• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Scalia's gotta be pissed-wrong side of history and Roberts wrote the minority decision.

Shit. My traditional marriage was just destroyed. Thanks Obama.

"california does not count"

lol

he seriously sounds like he's going nuts at this point

I don't read scotus decisions but if that from Townie is from the dissent then I gotta ask our experts is it typical of the dissenters to whine like that?

The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.

....... ok.

CNN's live shot of Chic-Fil-A HQ:

625px-Funeral_procession%2C_Goderich%2C_Ontario%2C_1913.png

I don't read scotus decisions but if that from Townie is from the dissent then I gotta ask our experts is it typical of the dissenters to whine like that?

Mainly just Scalia. He writes the most personally-directed and basically nasty opinions.

Scalia tends to be a little more passionate than most.

He has time and room to write about whatever he wants mainly because he thinks you could sum this case up in a sentence: When the 14th Amendment was ratified no states intended for marriage was anything other than a man and a woman.

Looks like it came out as expected. Kennedy's decision was so awful in the DOMA case, that it was obviously laying groundwork with touchie feelie, non-legalese talk like "dignity". I'll need to read the opinion to verify that to be the case, but after yesterday's decision and the DOMA case, I have no doubt they just made shit up yet again.

The good news is that things were trending this way anyway, so it's not a decision like Roe where they just make shit up and alienate people over a single, stupid issue for generations to come. This one is something that the under 30 crowd gives two shits about.

Looks like it came out as expected. Kennedy's decision was so awful in the DOMA case, that it was obviously laying groundwork with touchie feelie, non-legalese talk like "dignity". I'll need to read the opinion to verify that to be the case, but after yesterday's decision and the DOMA case, I have no doubt they just made shit up yet again.

The good news is that things were trending this way anyway, so it's not a decision like Roe where they just make shit up and alienate people over a single, stupid issue for generations to come. This one is something that the under 30 crowd gives two shits about.

I stand corrected, this first paragraph could have been lifted verbatim from Scalia's dissent if it removed the overt Kennedy reference, "shit," and "I."

Back