• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Olympia Fields is kicking some ass today. The leader is -2. Only 9 players under par.

Long way to go still obviously, but as of now, no one in the top 10 in Fed Ex cup points is in the top 10 on the BMW leaderboard. If that holds, Webb's decision to skip this week will look pretty good.

https://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

Does Olympia Fields favor long hitters? I just saw an hour of it last night and didn't see enough to form an opinion. Guys like Zach and Webb tend to pick and choose non-major/Players tourneys based on avoiding venues that too obviously favor bombers. I remember following Zach and Rory 1 time at Eastlake, and the difference between their drives was similar to that Masters with Tiger and DiMarco.

After seeing the players, especially DJ, destroy the course last week, it’s nice to see such a change with the course playing so tough. One extreme to the other.

After seeing the players, especially DJ, destroy the course last week, it’s nice to see such a change with the course playing so tough. One extreme to the other.

I agree. A birdie barrage like last week just means an easy golf course, soft playing conditions, accessible pin placements, or a combination of all three. I enjoy watching the best players in the world have to think their way around a golf course set up to where par is a good score. The tournament tees at Olympia Fields are about 7300 yards, not a particularly long course by today's standards. But the set up forces players to think about the game on the ground as well as the one in the air.

And the players love it. Read their comments about the course, particularly Rory Mcilroy's.

I do wonder about the hardness of the greens, however. It doesn't seem quite right that in order to hold a green you must land 10-15 yds in front and hope the ball stops before rolling off the back.

Even so, I much prefer a tough course where par is a good score and under par is exceptional.

Five way tie for the lead at even.

Kind of makes you wonder what Mike Davis and the USGA will do with the setup at Winged Foot in a few weeks. I mean will the USGA really want people saying the US Open setup easier than the setup for the BMW championship?

Kind of makes you wonder what Mike Davis and the USGA will do with the setup at Winged Foot in a few weeks. I mean will the USGA really want people saying the US Open setup easier than the setup for the BMW championship?

Yeah, it will be interesting. I read a Rory quote this morning in which he said Winged Foot should hire the Western Golf Association, who set up Olympia Fields this week, to set up the course for the US Open, in kind of jab at the USGA.

I remember the 1974 US Open at Winged Foot at which the cut came at +13 and Hale Irwin won at +7. It was thought at the time that the USGA set up the course as severely as they did in response to Johnny Miller’s 63 at Oakmont the year prior.

The USGA can be vindictive.

Rory deserved better today - missed some makeable putts. I like the set up and the course. Couldn't play here today due to the rain so worked out to the Euros at the Belfry - brought back RC memories, mostly unpleasant.

As for Winged Foot, they don't have to do much to make that difficult. But I don't think Mike Davis is doing the set ups any longer, which is too bad. I thought he was fairer than his predecessors, especially at Olympic. Felt bad for him at Shinnecock, the 1 time he let a course get out of control.

saw today that matsuyama is only 28 which was mind blowing. woulda sworn that he was about 40.

Back