• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

It also seems like a position you get by not turning down opportunities to make $$$$.

man - i love making money, but there's more to life than measuring yourself against your tax return each year

man - i love making money, but there's more to life than measuring yourself against your tax return each year

There’s nothing more to business than making money. Life yes, business no.

I’m also laughing at the repeated argument “the Saudis are evil because they have no real legitimate plan to make money from this.”

I keep thinking neither do most of you!

I’m also laughing at the repeated argument “the Saudis are evil because they have no real legitimate plan to make money from this.”

Who has repeated that argument? That is not why they are evil

Who has said that?
giphy.gif

Brandel for one.

Not everyone’s goal is to make money. I get it. It’s ok. Whatever is motivating the Saudis is allowed. Folks are allowed to make what some of us consider bad financial decisions. If there weren’t financially dumb folks, no one could get rich!

You dismissed this and said the PGA Tour should ban folks. That was wrong and wrong.

The way to handle this from the start was not to piss off the rich guy and just let folks go play. It would have defused the controversy. Instead the PGA Tour forced a choice and condemned those who left. This only raised the stakes—a battle they could not win. They kept raising everyone’s offers every time Finchem called them evil.

And players were never happy with how the tour clandestinely suspended and ostracized Phil and others. Causing even more of them not to be loyal.

Now Jay had another meeting today telling players they will have to bear the cost of the legal fees for the PGA Tour’s uncompetitive antics. More are pissed and on brink.

Monahan should start listening to his own players at these meetings and stop lecturing them. If he hasn’t figure it out yet, that plan doesn’t work.
You would agree the PGA should do everything legally in their power to destroy a competitor? Just like Volkwagon passing Tesla in EV sales as they point out the shitty Tesla mom cars. The thing I hate about the PGA is their non profit status. They should drop that charade just like the NFL did.

No, I don’t agree they should. What the PGA Tour is doing is both dumb and only makes the competitor stronger and more motivated. And it’s also illegal under American laws.

Nothing to this point is making LIV worth watching for the average golf fan imo. It is just diluting the PGAT, see no way it overtakes it in viewership or interest. If they start getting big college/young player commitments, that may change things.

I watched 10 mins of the first round and there was 0 that made me want to watch further at a blah course. Haven’t even seen much chatter about how bland and bad their venues are right now. This is already an issue on the PGAT for some events and LIV offers nothing here and likely never will.

If the PGAT can find a better way to quickly promote KFT players, get rid of some of the veteran exemptions that uncompetitive players use, cut some events, have a real off-season, tweak the ball/driver head so classic courses can get back on Tour - then that can help the product and improve the fan experience. At least what I am hoping for.

I found the PGA Tour’s reported response today to the LIV tour quite humorous. For weeks we’ve been hearing a 50 player field with no cut and guaranteed money is not a proper tournament. So, what’s the original idea the tour came up with to keep their top players happy in response to LIV? A 50 player field with no cut and guaranteed money.

The PGA Tour never said that. I have never heard that as a serious argument against LIV. Maye a few posts on here. That's meaningless.

No, I don’t agree they should. What the PGA Tour is doing is both dumb and only makes the competitor stronger and more motivated. And it’s also illegal under American laws.

This idea that when the PGA Tour does something it somehow pisses of LIV and they react with revenge is so silly.What are they 12 years old? That's not how actual serious business and institutions work.

The PGA Tour never said that. I have never heard that as a serious argument against LIV. Maye a few posts on here. That's meaningless.

What are you talking about? That’s all the players and talking heads kept saying. These aren’t real tournaments. They’re just exhibition matches. Then, they turn around and do the same thing to try and keep their players.

Look, the tour can act all sanctimonious when Monahan sits up there and says you don’t have to apologize for being on this tour. But, at the end of the day, it’s about money and it appears Phil was right. Apparently, the tour came up with a shit ton of more prize money overnight out of thin air. They know they need to pay more to keep their guys and I just found it amusing that the idea they came up is the identical way LIV is doing it.

This idea that when the PGA Tour does something it somehow pisses of LIV and they react with revenge is so silly.What are they 12 years old? That's not how actual serious business and institutions work.

I represent mult-billion dollar companies. Let me assure you that this is exactly how many CEOs work.

