• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

It's not that East Lake sucks. It's that it's the same thing every year. You have a very limited field...they out some new courses, or visit some classics and have limited attendance.
Would love to see them rotate the Tour Championship among classic courses. It used to do this. In its early years courses like Southern Hills, The Olympic Club, and Pebble Beach hosted. With the U.S Open and PGA buttoned up for years, it would give some of those venues a chance to shine every so often, and it could elevate the event as well. Whether those memberships would sign on, who knows, but it would be a positive development. And I like East Lake a lot as a Ross fanatic, but variety would help.

Rory's comments definitely put a little bit of a different spin on things. Framing it as simply adopting LIV's funding source because the money was going to be spent regardless, and that now all that money goes to a tour run by Monahan - and even that all LIV personnel will technically report to Jay moving forward... That softens the whole "LIV is merging with the PGA Tour" thing. Dealing with the defectors will be big - can't see them kicking out current PGA Tour card holders to let in guys like Matthew Wolff. Would love to see those guys simply start from zero but no longer be banned - to have to earn their way back on from scratch.

i imagine something like this will happen

might be more money to be made on the LIV tour vs PGA for guys like Matt Wolff even post-merger

There will be no LIV tour. LIV is dead after this season. They have no intention of running that tour again after this "merger".

Would love to see the PGA Tour extract a pound of flesh from LIV participants prior to allowing the back on. Would PIF really care? It's their money either way.

I'd do the reinstatement like this:
If you had no status before you went to LIV, no status now. Go to q school.

If you had status you can regain the exact same status:
---2024: pay a fine in the amount of half of your signing bonus with LIV
---2025 season: pay a fine 25% of your signing bonus
---2026: keep your sign in but enjoy q school. No status regained.
Would the fine be split among those who stayed on the PGA Tour?

I'd do the reinstatement like this:
If you had no status before you went to LIV, no status now. Go to q school.

If you had status you can regain the exact same status:
---2024: pay a fine in the amount of half of your signing bonus with LIV
---2025 season: pay a fine 25% of your signing bonus
---2026: keep your sign in but enjoy q school. No status regained.
If it's just no status before, no status now and pay half your LIV signing bonus, I'd be happy. But I do think it'll be more in the nature of a fine than suspensions for everyone. That said, there should be suspensions for named plaintiffs and a longer 1 for Mickelson.

Im imagining there are going to be some payments to those who stayed on tour. I don't know how theyll choose exactly who or what the amounts, but I'd put the fines towards those payments.

Rory's comments definitely put a little bit of a different spin on things. Framing it as simply adopting LIV's funding source because the money was going to be spent regardless, and that now all that money goes to a tour run by Monahan - and even that all LIV personnel will technically report to Jay moving forward... That softens the whole "LIV is merging with the PGA Tour" thing. Dealing with the defectors will be big - can't see them kicking out current PGA Tour card holders to let in guys like Matthew Wolff. Would love to see those guys simply start from zero but no longer be banned - to have to earn their way back on from scratch.
I have no faith in Jay Monahan doing the right thing in regards to the defectors. There should be significant fines and some suspensions.

Listening to PGA tour radio last night the rumor was that Rory was kept in the loop about the merger unlike the other tour players. If that's true, his comments having a different spin didn't really surprise me.

So the proposal here is that the LIV guys give back the money they got from PIF, to the PGA, when PIF is now part owner of the PGA. LOL. Maybe come up with something else.

I have no faith in Jay Monahan doing the right thing in regards to the defectors. There should be significant fines and some suspensions.

Listening to PGA tour radio last night the rumor was that Rory was kept in the loop about the merger unlike the other tour players. If that's true, his comments having a different spin didn't really surprise me.
That tracks with Rory standing down a few weeks ago. I find it hard to believe they didn't let any players know. There must have been an inner circle. The question is who and do we care?

Seems very likely LIV golfers will be accepted back with no or few conditions. I assume PGA Tour golfers will get make good money to help heal any wounds.

That tracks with Rory standing down a few weeks ago. I find it hard to believe they didn't let any players know. There must have been an inner circle. The question is who and do we care?

Seems very likely LIV golfers will be accepted back with no or few conditions. I assume PGA Tour golfers will get make good money to help heal any wounds.
I find that very hard to believe.

I don't know how leadership implements penalties for defecting when they themselves have also defected and they have signed up all other players to defect as well.

They did say yesterday that they're going to give LIV players a "fair way" to get back to PGA status after the 2023 season wraps up. So that to me did indicate that there will be some terms and potential qualification needs to be met for at least some of the LIV folks.

Or they were using the word as "fairway" to get back on Tour which would imply an open avenue in golf vernacular.

Can't see the PGAT just "letting" all of the LIV Golf players back on the PGA Tour. The tendency is to think that all of the LIV guys were as good as Kopeka and Cam Smith. Nope. The LIV tour was filled with journeyman that may not be playing at tour level at this point.

Because each player's situation is different, there can't be a just a simple waiver for all LIV players as there are LIV players that were on the verge of losing their tour cards before they took the LIV money. Guys like Peter Uihlein, Cam Tringale, Hudson Swofford, Charles Howell III and Anirban Lahiri may have already played themselves out of the PGAT cards by now even if they hadn't jumped to LIV. There's no way those guys (and there are quite a few others that fall in that category) essentially should get fully exempt tour status back, ahead of other players that have grinded their way to full or partial tour status over the past year. A lot if not most of those fringe LIV guys will have to earn their cards back via Korn Ferry.

For the handful of elite LIV players like Cam Smith, DJ, Bryson and Koepka, who have won majors in the last 5 years, they are already qualified to keep their PGAT status based on accomplishments in their bag (also sponsors of tour events and the networks will want them back); so, I can see some process where they get limited status back, and can play in a handful of PGAT events right away; perhaps, they have to pay a fee based on their LIV income, but they are going to play in PGAT events in 2024, but there will be plenty of LIV players that will be forced to qualify like everyone else.

I think they have to solve 2 problems with players coming back.

1) a path for suspended/resigned players to return. Probably some sort of fine there.

2) making existing players whole financially for missed opportunity. I think one reasonable solution would be having some cash grab events that only non-LIV defectors can play in. Or a season long prize pool that only non-LIV players are eligible for.

I doubt they will be able to clawback enough from the defectors and redirect it to the non treasonous players.

"Accepted back" probably isn't the right phrasing since it's a merger.
Merger isn't the right word. LIV isn't merging with the PGA. PIF is now partnering with the PGA and DP tours beginning in 2024 and dropping LIV. So guys without sufficient ranking points will have to go the Korn Ferry route. Guys with sufficient points will have to pay a fine in order to return, probably a % of their LIV bonus. And I do think there will be suspensions for named plaintiffs. Throw in LK's point #2 as well. And I don't think the Saudi prince will care what penalties the PGA and DP place on their LIV golfers because he is likely extremely pissed at Greg and Phil and the embarrassment that LIV has been.

Back