but everyone loves a good underdog story.

Point being that you choose money as a definition of successful. Many of us think otherwise. I've met many a man with money who you would deem successful who were just assholes who cared only about themselves and their bottom line. Not a definition of success to me, but I don't worship at the dollar either.

Anyone who's truly successful, in any field, would be financially successful. Hell, the best janitor in the world probably makes 8 figures running a cleaning company. I'm only interested in success that's quantitative, not some bull shit "I add to society, therefore I'm successful." Rich people who donate 7 figures to charity do more than anyone.

You're confusing an example with anecdotal evidence unless you're claiming "Daddy's money" doesn't exist.

You're confusing an example with anecdotal evidence unless you're claiming "Daddy's money" doesn't exist.

Sure it does but it gets hit by the estate tax and the vast majority of millionaires are self-made. The old/daddy's money thing is a ready excuse but not supported by statistics.

Again, I'm not talking about just inheritance.

I just don't see how coming from a successful family is a bad thing. Hell, my grandparents were coal miners and steel workers yet managed to provide for a boat load of kids.

Who said it's a bad thing? Just means there are a lot of experiences they don't get.

I just don't see how coming from a successful family is a bad thing.

it really is baffling. And I would add that especially after seeing and reading things like the 30 for 30: Broke, it amazes me that people can really just think it takes no intelligence or personal success to maintain money even after acquiring a lot of it

it really is baffling. And I would add that especially after seeing and reading things like the 30 for 30: Broke, it amazes me that people can really just think it takes no intelligence or personal success to maintain money even after acquiring a lot of it

It's baffling because it's a great straw man conservatives have come up with to demonize people who believe in progressive taxation.

Who said it's a bad thing? Just means there are a lot of experiences they don't get.

personal "struggle" experiences or experiences that allow them to see another perspective?

It's baffling because it's a great straw man conservatives have come up with to demonize people who believe in progressive taxation.

You probably should stop validating their argument then. I mean if it's a straw man and all, why give it credibility?

How is it a strawman when that is the actual view of a lot of people, even if you are not one of them. Although everything you say would point one to that conclusion.

How is it a strawman when that is the actual view of a lot of people, even if you are not one of them. Although everything you say would point one to that conclusion.

That's pretty much what a straw man is. You're twisting people's positions to fit your incorrect perception of them.

Anyone who's truly successful, in any field, would be financially successful. Hell, the best janitor in the world probably makes 8 figures running a cleaning company. I'm only interested in success that's quantitative, not some bull shit "I add to society, therefore I'm successful." Rich people who donate 7 figures to charity do more than anyone.

"Anyone who's truly successful, in any field, would be financially successful." That is a sad, narrow minded, and I'm sorry to say, ignorant statement. Everyone keeps saying that you are young, guess I will blame it on that.

"Anyone who's truly successful, in any field, would be financially successful." That is a sad, narrow minded, and I'm sorry to say, ignorant statement. Everyone keeps saying that you are young, guess I will blame it on that.

O I don't think the experience argument is one you want to make against me. I've overcome more shit in my life than you can even fathom.

O I don't think the experience argument is one you want to make against me. I've overcome more shit in my life than you can even fathom.

I know all I need to know about you now. Respected you during the election.

Back