• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Are Reed (age 31) and DeChambeau (age 28)both horrible too in your alls eyes? They are both ranked in the top 40, have won majors and will win them again.

61 year old John Huston was asked to fill a spot in the Canadian Open after like 3 other dudes passed. He hasn't cashed a check since 2010.

Can I get a list of golfers you all don't believe are trash or assholes? I imagine one or two of whatever list you provide will be signed for LIV by the end of the week.

The PGA Tour needs to go beg Phil Mickelson and Greg Norman and work with them immediately. Not pretend they are inhumane and evil. That path did not work.

I'll do the assholes:

Mickelson
Norman
DeChambeau
Reed
DJ
Sergio
Poulter
DR (the poster)

Phil, that was a little awkward.

Also, LIV is weird.

Kind of like how everyone says "NLI" for NIL, when NLI is a national letter of intent.

Was LIVE taken?

Yep, we'll keep a running list.

It really sucks to say because for some reason I really liked his game for a lot of years, but Paul Casey sucks as well. Have heard too much about him the last ~3 years.

Grayson Murray is an immediate add to the list.

The majors will be bigger than ever.

Now that there is no longer a dominant tour in golf, all the best will gather for those 4 events. The Players field will take a major hit. If the PGA Championship excludes players, it will lose it's status as a Major quickly.

The majors will be bigger than ever.

Now that there is no longer a dominant tour in golf, all the best will gather for those 4 events. The Players field will take a major hit. If the PGA Championship excludes players, it will lose it's status as a Major quickly.

What are you talking about? The best always "gather for those 4 events", except when Phil does something really stupid and has to take himself out. PGA Championship will still be a major if Kevin Na and DJ don't play.

Are Reed (age 31) and DeChambeau (age 28)both horrible too in your alls eyes? They are both ranked in the top 40, have won majors and will win them again.

61 year old John Huston was asked to fill a spot in the Canadian Open after like 3 other dudes passed. He hasn't cashed a check since 2010.

Can I get a list of golfers you all don't believe are trash or assholes? I imagine one or two of whatever list you provide will be signed for LIV by the end of the week.

The PGA Tour needs to go beg Phil Mickelson and Greg Norman and work with them immediately. Not pretend they are inhumane and evil. That path did not work.

there are still lots and lots of good american golfers that haven't been linked at all to LIV:

Scheffler
Morikawa
JT
Spieth
Homa
Cantlay
Horschel
Schauffele
Zalatoris
Finau
Cam Young
Kisner
Berger
Harris English
Webb

.......and the people's CHAMP HARRY HIGGS

there are still lots and lots of good american golfers that haven't been linked at all to LIV:

Scheffler
Morikawa
JT
Spieth
Homa
Cantlay
Horschel
Schauffele
Zalatoris
Finau
Cam Young
Kisner
Berger
Harris English
Webb

.......and the people's CHAMP HARRY HIGGS

Tell me you follow NLU without telling me you follow NLU.

actually don't follow NLU too closely - more of a chasing scratch, random golf club, bob does sports consumer

if kisner, higgs, and/or homa went to LIV i'd be legit sad

Professional golf should become some combination of the Majors, the LIV events, and the World Golf Championship events. Basically top 100 players in the world, play 15-20 times a year for huge money. Some sort of fixed team aspect that makes people care about the whole season, and bring some Ryder Cup team-type pressure onto these guys. 54 holes is fine for most tournaments - just like men's tennis, which is often 3-set matches except for the majors. Majors should all be 72 holes as in the past. I don't like the shotgun start, and I bet that goes away.

Don't get me wrong, I like to kick my feet up on Sundays, sort of fall asleep and have golf on in the background, wake up if it is compelling with 3-4 holes to play. Just like my dad and my granddads did.

But my kids hate it. It is stale, in part because the fields really are so deep, and because the big names already play limited schedules, so the random guys are often at the top of the board. I'm a lifelong golfer and golf fan, and so it is compelling (to me) when I watch a guy try to win for the first time, even if it is the John Deere or Wyndham or whatever. But not to the general viewer.

Now that Tiger is pretty much done, golf needs a new way to bring new eyeballs and fans. The same old same old is not likely the answer, unless there is another Tiger lurking. Tiger pretty much showed the way, though - golfers need to be athletic and strong to compete (so almost all of them are), and Tiger brought so much money to the game that it is now super deep (which makes it hard for another dominant player to emerge). Being an American-born minority in a lily-white sport also helped tremendously. Good luck finding the next Tiger.

The team concept is really the way to go. If they figure that out, and figure out a few other broadcast wrinkles that are compelling, golf will be a much better sport for the fans and likely for the top players.

The PGA Tour has not evolved rapidly enough and was/is a sitting duck. But for Phil's comments, the field this week would be 2x as strong. I bet next year it will be 3x as strong as this week's version.

