• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SC woman thrown in jail for letting her kid play in park

Which expense do you think is a day care's biggest?

Probably not staff if they get paid minimum wage. The math doesn't work out.

Actually, we do. Well, the non-brain dead among us.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-mother-feared-16monthold-was-in-carjacked-jeep/2690447

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/03/12/amber-alert-missing/6318513/

http://www.click2houston.com/news/amber-alert-canceled-after-8monthold-baby-found-safe/26614728

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/child-missing-after-car-left-running-at-longmont-gas-station-was-stolen-early-wednesday

Well, you get the idea. A quick google on "child left in car carjack" will yield enough results to show how fucking moronic a claim "duh, it's okay to leave 'em in there for just like, uhhh, a few minutes or so, duhh..." is.

So carjacking is so out of control that you can't leave a kid in a car while you run into the store? Between the 70s and now carjacking of kids in cars rose how much?

So carjacking is so out of control that you can't leave a kid in a car while you run into the store? Between the 70s and now carjacking of kids in cars rose how much?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

You're a lazy fuck at best, and a half-assed parent at worst, if you can't take the time to get your toddler out of the car for the 3-5 minutes it takes to walk into the store.

You're a lazy fuck at best, and a half-assed parent at worst, if you can't take the time to get your toddler out of the car for the 3-5 minutes it takes to walk into the store.

So toddlers are never left alone for several minutes at a time? Howabout when you have to take a shit, what do you do, take him with you? No, you put him in the playpen or the bouncy thing or the stroller. What about when the kid is asleep? Do you stand guard over the crib all night long or throughout nap time? Of course not. How is that any different than a car seat in a locked car? Home invasions occur at a rate almost 3 times higher than car break-ins. So is every parent who leaves their kid alone while taking a dump a lazy fuck? Their kid is at a much higher risk of getting swiped while sitting alone in their crib in the house than sitting in a car seat in a car.

yeah, b/c leaving your kid in the living room for 5 min is the same thing as leaving your kid strapped in a chair inside a vehicle in the sun

By the way, my point was shared by the liberal rag cited by 923 in his original post:

“Listen,” she said at one point. “Let’s put aside for the moment that by far, the most dangerous thing you did to your child that day was put him in a car and drive someplace with him. About 300 children are injured in traffic accidents every day—and about two die. That’s a real risk. So if you truly wanted to protect your kid, you’d never drive anywhere with him. But let’s put that aside. So you take him, and you get to the store where you need to run in for a minute and you’re faced with a decision. Now, people will say you committed a crime because you put your kid ‘at risk.’ But the truth is, there’s some risk to either decision you make.” She stopped at this point to emphasize, as she does in much of her analysis, how shockingly rare the abduction or injury of children in non-moving, non-overheated vehicles really is. For example, she insists that statistically speaking, it would likely take 750,000 years for a child left alone in a public space to be snatched by a stranger.

“So there is some risk to leaving your kid in a car,” she argues. It might not be statistically meaningful but it’s not nonexistent. The problem is,” she goes on, “there’s some risk to every choice you make. So, say you take the kid inside with you. There’s some risk you’ll both be hit by a crazy driver in the parking lot. There’s some risk someone in the store will go on a shooting spree and shoot your kid. There’s some risk he’ll slip on the ice on the sidewalk outside the store and fracture his skull. There’s some risk no matter what you do. So why is one choice illegal and one is OK? Could it be because the one choice inconveniences you, makes your life a little harder, makes parenting a little harder, gives you a little less time or energy than you would have otherwise had?”

Later on in the conversation, Skenazy boils it down to this. “There’s been this huge cultural shift. We now live in a society where most people believe a child can not be out of your sight for one second, where people think children need constant, total adult supervision. This shift is not rooted in fact. It’s not rooted in any true change. It’s imaginary. It’s rooted in irrational fear.”

you know what, it's fine. if you think it's cool to leave kids and dogs in hot cars in the summer, more power to you. #darwinism

right now I completely agree with 2and2. A toddler can handle 5-10 min in the Walgreens parking lot in climate-controlled or window-cracked, locked car. My kid will be born in a few months, and maybe my mind will change then, but right now that sounds reasonable. Most of the time when the older kids (6 and 7) are with me I take them into the store, but I sometimes tell them to wait in the car while I go in and get something. Am I half-assed and lazy for that? At that age I was left in the car. At 10 or 12 I was sent in to buy smokes for my dad. I turned out fine.

As for the woman who let her kid play in the park, the woman who called the cops should have her throat punched. Fuck you, look after your own kids. At that age I was riding my bike from where I grew up at Stratford and Robinhood to fucking Thruway shopping center alone or with my brother. no wonder this generation is so fucking soft.

Here's a follow up from the "liberal rag".
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/07/this-widows-4-kids-were-taken-because-she-left-them-home-alone/374514/

My decision to allow my kids to stay home for a few hours while I went to school for several hours, a mile away, turned out to be the most catastrophically life-altering decision I've ever made. A neighbor noticed me walking to school without the kids and called the police. When I arrived home several hours later, I found a note on the door, but no kids inside. Despite having been told my whereabouts, neither the police nor the CPS workers who removed my kids from our home made any effort to find me, instead regarding the situation as an emergency, procedurally.

This happened four years ago.

We were some of the lucky ones. I fought a protracted court battle with an appointed attorney and few resources. Against the odds, our family was restored.

Over the two years during which the case dragged on, my kids were subjected to, according to them, sexual molestation (which was never investigated) and physical abuse within the foster care system. They were separated from each other many times, moved around frequently, and attended multiple schools. This, of course, was all in the name of protection.

I'm sorry, but the "cracked window" thing is bullshit. Your car interior temps can rise 20-30 degrees in ten minutes on a warm day. Take your damned kids out of the car. This isn't hard. Don't risk their safety and well being for your own convenience.

when you are filling up at a gas station and your kids are with you, and you run in to take a piss or buy a drink or something (like beer and cigarettes), do you lock the car and leave the kids or do you take them?

if my kids want to stay in the car they stay in the car.

when you are filling up at a gas station and your kids are with you, and you run in to take a piss or buy a drink or something (like beer and cigarettes), do you lock the car and leave the kids or do you take them?

if my kids want to stay in the car they stay in the car.

Apparently that makes you a lazy fuck. At best. Apparently the proper course of conduct is to not even leave the kids in the car while you are standing there gassing up, because the interior car temp can raise 20-30 degrees before you fill the tank. Take them out of the car and let them run around the parking lot dodging cars instead.

Newports don't buy themselves, LK.

plus crossing five point, i get your point, i guess

fwiw, i was basically doing the same shit with my neighborhood buddies, as a millennial

we came up around knollwood side, but still it was a helluva journey. my brother got hit by a car once. good times

Back