They act just like Jay Monahan. Instead of doing the smart thing and diffusing the situation. They raise the stakes, act like 12 year olds, seek revenge, and fuck up.

And usually because, just like Jay, they never built the damn company to begin with.

What are you talking about? That’s all the players and talking heads kept saying. These aren’t real tournaments. They’re just exhibition matches. Then, they turn around and do the same thing to try and keep their players.

Look, the tour can act all sanctimonious when Monahan sits up there and says you don’t have to apologize for being on this tour. But, at the end of the day, it’s about money and it appears Phil was right. Apparently, the tour came up with a shit ton of more prize money overnight out of thin air. They know they need to pay more to keep their guys and I just found it amusing that the idea they came up is the identical way LIV is doing it.

Are these tournaments going to be 54 holes? Shotgun starts? Team components? Spread out across the world?

Monahan looks like Ron Wellman up there trying to justify why he was applying 1995 logic to a whole new world.

He was outflanked from go by horribly bad decision. Both his constituents and Wellman's fed both their heads with Bullshit about how what they were doing was correct. Massive losses result.

Monahan looks like Ron Wellman up there trying to justify why he was applying 1995 logic to a whole new world.

He was outflanked from go by horribly bad decision. Both his constituents and Wellman's fed both their heads with Bullshit about how what they were doing was correct. Massive losses result.

So, by focusing your attack on Monahan, are you admitting that you were wrong that this LIV v. PGA dispute was about giving the players, as independent contractors, the right to play whenever and wherever they want? Will there be no "slam-dunk" lawsuit against the PGA?

The talk of lawsuits between players and the PGA has evaporated as LIV is simply a rival tour that sought to attract high-profile (but declining) players away from the PGAT, and as part of these deals, the LIV players are prohibited from playing in PGA events,, not because of PGAT suspensions, but the LIV defectors agreed to play for LIV exclusively as part of their big money contracts.

We shall see where this goes, but to this point, the LIV Tour has simply rid the PGAT of the assholes that people generally rooted against. The Canadian Open with Rory v. JT v. Finau was great. The US Open with no LIV Tour players in contention was great. The Travelers this weekend has a great field. Agree that the potential exists for the PGAT to suffer damage, but way too early for DR's victory laps because Kevin Na, Patrick Reed and Bryson are no longer annoying everyone on regular PGA Tour stops.

T

So, by focusing your attack on Monahan, are you admitting that you were wrong that this LIV v. PGA dispute was about giving the players, as independent contractors, the right to play whenever and wherever they want? Will there be no "slam-dunk" lawsuit against the PGA?

The talk of lawsuits between players and the PGA has evaporated as LIV is simply a rival tour that sought to attract high-profile (but declining) players away from the PGAT, and as part of these deals, the LIV players are prohibited from playing in PGA events,, not because of PGAT suspensions, but the LIV defectors agreed to play for LIV exclusively as part of their big money contracts.

We shall see where this goes, but to this point, the LIV Tour has simply rid the PGAT of the assholes that people generally rooted against. The Canadian Open with Rory v. JT v. Finau was great. The US Open with no LIV Tour players in contention was great. The Travelers this weekend has a great field. Agree that the potential exists for the PGAT to suffer damage, but way too early for DR's victory laps because Kevin Na, Patrick Reed and Bryson are no longer annoying everyone on regular PGA Tour stops.

T

No I was 100% right and you were wrong. The LIV, if handled the way Monahan approached it, will result in millions and millions more for PGA Tours. Phil and Norman won.

If the PGA Tour does try to actually enforce their bans, which I seriously doubt now that they have admitted their approach was horrible, they will lose in Court too.

Want to make an on the record prediction on which of those 5 guys you bet will flip? Your options are: the guy who said on twitter today he will not be leaving (Morikawa), two very high profile guys that have been very outspoken against LIV (Thomas, Rory), and two well-liked guys under 29 years old that have shown no public signs whatsoever of being interested in LIV (Zalatoris, Spieth).

So I guess the answer was no, DR does not want to make an actual bet as to which of these 5 guys will leave for LIV. Probably because he realized he is just saying shit to say it and none of them will be leaving.

Back