• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Bryson on Saudi Arabia and 9/11:

"20 years has passed and we're in a place now where it's time to start trying to work together to make things better together as a whole."

"As we move forward from that we've gotta look towards a pathway to peace...and forgiveness, especially if we're trying to mend the world and make it a better place."

"It's unfortunate what has happened and that's something I cannot necessarily speak on...I'm a golfer."

"Nobody's perfect."

ice-cube-da-fuq.gif

Bryson on Saudi Arabia and 9/11:

"20 years has passed and we're in a place now where it's time to start trying to work together to make things better together as a whole."

"As we move forward from that we've gotta look towards a pathway to peace...and forgiveness, especially if we're trying to mend the world and make it a better place."

"It's unfortunate what has happened and that's something I cannot necessarily speak on...I'm a golfer."

"Nobody's perfect."

ice-cube-da-fuq.gif

Then STFU DeChamdouche

As disgusting as this all is, it really sounds like both sides had a lot to gain from this. The Tour needed money. The PIF needed access to the main engine behind global golf. Since it's going to happen, hopefully they find a creative way to significantly improve the product so that pro golf is about more than 4 tournaments/yr.

Rory expected to speak with the media within the hour

I expect his response to be mixed...in support of the merger but frustrated with Monahan for using him as a human shield for the last year and then negotiating behind his back. Rory has been pretty vocal about wanting everyone to come together.

I expect his response to be mixed...in support of the merger but frustrated with Monahan for using him as a human shield for the last year and then negotiating behind his back. Rory has been pretty vocal about wanting everyone to come together.
Yes. And Rory is not American and that makes a big difference.

i'm interested in how he handles the Saudi piece.
I feel like the Saudi piece of this has been a convenient reason for many to hate on LIV. How people handle that piece of it now will be an interesting indicator as to if it was truly their morals against it, or if the reasons were around other aspects.

I don't think it was ever about the Saudi connection for Rory. He's always played events there and the middle east. I think for him it was truly about protecting the legacy of the PGA Tour.

Disappointed to see him get completely cucked by Monahan and just take it.

He's right. LIV was just a vehicle to get the PIF in the door. The only thing that will be left from LIV will be the players and hopefully parts of the team format.

And now LIV can stop paying for all the damn bots they spawned on twitter.

Me right now: Gross hypocrisy! This sucks! LIV wins, everything is about money, nobody has any morals anymore, fire Monahan, kill the deal, call the senate revoke their tax status!

Me in a few weeks: All the players are back together? Coverage is going all 4k multi-stream on any device with 50% fewer commercials? Insane amounts of money are flowing into the game, courses, promotion, the Korn Ferry tour, etc? The Ryder Cup is healed? Fuck it, I'm in.

I think the real question, assuming this gets voted through, will be whether the next year shows legitimate leaps forward in the product and a massive benefit for fans - or if it becomes clear the only outcomes anyone cared about were a big fat money grab at the expense of Saudi influence. If everything stays basically the same but a bunch of tournaments just move to the middle east and the stars get nice pay-to-play incentives on top of larger purses overall - that will suck.

Back