• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SC woman thrown in jail for letting her kid play in park

Some good points raised in that article, none are quite quotable though. Mainly, the idea that social norms/acceptance seems to be the driving factor in all of this than actual (or statistical) safety. Hadn't thought about it quite like that, and it's hard to disagree with some of the examples he gives.

Nine years old does sound young on the surface, but I was in the fifth grade when I was nine and my parents let me run around the neighborhood, ride bikes, etc. without supervision all the time, I'm sure some of the old farts here got into even more trouble at nine years old

The biggest point is that it's almost impossible for afford child care on a minimal wage salary.

I'd wander around the neighborhood for hours with a BB gun at that age. Cross fairly busy streets. Mess around in creeks. Whatever. I probably wouldn't let my kids do all that though and my daughter's 8.5.

The biggest point is that it's almost impossible for afford child care on a minimal wage salary.

The mother and the day care worker are both minimum wage workers, yes? Increasing the minimum wage would increase day care costs as well.

What annoys me is when they arrest people for leaving their kids unattended in a car for like 5 minutes to run into a store. Unless it is 100 degrees out, the kid is going to be fine and is perfectly safe in a carseat in a locked car. It is a pain in the ass to get the kid in and out of the car to run into a store to get some TP, especially if the kid is asleep or if there is more than one kid.

What annoys me is when they arrest people for leaving their kids unattended in a car for like 5 minutes to run into a store. Unless it is 100 degrees out, the kid is going to be fine and is perfectly safe in a carseat in a locked car. It is a pain in the ass to get the kid in and out of the car to run into a store to get some TP, especially if the kid is asleep or if there is more than one kid.

Seriously. When I was a kid we were lucky if mom didn't roll the windows up and turn the heater on before she started her shifts on stage at "work." Sometimes a stray dog would offer us their water but couldn't open the door. Homeless people would come by and knock on the windows and taunt us with OE 40s like fish in a tank. Sooner or later we'd pass out and stop producing so much heat hoping that mom would get drunk and high enough to get fired and drive us safely home to our trailer.

lol

just awesome given the major spotlight on kids in cars deaths

If you leave the kid in there for like an hour and a half, sure, unadvisable. But 5-10 minutes is fine once the kid is like 3 years old.

In your world, it's the same to leave an infant totally unattended in a car as it is to allow a 9yo to play in a park with their friends, about 40 people and adults.

WOW!

I'd wander around the neighborhood for hours with a BB gun at that age. Cross fairly busy streets. Mess around in creeks. Whatever. I probably wouldn't let my kids do all that though and my daughter's 8.5.

I did the same.

So why not let your kids? Nothing has changed in terms of danger. If anything, America is safer than it was. Is it because some nosey-ass bitch like in this article would call in the Jacket to bust you?

I did the same.

So why not let your kids? Nothing has changed in terms of danger. If anything, America is safer than it was. Is it because some nosey-ass bitch like in this article would call in the Jacket to bust you?

Probably, but they're not going to find three other friends to wander around with at that age either.

Never know what could happen in that 5-10 minutes.

Never know what could happen in that 5-10 minutes.

Actually, we do. Well, the non-brain dead among us.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-mother-feared-16monthold-was-in-carjacked-jeep/2690447

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/03/12/amber-alert-missing/6318513/

http://www.click2houston.com/news/amber-alert-canceled-after-8monthold-baby-found-safe/26614728

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/child-missing-after-car-left-running-at-longmont-gas-station-was-stolen-early-wednesday

Well, you get the idea. A quick google on "child left in car carjack" will yield enough results to show how fucking moronic a claim "duh, it's okay to leave 'em in there for just like, uhhh, a few minutes or so, duhh..." is.

Back