• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday 12/7 at 2PM - Mens BB vs Richmond. Big Game?

Every game is a big game for Bz. Although Richmond might not quite measure up to our Super Bowl (BC), it does remind one of a late-season December NFL game between staunch rivals battling for home-field advantage.

The following game after Richmond isn't for 10 days. A win going into that long break could be huge for team morale.

Kenpom has us winning 68-67.

Wake is ranked 88. Richmond is 61.

Just noticed Xavier already beat Tennessee this year.

If we're really as bad as we looked against Tennessee we might not win a game until February.

Just noticed Xavier already beat Tennessee this year.

If we're really as bad as we looked against Tennessee we might not win a game until February.

Yep, then Tennessee beat Xavier by 15 in the Bahamas. Xavier went 0-3 in the Bahamas, including a loss to USC.

Yep, then Tennessee beat Xavier by 15 in the Bahamas. Xavier went 0-3 in the Bahamas, including a loss to USC.

Weird. Tennessee shot 35% from the line in that first game. Gotta hit your free throws this year since they'll account for most of your points I guess.

Big game. At least as an illustration of where we are at, and what we can expect for the rest of the season.

The UT game took away any hope I had of us actually being good this year. That was a terrible performance... but can still have a decent season if we win games like Richmond / @ Xavier.

I disagree that UT is a "bubble team"... they'll be going to the NCAAs. Likely a single digit seed, unless they completely underperform this year.

Just out of curiosity, define decent season.

Even if we win all of our games like Richmond/ @ Xavier (which is unlikely) we would still only finish 18-14 (I included ND which is 6 spots ahead of Richmond). We'd be lucky to get a postseason bid with that record given our strength of schedule.

Factoring in SOS such a season would probably rate between our 06-07 and 07-08 seasons. Hardly decent by Wake's (apparently former) standards.

A "decent" season (a.k.a an acceptable season) isn't beating Richmond and Xavier. It's winning at home and on the road in the thick of the ACC. A decent season would mean sweeping the rest of our non-con, sweeping our six games against the bottom five, beating ND and FSU at home and stealing 1 or 2 from the top 6 (Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Clemson, UVA).

That would put us 20-21 wins heading into ACC tournament with a (9-9 or 10-8 conference record). Again because of the S.O.S. that would still leave us with work to do to get off the bubble (probably would need two wins in the ACC tournament).

Point being that beating Richmond and Xavier might be a prerequisite to a decent season but it doesn't guarantee or even indicate one.

Ron is looking for a reason to extend his boy, Jeff. 18 wins will cut it. Hell, I bet 15 would.

If you don't believe me, then look at our cupcake schedule. It's all an attempt to prop up [Redacted] so that Ron won't wind up with egg on his face.

Losses are wins.

It's sad that Richmond is considered a 'big game'.

This. Richmond is pretty good again this year and will be tough. But there was once a time when we were #1 and playing another top-5 team in Illinois, and that's what we thought was a "big game" in December. Evidently, the Creamy Goodnesses of the world have bought into Ron's and Buzzdick's bullshite and get excited for our big game against a solid A-10 team.

This. Richmond is pretty good again this year and will be tough. But there was once a time when we were #1 and playing another top-5 team in Illinois, and that's what we thought was a "big game" in December. Evidently, the Creamy Goodnesses of the world have bought into Ron's and Buzzdick's bullshite and get excited for our big game against a solid A-10 team.

Sad how far the threshold has been lowered, isn't it???

Richmond isn't all that good.

Their renovated building, however, is a big improvement.

Richmond isn't all that good.

Their renovated building, however, is a big improvement.

Haven't been there in a while - didn't know they renovated the Robins Center. Last game I went to in Richmond was at VCU's newish place, which was darn nice.

Haven't been there in a while - didn't know they renovated the Robins Center. Last game I went to in Richmond was at VCU's newish place, which was darn nice.

Just this year. Their biggest accomplishment was reducing seating capacity and making the building feel much smaller. I went to the first game which was a near sellout, but idk how well it plays with their typical, smaller crowd.

College basketball is different now than it used to be. Any given night any team can beat anyone. How else can you explain Vermont almost beating Duke at home and then Duke blowing out Michigan. I think we will see many young teams that have good and bad nights and I think the Tennessee game was a bad night in which we were outmatched and outcoached. I think the Richmond game is a huge test as of where we are this year. If we beat Richmond (who in my opinion is a solid bubble team this year), I think we should have a decent year as a solid NIT and possible bubble. Lose to Richmond at home and it will be another wasted year. Stakes are very high on this game IMO.

A "decent" season (a.k.a an acceptable season) isn't beating Richmond and Xavier. It's winning at home and on the road in the thick of the ACC. A decent season would mean sweeping the rest of our non-con, sweeping our six games against the bottom five, beating ND and FSU at home and stealing 1 or 2 from the top 6 (Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Clemson, UVA).

That would put us 20-21 wins heading into ACC tournament with a (9-9 or 10-8 conference record). Again because of the S.O.S. that would still leave us with work to do to get off the bubble (probably would need two wins in the ACC tournament).

Point being that beating Richmond and Xavier might be a prerequisite to a decent season but it doesn't guarantee or even indicate one.
ALL OF THIS

Back