• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Incredibly lazy reporting. Anybody who has watched and knows Bryson knows he is a different dude. He is eating probably 4000-5000 calories per day and working out every day. It's crazy, but not that crazy, especially because it's him, and he seems to have no life besides golf, ha.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his, but I think he did it with hard work.

I don't suppose that we can go back to hickory shafts and persimmon heads; but we could limit the size of the driver's sweet spot and make driving more precise.

Being able to hit the ball farther than the next guy is always going to be an advantage, as well it should be. That’s a skill that should be rewarded.

The problem is that being able to hit the ball more accurately than the next guy should be equally rewarded, if not moreso, and that is no longer the case at most tour events.

PGA Tour 2020 Thread

Being able to hit the ball farther than the next guy is always going to be an advantage, as well it should be. That’s a skill that should be rewarded.

The problem is that being able to hit the ball more accurately than the next guy should be equally rewarded, if not moreso, and that is no longer the case at most tour events.

Bryson is long AND straight.

ETA: I can’t stand the guy.

Bryson is long AND straight.

ETA: I can’t stand the guy.

He missed a lot of fairways yesterday. I just think if guys are going to bomb it than more of a premium is going to have to be put on doing it with accuracy. If a guy hits it 350 in the fairway, then he should have a big advantage over the guy that hits it 290 in the fairway. The problem is too many times the guy that hits it 350 in the rough, still has an advantage over the guy that hits it 290 in the fairway and it think that shouldn’t be the case. It should at least be evened out somehow and that would be by making the rough more punishing.

He missed a lot of fairways yesterday. I just think if guys are going to bomb it than more of a premium is going to have to be put on doing it with accuracy. If a guy hits it 350 in the fairway, then he should have a big advantage over the guy that hits it 290 in the fairway. The problem is too many times the guy that hits it 350 in the rough, still has an advantage over the guy that hits it 290 in the fairway and it think that shouldn’t be the case. It should at least be evened out somehow and that would be by making the rough more punishing.

Well said.

Guys like Bryson, Rory, Dustin would prefer to hit the fairway I'm sure but even if they don't, they figure that 330-360 is better than 270-300 and they are going to bomb it out there. Now if there is a significant penalty for being far off the fairway or if the areas leading on to the greens are protected by exceptionally thick rough they may have to improve their accuracy or back off their power. Length is an advantage and should be. But players should not be rewarded for length alone. Accuracy must count for something.

I don't suppose that we can go back to hickory shafts and persimmon heads; but we could limit the size of the driver's sweet spot and make driving more precise.

There already are restrictions about driver head volume, spring effect, heel to toe length, impact area, etc. The USGA regularly tests clubs to ensure conformance. A weekend golfer could get away with playing a non-conforming club, but there’s no way a PGA Tour player could.

There already are restrictions about driver head volume, spring effect, heel to toe length, impact area, etc. The USGA regularly tests clubs to ensure conformance. A weekend golfer could get away with playing a non-conforming club, but there’s no way a PGA Tour player could.

Why couldn't metal heads be scaled back to the size of persimmon heads? That would reintroduce a measure of uniformity to the game and make driving the ball to require greater precision.

Why couldn't metal heads be scaled back to the size of persimmon heads? That would reintroduce a measure of uniformity to the game and make driving the ball to require greater precision.

I've still got my original Taylormade Pittsburg Persimmon metal driver, the first metal I ever had. I look at that thing now and wonder how I ever played with that thing, but you know what, I used to hit that club good. Just shows how the optics plays with your mind now that we've become accustomed to the 460cc heads.

Th first metal drivers were the size of traditional persimmon drivers. I still have my first metal driver - a Calloway Big Bertha Warbird. It's about the same size as the Macgregor persimmon I was playing before I bought it. But over the years, manufacturers kept making metal drivers bigger and bigger until the USGA finally capped the size at 460cc. There is already uniformity today in that all drivers are 460cc. I doubt anyone would want to go back.

I still play with a 20-year old Big Bertha Steelhead 3-Wood that's as good as any club on the market.

I still play with a 20-year old Big Bertha Steelhead 3-Wood that's as good as any club on the market.

Good club. I've still got a Callaway Steelhead III steel shafted 3 and 5 wood I break out on rare occasions. There really hasn't been a ton of change in fairway woods over the year compared to driver.

I would bet that if you test drove today's 3-woods in the simulator, you'd find you hit them better than your Steelhead. I still have that club as well. Hasn't been in my bag for a LONG time.

Good club. I've still got a Callaway Steelhead III steel shafted 3 and 5 wood I break out on rare occasions. There really hasn't been a ton of change in fairway woods over the year compared to driver.

That's what I was going to add to my post. No one cares how far you hit your fairway metal off the tee on a short par four. They care about driver distance. Manufacturers know this.

Th first metal drivers were the size of traditional persimmon drivers. I still have my first metal driver - a Calloway Big Bertha Warbird. It's about the same size as the Macgregor persimmon I was playing before I bought it. But over the years, manufacturers kept making metal drivers bigger and bigger until the USGA finally capped the size at 460cc. There is already uniformity today in that all drivers are 460cc. I doubt anyone would want to go back.

I was thinking about achieving some level of uniformity with the past. It is a different game which makes comparing records of the past with the present misleading and it is largely due to changes in equipment. Yet no one would want to revert to the old balls or shafts. Still, I think some effort should be made to preserve as much uniformity as is reasonable. Matching the size of club heads would seem reasonable even if the material from which they are made is different.

But it won't happen, I know.

Nonetheless, the kind of distance that is being attained at present threatens to render many old courses obsolete at least in their original form. Nothing speaks to that like almost yearly changes in Augusta National in an effort to off-set increase distances off the tee.

I would bet that if you test drove today's 3-woods in the simulator, you'd find you hit them better than your Steelhead. I still have that club as well. Hasn't been in my bag for a LONG time.

I'll try it Thursday when the range opens back up. Course is closed this week for maintenance.

I was thinking about achieving some level of uniformity with the past. It is a different game which makes comparing records of the past with the present misleading and it is largely due to changes in equipment. Yet no one would want to revert to the old balls or shafts. Still, I think some effort should be made to preserve as much uniformity as is reasonable. Matching the size of club heads would seem reasonable even if the material from which they are made is different.

But it won't happen, I know.

Nonetheless, the kind of distance that is being attained at present threatens to render many old courses obsolete at least in their original form. Nothing speaks to that like almost yearly changes in Augusta National in an effort to off-set increase distances off the tee.

How far guys hit the ball is not as important an indicator as scoring. 350 off the tee isn't the important result. Scoring is. In 1960, Billy Casper won the Vardon Trophy with a scoring average of 69.95. Last year Rory won it at 69.06. In all of the years in between, scoring averages give no indication that comparing the records of today and the past is misleading, other than than what clubs guys are hitting into 496-yard par fours.

It would be cool if they had one event a year where players were forced to play with persimmon woods and balata balls.

Back