• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Secret Service intercepts ‘potential explosive devices’ sent to Obama, Clinton

of course whether they were operable is relevant

if the "bomber" sent inert pieces of plastic with no explosives and thought they would blow up, he has issues and should go to jail, but in that case it's inaccurate to label this as an attempted mass murder

I agree that whether it was operable or not is relevant but either scenario is still a big fucking deal.

Worst case scenario (it was operable), there is intent to murder. Best case scenario (it was inoperable), there is intent to terrorize and intimidate

Both motives are due to political differences.

Not American or right any way you slice it.

NY Times isn't helping calm things down:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ne...rvice-helping-russian-assassin-gun-down-trump

"One of the short stories on the Times' online Book Review page - to be published in Sunday's print edition - is titled, “How it Ends,” by Zoe Sharp – a chilling story about a drunken Russian’s plot to murder the president with a Makarov pistol. Sharp’s particular story doesn’t mention Trump by name, but it’s no secret as the collection of stories is headlined, “Five novelists imagine Trump’s next chapter.”

Goddamn that’s some terrible whataboutism

I love a good conspiracy theory, but this false flag stuff is pretty dumb. I do think there's a good chance they weren't operable and this was meant to terrorize/intimidate rather than kill. The Austin bomber's devices were incredibly simple and, tragically, incredibly effective.

If this nutjob really wanted to do damage, he would have (most likely to the mail people/security checking mail). He would have also not included way too many stamps, the rube logo, etc. to make it very obvious to any security that it was a sketchy package. Would still consider him a terrorist, either way.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but this false flag stuff is pretty dumb. I do think there's a good chance they weren't operable and this was meant to terrorize/intimidate rather than kill. The Austin bomber's devices were incredibly simple and, tragically, incredibly effective.

If this nutjob really wanted to do damage, he would have (most likely to the mail people/security checking mail). He would have also not included way too many stamps, the rube logo, etc. to make it very obvious to any security that it was a sketchy package. Would still consider him a terrorist, either way.

If he's a nutjob, he may have thought they were going to work.

As to putting too many stamps, that's absolutely LOGICAL. If he put on exactly the right number and one fell off, the package wouldn't go through and he would have a better chance of being caught. Yours is a nonsensical concept.

It's also nonsensical to think the logo was anything other than ego and stupidity. It doesn't show anything like this was not meant to be real.

CNN and MSNBC are reporting that a white male, in his 50s has been taken into custody. They aren't saying he has been arrested.

EDIT: The FBI has announced a 2:30 PM EDT press conference. Maybe, he is the guy...

Last edited:
They are now saying a person has been arrested and will be charged.

Send him to GITMO. He's no less an enemy combatant than the people who are still there.

If he's a nutjob, he may have thought they were going to work.

As to putting too many stamps, that's absolutely LOGICAL. If he put on exactly the right number and one fell off, the package wouldn't go through and he would have a better chance of being caught. Yours is a nonsensical concept.

It's also nonsensical to think the logo was anything other than ego and stupidity. It doesn't show anything like this was not meant to be real.

Point 1: certainly possible.

Point 2: illogical, and has been discussed by explosive/criminal "experts" in the media.

Shipping companies train package handlers and sorters to identify potentially suspicious items by sight based on certain characteristics.

For example, since suspects often don't pay for exact postage in person to avoid being seen on security cameras, they end up using far too many stamps to ensure that explosive packages rigged with timers reach their destinations as expected, Cohen said.

Point 3: 100% your opinion, and certainly debatable. Again, it makes things seem much more suspicious and likely to be detected, therefore less credible, in my opinion. Please, keep speaking in ridiculous absolutes, as you so often do, though.

Back