Personally, I wish it would just stay the same and LIV would go away. But that is not happening, and the reasons why make perfect sense. The big names would be (are?) wise to take the huge signing bonus money now because that will go away once they get really solid fields.

if kisner, higgs, and/or homa went to LIV i'd be legit sad

I root for those guys too. Kisner is too much of a competitor to play on a tour that doesn't matter, and he loves any chance he gets to play in a RC or PC (look at his record in Austin). LIV wouldn't offer a journeyman like Higgs much, and he appears to enjoy the PGA tour too much to only play 8 times a year and then look where in Asia he can get in a few more tourneys. Homa is left of center and wouldn't take Saudi $$. Add to that his dream has been to play the tour, and he likes that taste of winning. He's in it for the glory at least as much as the $$. So don't worry. So far the LIV is American assholes, mostly nice but over the hill Euros, a few decent Euros in their somewhat primes, some nice but over the hill guys from RSA and some unknowns.

Good post, ABC.

i could see pat perez cashing some fat LIV checks

Professional golf should become some combination of the Majors, the LIV events, and the World Golf Championship events. Basically top 100 players in the world, play 15-20 times a year for huge money. Some sort of fixed team aspect that makes people care about the whole season, and bring some Ryder Cup team-type pressure onto these guys. 54 holes is fine for most tournaments - just like men's tennis, which is often 3-set matches except for the majors. Majors should all be 72 holes as in the past. I don't like the shotgun start, and I bet that goes away.

Don't get me wrong, I like to kick my feet up on Sundays, sort of fall asleep and have golf on in the background, wake up if it is compelling with 3-4 holes to play. Just like my dad and my granddads did.

But my kids hate it. It is stale, in part because the fields really are so deep, and because the big names already play limited schedules, so the random guys are often at the top of the board. I'm a lifelong golfer and golf fan, and so it is compelling (to me) when I watch a guy try to win for the first time, even if it is the John Deere or Wyndham or whatever. But not to the general viewer.

Now that Tiger is pretty much done, golf needs a new way to bring new eyeballs and fans. The same old same old is not likely the answer, unless there is another Tiger lurking. Tiger pretty much showed the way, though - golfers need to be athletic and strong to compete (so almost all of them are), and Tiger brought so much money to the game that it is now super deep (which makes it hard for another dominant player to emerge). Being an American-born minority in a lily-white sport also helped tremendously. Good luck finding the next Tiger.

The team concept is really the way to go. If they figure that out, and figure out a few other broadcast wrinkles that are compelling, golf will be a much better sport for the fans and likely for the top players.

The PGA Tour has not evolved rapidly enough and was/is a sitting duck. But for Phil's comments, the field this week would be 2x as strong. I bet next year it will be 3x as strong as this week's version.

Personally, I wish it would just stay the same and LIV would go away. But that is not happening, and the reasons why make perfect sense. The big names would be (are?) wise to take the huge signing bonus money now because that will go away once they get really solid fields.

I get the sentiment behind the post, but I disagree with a few of the points.

I hate watching most golf on TV, I think that comes down to the PGA and the broadcasters and the deals that they have signed. The package that they put out is garbage.

The fields being deep I don’t think is the negative you think it is. Parity is at its highest point in the game in my lifetime meaning that kids can latch onto one of any number of phenomenal golfers. Now, most of those golfers are rich white dudes, but diversity is growing in the game, and having a deeper field with more personalities I would think would make it easier for people to like/dislike more people.
The thing to me is, I don’t think it’s pro golf that’s really going to grow the game at this point for traditionally underrepresented communities. I think it’s a bit because it’s a chicken and the egg type of thing. You might have another Tiger, but the combination of background and transcendent talent, means that there’s a slim to none chance.

#growingthegame starts with how accessible the game is, and getting people to non-judgmental, and frankly, fucking fun places to engage with the game. Golf and the people who have a hand in running it, have to be more comfortable with golf breaking more ground than just 18 holes out in a field. Honestly the time is ripe, you see more and more resort courses adding in fun par 3’s that let people engage with the game differently, places like sweetens, winter park 9, etc. are steps in the right direction but more needs to be done. Companies like Malbon partnering with Schoolboy Q, and the shift in apparel lines have shown to be promising in the last few years. There’s a lot that has to be done in shifting the perceptual view of what it means to golf.

I think that golf has a major accessibility problem, and by addressing that problem you might cultivate an environment that allows for transcendent generational talent to engage with the game, and then become bright stars.

So yeah, I think there are a lot of problems, a lot of it falls on the PGA tour and their broadcasting partners and they need to fix those problems, but they also need to and can do significantly more in diversifying the game and cultivating an environment where this takeover would be less feasible.

To me, 72 holes with a cut, for tournament golf, is right. However, even if it isn’t, I don’t think that having teams, and a shiny new broadcasting package, or players earning a shit ton more money addresses the accessibility problems, nor do I think that anything LIV is doing will get your kids to engage with the sport more than they would if it was the PGA tour.

Back