• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Pretty sure the 4PM meeting is just going to be about whether players will be allowed to wear shorts now.

I mean, if I'm Rory, JT, Rahm I would absolutely light into Monahan in front of everyone. While I generally disagree with everything DR ever says, he's kind of right here. Those guys have plenty of money, but missed out on 9 figures to support leadership that just went and took the bag behind their backs.

I'm wondering if the Saudi investment will include pro-rated payouts for all current PGA tour members, or something along those lines. Probably not, as that would cost several billion, but who knows.

Preempting the inevitable claims of insider knowledge...

I mean, if I'm Rory, JT, Rahm I would absolutely light into Monahan in front of everyone. While I generally disagree with everything DR ever says, he's kind of right here. Those guys have plenty of money, but missed out on 9 figures to support leadership that just went and took the bag behind their backs.

I'm wondering if the Saudi investment will include pro-rated payouts for all current PGA tour members, or something along those lines. Probably not, as that would cost several billion, but who knows.

Yep. He trotted them out as shields the last year and went behind their backs. They should be furious and calling for Monahan's head.

As to the 2nd part, it's pretty clean money is just not an issue to those guys.

LK I don’t think it’s a laughing matter anymore to use phrases like “chopping block” and “calling for his head”

Yet Patrick reed still has his hands I think so maybe it’s a kinder gentler Saudi overlord situation now.

You can pretty much kiss charitable donations to anything that offends the Muslim world goodbye. They've mostly put a stop to F1 racers making any sort of political or social statements.
That's what one of my first thoughts as well.

I don't think the PGA tour was going to lose the lawsuit. I think in the end Saudi money won out. If I was one of the players that stayed loyal to the PGA tour I would be very upset right now.

Last edited:
Money is always the answer in these situations. Going to barf when the new tour holds a three day no cut team event.

Money is always the answer in these situations. Going to barf when the new tour holds a three day no cut team event.
I don’t have a problem with that format occasionally. I do think that’s a problem if it’s the only format, with a shotgun start.

This is likely really going to hurt the mid/lower-level PGA guys. I have a good buddy that has been consistently anywhere from 90-125 on tour for the better part of a decade, and I can't imagine this is good for him.

This is likely really going to hurt the mid/lower-level PGA guys. I have a good buddy that has been consistently anywhere from 90-125 on tour for the better part of a decade, and I can't imagine this is good for him.
Obviously the new cash is going to the top players. That was one of the Mickelson's issues with the tour was that the biggest stars weren't getting their fair take. Plus, the PGAT will likely find way to get some of the new Saudi money to the best players that spurned LIV as a peace offering.

With that said, think that the best players will not be required to play as often going forward but there is a need for golf content essentially every week; so, there will be opportunities for the rank and file to climb the ladder, but guessing it will be harder to climb to the highest echelon.

I'd guess players at that level will still make similar money to what they do now. It doesn't feel like they are taking money from the lower level players to pay the top players more. Just that a shitload of new money will come in and be distributed to the top players.

Money talks. New or profit, global enterprise. PGA Tour was broken. Mismanagement, funneling funds, shitty competition, US only, same tired tournaments and sponsors.
Monahan should resign, today.

Lol at Monahan "The PGA Tour, YOUR TOUR, is blahblahblah" when none of the players on "their" tour had any idea this was happening.

The shit sandwich Monahan is eating with these press releases, and by association force-feeding to the players, is unreal. So either Monahan was threatened with dismemberment or he's getting a privately wired bonus of $200M+ coming once the deal is signed.

C'mon, time for the Tiger/Rory/Rahm tour!

Fx8vWQzXsAMScoY

man I am in shock of this. This is probably the most shocking golf news to come out since Tiger's scandal. Completely out of nowhere.

Anyone want to bet the new tour kills the ball rollback on behalf of the equipment manufacturers to get them to sponsor teams?

Back