• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Augusta National announced this morning that there will be no Patrons in attendance for November's Masters.

This would have been my 43rd consecutive year. I have gone every year since I was 12. The Masters is how my spring has always started. I feel different after it - always have. My son is 21 and he has been 17 years in a row with me. This hurts. I was going to try to break my record for egg salad sandwiches in one day, which would have been 8. Damn it.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd have figured out a way to have a limited number of patrons and maybe I could slip in. I have a golf tournament in Southern Pines that weekend anyway so I don't have to worry about a conflict now. They'll have to finish earlier in the evening now though.

Heard from a friend of mine who lives at Sedgefield: loving this week with a private tournament in his back yard. He waved to me from his deck on the 4th fairway earlier today.

This would have been my 43rd consecutive year. I have gone every year since I was 12. The Masters is how my spring has always started. I feel different after it - always have. My son is 21 and he has been 17 years in a row with me. This hurts. I was going to try to break my record for egg salad sandwiches in one day, which would have been 8. Damn it.

I was sort of looking forward to checking out Augusta National in the fall....may never have had that opportunity again. Oh well, at least I know the tickets my family member won are guaranteed for 2021 now (assuming we've got our stuff together 8 months from now).

Yeah, I was hoping they'd have figured out a way to have a limited number of patrons and maybe I could slip in. I have a golf tournament in Southern Pines that weekend anyway so I don't have to worry about a conflict now. They'll have to finish earlier in the evening now though.

They'll probably have it finished by 4 pm on that Sunday. CBS already is not doing any 1 pm football that Sunday (Fox is carrying the games that CBS would normally do in that timeslot) and they've got a handful of games in the 4 pm slot.

Webb having another good round today. -6 thru 15 and tied for third. He’d be in great pow for the Fed Ex if he can win this. Too bad there’s not a lot of Wake fans out there to cheer him on.

Heard from a friend of mine who lives at Sedgefield: loving this week with a private tournament in his back yard. He waved to me from his deck on the 4th fairway earlier today.

Daughter working the tournament as a Guilford County paramedic this week on their bike team. Kinda quiet week for them with no fans passing out from the heat but she still enjoys getting out to work it.

I'm pulling for Webb of course, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Rob Oppenheim win - he grew up right around where I did (he's five years older than me, so didn't know him) but he would tear it up in some of the amateur competitions he would enter around the Merrimack Valley in Massachusetts twenty years ago. I hadn't heard his name until a few tournaments ago and sure enough he's still getting by.

My dad played with him in a Web.com tour pro am. Had incredibly nice things to say about him. Would be cool to see him win.

Kim so close to 2 hole in ones today!

Yeah, that was unreal - and came fairly close on a 3rd. Given the lack of big names at the top, you gotta like his chances this afternoon. And Webb is probably a bit too far back unless Kim blows a gasket.

I didn't get a chance to play this weekend with all the rain we've had in central VA the last 2 days, so it's been nice to have so much cool golf to watch between Sedgefield, Renaissance and Bandon. Bandon is just wild with doubles winning holes. I enjoyed watching blast from the past Stacy Lewis win her 1st event since taking time off to have a kid. But it was odd that the South Korean contingent didn't show up for the Scottish a week before the Open. I get them not wanting to come to the US as poorly as we've handled the pandemic. But not going to Scotland where their numbers are low to prepare for Troon?

The uS Amateur semis had 2 local kids in it - Sharpstene as I mentioned was from Huntersville but recently moved to Asheville. And Gupta went to Cannon School in Concord with my kids. Pretty crazy to have 2 locals in the semis. Sharpstene was sort of an afterthought as a junior player but apparently has really gotten good. Like I said, his father was an asst pro at my club for years. GREAT GREAT guy. Gupta was not the best player on his high school team - I think he was really 3rd. Will Gordon who almost won the PGA tour even a month or so ago was on that team along with Michael Sanders who was the 4th ranked junior in the US and went to LSU. And there are others that got full rides.

The uS Amateur semis had 2 local kids in it - Sharpstene as I mentioned was from Huntersville but recently moved to Asheville. And Gupta went to Cannon School in Concord with my kids. Pretty crazy to have 2 locals in the semis. Sharpstene was sort of an afterthought as a junior player but apparently has really gotten good. Like I said, his father was an asst pro at my club for years. GREAT GREAT guy. Gupta was not the best player on his high school team - I think he was really 3rd. Will Gordon who almost won the PGA tour even a month or so ago was on that team along with Michael Sanders who was the 4th ranked junior in the US and went to LSU. And there are others that got full rides.

I assume they don't have a clock in the Amateur. Gupta is amazingly slow.

Dang those are some reallyyyy low scores. TPC Boston is not a particularly hard (or noteworthy) course though.

DJ is 7 under on the day ... through 5 holes

DJ's start was video gamesque:

1st hole: 10 footer for birdie
2nd hole: 41 footer for eagle
3rd hole: 19 footer for birdie
4th hole: drove the green; 4 footer for eagle
5th hole: 14 footer for birdie

Wow.

Dang those are some reallyyyy low scores. TPC Boston is not a particularly hard (or noteworthy) course though.

You would think they would play the first round of the playoffs on a tougher track, but the Tour loves its TPC courses.

Back