• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senator Bob Menendez (NJ) charged with bribery

I’m not just going to post every Fetterman tweet or story, but the dude (and his team) has come out swinging this past month. He’s really stepping forward alone on this demand for Menendez to resign. Fetterman has just announced he is returning the campaign donation he received from Menendez “in envelopes stuffed with 100 dollar bills”

Last edited:
I’m not just going to post every Fetterman tweet or story, but the dude (and his team) has come out swinging this past month. He’s really stepping forward along on this demand for Menendez to resign. Fetterman has just announced he is returning the campaign donation he received from Menendez “in envelopes stuffed with 100 dollar bills”
well Dr Oz can always run against Menendez

I don't see what that has to do with his lame lie. He wasn't saying the money was from his parents. He's saying stashing money is a cultural practice he learned from his family and I'm sure he had plenty of family in Cuba during the revolution.

There's plenty to attack him on without going so far out of the way.

I don't see what that has to do with his lame lie. He wasn't saying the money was from his parents. He's saying stashing money is a cultural practice he learned from his family and I'm sure he had plenty of family in Cuba during the revolution.

There's plenty to attack him on without going so far out of the way.
Because he's exploiting generational trauma in an attempt to paint those calling for his resignation as xenophobic. It's a gross strategy that's disingenuous and disrespectful to the actual reasons why Cuban immigrants are distrustful of financial systems.

It also obfuscates that this is fundamentally a class issue and not a cultural/ethnic one. At the end of the day it's a rich, crooked politician taking bribes to become wealthier and he's leaning hard into a play that if you're critical of him you a) don't like Latinos and/or b) don't understand Cuban-American culture.

Everyone would be ridiculing some random boomer politician if their excuse for keeping scads of bribe money hidden in envelopes and clothes was that their parents grew up during the depression and kept their life savings under the mattress, and rightfully so.

It also obfuscates that this is fundamentally a class issue and not a cultural/ethnic one. At the end of the day it's a rich, crooked politician taking bribes to become wealthier and he's leaning hard into a play that if you're critical of him you a) don't like Latinos and/or b) don't understand Cuban-American culture.

So there’s no need to get into a cultural/ethic argument that could be spun into not understanding or attacking the culture. Just lean on corruption.

So there’s no need to get into a cultural/ethic argument that could be spun into not understanding or attacking the culture. Just lean on corruption.
Oh I totally agree that the focus should be on corruption and it largely is. My gripe is more that by Menendez trying to make this about ethnicity he is causing some level of harm to the community.

Politically speaking we know that the GOP has successfully targeted Cubans, especially young Cubans, in FL and a Dem senator openly exploiting their struggles and trauma just gives them more fodder to play with.

The support and respect for legitimate cultural traumas in our society is extremely tenuous, so this corrupt douchebag making a joke of it is extremely harmful. It’s not to the same degree as what Jussie Smollet did, but it’s along that same line.

Back