• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Playing conditions at Riviera are brutal. Never seen touring pros miss this many short putts.

JB Holmes hangs on to win by 1
Meanwhile, the others in the last group self destructed. Justin Thomas with a 75 and Adam Scott with a 76.
As you said, brutal conditions.

JB Holmes hangs on to win by 1
Meanwhile, the others in the last group self destructed. Justin Thomas with a 75 and Adam Scott with a 76.
As you said, brutal conditions.

Seemed like the guys really struggled with the poa annua greens down the stretch.

Riviera is always 1 of my favorite stops, but yeah, conditions were tough with the cold and wind. You had long hitters driving it 260-270 at times. Kim was the only 1 near the top going low. And it was nice to see Rory finally have a decent final round. Speaking of final rounds, is Spieth starting to have Sunday issues? He carded a smooth 81 yesterday. And even though he didn't have a good day yesterday, maybe Adam Scott is finally starting to overcome some of his putting woes. All of that said, JB Holmes is slow. I know that play overall was slow yesterday and that the leaders didn't fall behind, but his preshot routines take forever. He's in the same league as DeChambeau and Cantlay. I remember at Torrey a couple of years ago when he was in contention it took him literally 4-5:00 to hit his approach on 18.

Why does Holmes play so freaking slow? With his looks and game, you'd think he'd be more of a grip and rip it type guy.

Riviera is always 1 of my favorite stops, but yeah, conditions were tough with the cold and wind. You had long hitters driving it 260-270 at times. Kim was the only 1 near the top going low. And it was nice to see Rory finally have a decent final round. Speaking of final rounds, is Spieth starting to have Sunday issues? He carded a smooth 81 yesterday. And even though he didn't have a good day yesterday, maybe Adam Scott is finally starting to overcome some of his putting woes. All of that said, JB Holmes is slow. I know that play overall was slow yesterday and that the leaders didn't fall behind, but his preshot routines take forever. He's in the same league as DeChambeau and Cantlay. I remember at Torrey a couple of years ago when he was in contention it took him literally 4-5:00 to hit his approach on 18.

Not entirely accurate. The Holmes/Thomas/Scott group was putting on 14 while the Spieth/Rory/Jones group was putting out on 17. Finau's group was in between the two but i'd be shocked if that group was holding them up. Once JT got the tee after the birdie on 16 he was practically running to the tee box to hit to try and get Holmes to speed up. He should have been put on the clock for sure and until the PGA does something about it it will never change.

Why does Holmes play so freaking slow? With his looks and game, you'd think he'd be more of a grip and rip it type guy.

Yeah, he seems like an easy guy to pull for with his somewhat unconventional golf background. But he's slow as hell. Even Baker-Finch was getting on him a little bit for waiting until the guy behind him hits to start assessing his shot.

If a bb team is required to get off a shot in 30 seconds, with another team in their face trying to prevent it, you would think a golfer could get off a shot in less time with no opposition??

Didn't the Euro tour experiment with a shot clock about a year ago? I wonder what happened with that.

Yeah, they did it in Austria last year with a 40 second shot clock. Of the tours, the PGA seems to be slowest, and some of the better players over the years have been some of the bigger violators, which is probably why they never do anything about it as a practical matter. The thing I hate the most is when slow players get out their yardage books on the greens. JB did that at least once yesterday. DeChambeau does that more than anyone else I've seen.

Seems like a lot of those guys don't do any pre shot prep until it's their turn to hit, when I would think a lot of that could be done while your playing partners are hitting.

Yeah, they did it in Austria last year with a 40 second shot clock. Of the tours, the PGA seems to be slowest, and some of the better players over the years have been some of the bigger violators, which is probably why they never do anything about it as a practical matter. The thing I hate the most is when slow players get out their yardage books on the greens. JB did that at least once yesterday. DeChambeau does that more than anyone else I've seen.

When they get out their yardage books on the green they are looking at the green mapping page. As a someone who is more of a golf purist to begin with, I don’t like the fact that they even have green mapping pages. But that’s what they are looking at.

When they get out their yardage books on the green they are looking at the green mapping page. As a someone who is more of a golf purist to begin with, I don’t like the fact that they even have green mapping pages. But that’s what they are looking at.

I understand that. And it's a really bad look. Holmes did it Sunday, and he waited till others who were away putted first. DeChambeau does it all the time. The Tour ought to ban looking at books within 20 yards of a green.

I understand that. And it's a really bad look. Holmes did it Sunday, and he waited till others who were away putted first. DeChambeau does it all the time. The Tour ought to ban looking at books within 20 yards of a green.

I agree. The game would be much more appealing with more action and less contemplation.

How would you enforce a “within twenty yards of a green” rule? Just eliminate the green mapping pages from the yardage books.

How would you enforce a “within twenty yards of a green” rule? Just eliminate the green mapping pages from the yardage books.

This. Can’t read the green on your own? Tough shit.

I agree. Heck a lot depend a lot on their caddies to read the greens anyway, they shouldn’t be able to use a freaking map of the green.

Significant level of skill at reading greens should be part of touring pro capabilities. Greens maps should be for weekend duffers, or players on courses they haven't played before (or don't play often.)

Back