• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I agree, I'm glad it's only once a year but it's a fun event to watch. We get to see these guys play every week and one time a year to sprinkle in some celebs and let the more casual fans maybe take a bigger interest isn't the worst thing in the world. Only thing I'd like is to see more bad shots from celebs honestly, I wanna see the 15 handicapper shank it into the crowd.

Did you see Ray Romano (who I think is a decent golfer) fly his bunker shot over the next tee causing Speith to duck and cover just as he was getting ready to tee off?

The guy’s a journeyman who’s won once in his PGA Tour career and has been on and off more than one pro tour. The fact that he was able to keep it together in tough playing conditions while playing with the number one player in the world was incredible. Why in god’s name would he have played 18 any differently than he did. He would have been an idiot to be aggressive.

because I'm watching sport to be entertained....? i understand wanting to win the tournament and I know how difficult 18 is to play.

but we can all agree that was the most boring finish, right. not to mention making johnson putt it out before his 2" tap in - super silly

It's a pretty common golf etiquette thing. Wasn't surprising at all.

Personally, I actually like carnage during golf tournaments. Seeing the pros have to grind out pars, and sometimes make doubles, in tough conditions makes golf more relate-able. Probably why I like the U.S. Open so much and the British in tough conditions.

The birdie-fests get old to me, unless it's at an awesome course like Augusta.

it's common but super dumb, excepting major tournaments, perhaps.

i mean, Jason Day's final hole was exciting. i don't expect players to sacrifice wins for entertainment. i'm just calling the end boring in the context of this conversation.

Yet Nance loved it saying "It was the right thing to do"

It was exactly the right thing to do and has been done on the PGA Tour forever. If Potter taps in, a lot of people will start moving around the 18th green because the tournament is over. That can be a big distraction if you’re Dustin Johnson who still has a two foot putt for T2. Potter marked out of courtesy for Johnson.

you don't know if they would start moving; the finish was a foregone conclusion after he hit his tee shot. no one expects him to miss his putt. that's a ridiculous thing to say

Personally, I actually like carnage during golf tournaments. Seeing the pros have to grind out pars, and sometimes make doubles, in tough conditions makes golf more relate-able. Probably why I like the U.S. Open so much and the British in tough conditions.

Agree completely. I mean, Potter missed six greens yesterday and got up and down six times. On Sunday. At Pebble Beach. With the lead.

Gutsy round of golf.

you don't know if they would start moving; the finish was a foregone conclusion after he hit his tee shot. no one expects him to miss his putt. that's a ridiculous thing to say

I’m telling you that’s exactly why it’s done. Why do you think Nantz said it was the right thing to do on air? He’s been around the PGA Tour for over over thirty years. He understands Tour etiquette.

I’ve been to tournaments where I’ve seen big name players shush the crowd around after they putt out on a hole and a no name player still has a grinder. You’d be hard pressed to find a sport in which competitors are more respectful of each other than the PGA Tour.

Marking like Potter did is common practice in that situation.

I'm with you on this 1. I prefer tourneys where par is a good score. And with the firmness of the greens, you had pros landing it in the middle-back portions of the greens and still rolling off. Really tough day yesterday with no one going low. Have another tough and beautiful course this week in Riviera.

Yep.
Almost everything is awesome at Augusta

i'm just consistently surprised at how many people seem to enjoy, prefer really, routine pars

Dude is a journeyman who hasn’t done anything in 5 years and was up 3 going into the final hole. What else would he do? I’m consistently surprised at how out of touch people are when it comes to golf.

Hilarious.
Even Speith tweeted he was voting for Hurley.

Back