• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Opener Discussion: Liberty

I don't remember that at all about the Presbyterian game, we absolutely dominated them. Liberty was good last year pretty much because they could put up a ton of points with their QB. It will be a tough first game for whoever they choose as their QB.

Yeah, but we looked bad doing it against a terrible team.

I remember two things about the Presby game.

1. We got the opening kickoff for a TD called back because of a hold.
2. The bounce pass for Presby for a TD.

I know we have a better chance of beating them at football than at basketball...

I go to Liberty, but love Wake and we are going to kill them. Liberty has a new QB, new coach, new system, and replacing a lot of good players with their first game against a good BCS team only really replacing an OL, Givens, and Wilbur. We are going to kill them.

Last edited:
I go to Liberty, but love Wake and we are going to kill them. Liberty has a new QB, new coach, new system, and replacing a lot of good players with there first game against a good BCS team only really replacing an OL, Givens, and Wilbur. We are going to kill them.

this makes so much sense.

Yep...only replacing our OL. No sweat!

But, regarding Liberty...we better win big!!

Yep...only replacing our OL. No sweat!

But, regarding Liberty...we better win big!!

Last I checked defense still wins championships. In 06 our O was not good it was our D that lead the way and I believe our D the next two years will be comparable to the 06 D. Our DB's the next two years will be better than 06 and our lb's will be slightly worse and our D-line will be a push. The Liberty game will be a good game for our OL to gel. I will no more what to expect after watching the scrimmages.

Last I checked defense still wins championships. In 06 our O was not good it was our D that lead the way and I believe our D the next two years will be comparable to the 06 D. Our DB's the next two years will be better than 06 and our lb's will be slightly worse and our D-line will be a push. The Liberty game will be a good game for our OL to gel. I will no more what to expect after watching the scrimmages.

no

The defense for the 2006 team had the following players drafted:

DE Jeremy Thompson - 4th round GB
LB Aaron Curry - 1st SEA
LB Stanley Arnoux - 4th round NO
CB Alphonso Smith - 2nd round DEN
DB Josh Gattis - 4th round JAX
DB Chip Vaughn 4th round NO

In addition, the following players signed NFL FA contracts:

DT - John Russell
DT - Boo Robinson
DE - Bryan Andrews
LB - Jon Abbate
CB - Riley Swanson
CB - Kevin Patterson
DB - Patrick Ghee

In addition to those 13 that were drafted or signed as FAs, the following defensive players were solid college players despite not getting a pro look:

DE Matt Robinson
DT Jamil Smith
DT Michael Lockett
DE Anthony Davis
LB Eric Berry
LB Dom Midgett
LB Pierre Easley
LB Chantz McClinic
CB Kerry Major

The 2006 defense was experienced, talented and deep. The 2012 defense will be improved, but I don't see anything close to the deep array of players that the 2006 defense had. That defense was loaded. Not WF loaded, but elite college football loaded.

LB Aaron Curry - 1st SEA

DT - John Russell
DT - Boo Robinson
DE - Bryan Andrews
LB - Jon Abbate
CB - Riley Swanson
CB - Kevin Patterson
DB - Patrick Ghee

In addition to those 13 that were drafted or signed as FAs, the following defensive players were solid college players despite not getting a pro look:

DE Matt Robinson
DT Jamil Smith
DT Michael Lockett
DE Anthony Davis
LB Eric Berry
LB Dom Midgett
LB Pierre Easley
LB Chantz McClinic
CB Kerry Major

The 2006 defense was experienced, talented and deep. The 2012 defense will be improved, but I don't see anything close to the deep array of players that the 2006 defense had. That defense was loaded. Not WF loaded, but elite college football loaded.

Very nice analysis.

I think I can say with certainty that Wake will never have a defense that good again.

Next year's defense could be better than the 2006 defense, this year's is very good and one of the top we've had in the past few years.

I'm excited about the year and we're not going to lose to Liberty since they're going through a QB change.

Ok guys, last years defense gave up 28 points a game..... this year's team has more experience than last year's unit, has probably upgraded the #2 CB spot, the LBer group as a whole, and possibly the safeties. I am excited about the group because I feel like the athleticism and experience is there, but the group as a whole has to improve a lot to even be in the top tier of the ACC, much less challenging that 2006 or 2007 defense.

Bump. I'm a little concerned about the offensive line issues but they're breaking in a new QB and receiving corps so I think we should be fine in this one. Anyone overly worried?

Bump. I'm a little concerned about the offensive line issues but they're breaking in a new QB and receiving corps so I think we should be fine in this one. Anyone overly worried?

I'm worried about week 2 and following....not so much week 1.

If week 1 is close, we may not win more than 2 games this season.

visited my first practice today, our defensive backs are really good (of course we knew that). I saw no evidence that we are returning to a cut blocking scheme on offense.

I'm more concerned about us having any semblance of a running game this season. Based upon scrimmage reports and loss of key linemen, things don't sound encouraging.

LB Aaron Curry - 1st SEA

DT - John Russell
DT - Boo Robinson
DE - Bryan Andrews
LB - Jon Abbate
CB - Riley Swanson
CB - Kevin Patterson
DB - Patrick Ghee

DE Matt Robinson
DT Jamil Smith
DT Michael Lockett
DE Anthony Davis
LB Eric Berry
LB Dom Midgett
LB Pierre Easley
LB Chantz McClinic
CB Kerry Major

Lol at Kerry Major being a solid player for Wake. . .

Back