• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday 12/7 at 2PM - Mens BB vs Richmond. Big Game?

College basketball is different now than it used to be. Any given night any team can beat anyone. How else can you explain Vermont almost beating Duke at home and then Duke blowing out Michigan. I think we will see many young teams that have good and bad nights and I think the Tennessee game was a bad night in which we were outmatched and outcoached. I think the Richmond game is a huge test as of where we are this year. If we beat Richmond (who in my opinion is a solid bubble team this year), I think we should have a decent year as a solid NIT and possible bubble. Lose to Richmond at home and it will be another wasted year. Stakes are very high on this game IMO.

Again this is not decent. The following things qualify as decent, and were plentiful in the 20 years prior to Buzz.

Being Ranked at some point during the season (15/20)
Making the NCAA tournament (14/20)
Winning 20+ games (12/20)
Having an SRS above 10 (15/20, this is basketball-reference's rating system. For reference* the 09-10 team was 11.45 and the 98-99 team was 9.81)

The stakes are only high in the sense that if we lose its likely an indication that we were in for a long season.

*Also just for fun in Buzz's first year Wake's SRS was -4.43. Last year it was 3.41.

Richmond is a decent team, better than we are, and is solid defensively.

They will be a challenge.

Xavier beat Tennessee without two starters and then promptly went winless in the Atlantis tournament so that's interesting.

Went to Duke/Michigan Tuesday then our game Wed. It is really sad to see where we are. I counted 584 at tip off. I actually counted.

Would love to see these guys get to play with a real Wake crowd going crazy.

The sad thing is that some of these ACC games (Duke, UNC, State) might have crowds that are actually hostile to Wake.... not even including the "fans" who are cheering against their own team at this point.

I think we can all agree that beating Richmond is a prerequisite for a decent season. And considering how the team started and finished the season over the past couple of seasons under [Redacted] I think we can also agree that beating a good Richmond team will be a confidence builder for our guys, especially heading into a 10 day break without games as someone else pointed out. That would be a long 10 days after a loss, I'll be cheering hard tomorrow. Go Deacs.

Last edited:
I'm sure the stadium will be packed like sardines in a can...err..ocean.

@TieDyeNation: Madison Jones and Devin Thomas will not start today because they were late for shootaround

#culture

@TieDyeNation: Madison Jones and Devin Thomas will not start today because they were late for shootaround

#culture

If they were late to shootaround they shouldn't start. Don't really see a problem with this.

I will have a problem when it inevitably gets brought up as an excuse if we lose.

Wellman "I couldn't be happier to have a coach who won't sacrifice doing things the 'Wake Forest way' even if it costs us a win"

Hope those who made the game enjoyed it. We needed that win and got it, nice comeback. Bring on the Bonnies.

Back