• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SEC expansion: Texas A&M gone?

I'm pretty sure Buzz would still be one of the worst coaches in the Colonial or Patriot league.

Why would you say something like that? It's patently untrue and there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that it is. If there's anybody who would rather play in the Colonial or Patriot, it's the fans on here who talk a big game but have never given a cent to the Deacon Club.

It's the way I feel about the small-time Bz hire and subsequent "culture change" rhetoric (see also "I couldn't be happier," while in the midst of one of the worst seasons in school history). While I agree that the pendulum had probably swung too far to the win at all costs end of the spectrum, I feel it's gone back too far the other way. Our basketball program has been overwhelmed by the LOWF mentality, and it goes up to the highest levels.

Do you think that Bz is capable of competing for a national championship at Wake Forest? Do you think Ron Wellman thought he was when he hired Bz?

Even acknowledging that Wake is a school that should "win the right way," shouldn't that be the goal?

...and at any rate, given the rapid rate at which collegiate athletics seem to be selling out, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if Wake Forest didn't do something similar to what Vanderbilt did a few years ago and say "wait a minute."

Given what seems like the now-inevitable super conference re-alignment, the next step could be a break by those conferences from the NCAA. I recently read an article suggesting that nothing of consequence would happen in the Miami scandal because the NCAA has a real fear of this happening. Should that occur, would it be that surprising to see Wake Forest choose not to take part?

...and at any rate, given the rapid rate at which collegiate athletics seem to be selling out, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if Wake Forest didn't do something similar to what Vanderbilt did a few years ago and say "wait a minute."

Given what seems like the now-inevitable super conference re-alignment, the next step could be a break by those conferences from the NCAA. I recently read an article suggesting that nothing of consequence would happen in the Miami scandal because the NCAA has a real fear of this happening. Should that occur, would it be that surprising to see Wake Forest choose not to take part?

Yet Vandy is still part of the SEC. Strange. My brother says the same thing about wanting Northwestern to follow in Chicago's footsteps and swear off big time college athletics (usually this happens after an embarrassing Northwestern loss, mind you), but there's no way that this is happening.

Great tweet from Greg Doyle

Since we'll need new names for these super conferences, one has to be 'Conference ESPN.' This is all their doing

Baylor administrators have had discussions with the Big East and are confident the league would extend an invitation to the Bears if the Big 12 implodes, a source with knowledge of the conversations told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night.

“There haven’t been any guarantees,” the source said. “But [Baylor] feels strongly that that’s what would happen.”
Baylor and its allies hope Oklahoma thinks of the traditions and rivalries lost and the economic impact for fans the end of the Big 12 would bring. If the Sooners head to the Pac-12, then the Big 12 is likely dead. On the flip side, Oklahoma could save the league by reaffirming its allegiance.

The coming days and weeks will redefine the landscape of a league and of college sports.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=Au9w65m2RHURXl7BD1D1rkfevbYF?slug=jn-king_baylor_plan_b_big_east_090811
Imagine the Big XII falling apart and Baylor joining the Big East only to have the ACC then raid it.

Bowen Loftin's Update....

The latest weekly update from The President of Texas A&M to the student body.......

Campus News and Updates from R. Bowen Loftin '71
September 7, 2011

Due to the tremendous amount of interest surrounding the ongoing discussions about Texas A&M’s athletic conference affiliation, I am devoting my weekly email to this one topic. As I have said repeatedly, this matter is extremely important to the future of our great university. With that in mind, please be assured that we are working diligently to get this highly complex matter resolved as quickly as possible. If you aren’t already aware, the following is a copy of the statement I released earlier today regarding Texas A&M’s conditional acceptance into the Southeastern Conference last night:

“We are certainly pleased with the action taken last night by the presidents and chancellors of the Southeastern Conference to unanimously accept Texas A&M as the league’s 13th member. However, this acceptance is conditional, and we are disappointed in the threats made by one of the Big 12 member institutions to coerce Texas A&M into staying in the Big 12 Conference. These actions go against the commitment that was made by this university and the Big 12 on Sept. 2. We are working diligently to resolve any and all issues as outlined by the SEC.”

We are approaching these deliberations with the utmost respect for all of the Big 12 member institutions, and I strongly encourage you to do the same as well. As always, I will continue to keep the Texas A&M community informed as soon as there are any significant developments with the SEC and/or other conference-related discussions.

I apologize for the brevity of this week’s campus update, which is unavoidable due to the intense conference alignment discussions, as well as dealing with other matters affecting the university.

Thank you for your continued support and patience as we work to reach a timely resolution to this critical issue.

Until next week, Gig 'em Aggies.

Dr. R. Bowen Loftin '71
President
president@tamu.edu

As much as I have been a proponent of remaining at 12, now that info is starting to circulate that UT/ND are jointly talking to the B1G, I am definitely in the camp that the ACC/Swofford needs to get involved.

Expanding with schools that don't headline doesn't help. But if schools like these two are on the table that changes the dynamic.

Although it still may be more noise than reality now that BYU is back in the mix for the Big 12.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure that the reason Wellman/Wake were so supportive of ACC expansion a few years ago, is because they felt that college sports were going down this path of super-conferences, and they knew that Wake could be left out in the cold, if the ACC was not one of the pro-active conferences.

How do you know that Swofford isn't involved?

I don't. And credit to him if he already is involved. If so, it is just misplaced lack of faith on my part. And I would love for my lack of faith to be misplaced.

Contrary to a lot of reports, I think the ACC's 12 have remained quite committed through all the chaos. So I am not sold that the commish is truly keeping all options open, more of a cursory panning of the horizon.

I don't. And credit to him if he already is involved. If so, it is just misplaced lack of faith on my part. And I would love for my lack of faith to be misplaced.

Contrary to a lot of reports, I think the ACC's 12 have remained quite committed through all the chaos. So I am not sold that the commish is truly keeping all options open, more of a cursory panning of the horizon.

I don't work at the ACC, but it's my understanding that Swofford works for the member institutions. I have to assume his #1 priority right now is keeping the 12 teams intact. He can worry about expansion at a later date. The teams that the ACC would target are either outside of the footprint of the current realignment or not palatable to the SEC. We're not getting UT/ND and I don't really think that we should want them. I have to believe that the ACC, including people like Shalala, Hatch, Thorp, and their colleagues, and the ADs, have thought about this and are weighing ther options on an ongoing basis.

I don't work at the ACC, but it's my understanding that Swofford works for the member institutions. I have to assume his #1 priority right now is keeping the 12 teams intact. He can worry about expansion at a later date. The teams that the ACC would target are either outside of the footprint of the current realignment or not palatable to the SEC. We're not getting UT/ND and I don't really think that we should want them. I have to believe that the ACC, including people like Shalala, Hatch, Thorp, and their colleagues, and the ADs, have thought about this and are weighing ther options on an ongoing basis.

Ultimately I think you are correct that the league won't get them, though i am less convinced they don't want them. The ACC wanted ND during the last expansion, my guess would be the sentiment has not changed since.

UT has a habit of their conferences deteriorating, so I can understand folks being leary of them. And no conference other than the Big XII is going to allow them an unequal revenue sharing model. So if the Longhorns insist on maintaining the network and its revenue all of this won't matter anyway.

Back