• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senior Day: 21 players honored inc. Tom,Roberson,CBS,Sciba

i know it was an emphasis during the grobe years with guys like AC and gattis but from my memory, CBS is probably the best special teams we’ve had

Kind of expected Roberson to go and he should, but am also surprised by Sciba and CBS.

Is it pretty certain that Donovan will be playing again next year?

CBS has been a great asset to the program and a super reliable player but it might be best if he does move on from a roster management perspective. Our apparent next #1 RB is a freshman, Turner has eligibility left and we have a ton of guys who haven’t seen the field yet. And if we get Claiborne on campus he looks like a serious candidate for early playing time.

i know it was an emphasis during the grobe years with guys like AC and gattis but from my memory, CBS is probably the best special teams we’ve had

John Henry Mills was the 1996 AFC Special Teams player named to the Pro Bowl. He absolutely annihilated returners on kickoffs and punts.

I missed the final word on CBS’s injury; or is it like all others a mystery till warmups?

I missed the final word on CBS’s injury; or is it like all others a mystery till warmups?

Yes, essentially everyone who is injured (CBS, Carson, Holmes, Johns) is on the depth chart for the NC State game and Clawson didn't clarify during this week's presser. Not clear who is playing and who is out on Saturday. That said, there is little chance CBS plays. His ankle injury looked severe.

I'm guessing you mean coverage guy because Plack won the Ray Guy award

I remember Gattis and Vaughn being big time ST guys

a favorite ST play memory is Boldin catching the onside kick vs. FSU and getting smoked but holding on

Vaughn block FG the most important ever probs

CBS has been a great asset to the program and a super reliable player but it might be best if he does move on from a roster management perspective. Our apparent next #1 RB is a freshman, Turner has eligibility left and we have a ton of guys who haven’t seen the field yet. And if we get Claiborne on campus he looks like a serious candidate for early playing time.

Agree with this- it’s his 5th year in the program- love the guy but he’s likely reached his ceiling and wants to move on to whatever that next step is- NFL, post grad degree somewhere else, or not playing football at all. Wish him well as he has always represented MSD well. Would have him move on than have younger guys transfer.

Not saying this will happen will CBS , but the NFL is full of running backs who weren’t ultra productive in college but they fall into a team with a good OL, an injured RB and of of a sudden they are getting more carries in the NFL then they did in college.

I'm guessing you mean coverage guy because Plack won the Ray Guy award

I remember Gattis and Vaughn being big time ST guys

a favorite ST play memory is Boldin catching the onside kick vs. FSU and getting smoked but holding on

Vaughn block FG the most important ever probs

IIRC, he didn't get leveled by a tackle but instead fielded a line drive that had he not brought it into his chest/gut would have bounced off him and probably ricocheted 20 yds. in the other direction. You could hear the ball pop his pads, sounded like full contact with a wooden bat ; clutch play.

That doinked kick probably cost Sciba a sizable chunk of money. Fair or not, his reputation is our there for all to see....Money from inside 45 but not a big leg.

Unless he redeems himself next 2 games- I don’t think today was his true senior day.

Curius if sciba actually has “stock” and where he’s been mentioned as a pro prospect? Seems like if he had a 50+ leg we’d be using it. Absent that, no way he’s an nfl kicker.

That doinked kick probably cost Sciba a sizable chunk of money. Fair or not, his reputation is our there for all to see....Money from inside 45 but not a big leg.

The 53 yard attempt was dead on, but showed he has 52 3/4 yard leg. He's gotten stronger since his freshman year. How much more distance can he add?

NFL philosophy used to be "give me every kick 47 yards or less and we'll figure out the long ones." Sciba can do that from 50 in. Question is whether NFL coaches still have that philosophy. Some NFL coaches want "in field goal range" to mean getting the ball across midfield.

The 53 yard attempt was dead on, but showed he has 52 3/4 yard leg. He's gotten stronger since his freshman year. How much more distance can he add?

NFL philosophy used to be "give me every kick 47 yards or less and we'll figure out the long ones." Sciba can do that from 50 in. Question is whether NFL coaches still have that philosophy. Some NFL coaches want "in field goal range" to mean getting the ball across midfield.

In fairness to Sciba. That kick is good, just barely, in warmer weather. Unfortunately, not all pro football games are played in south Florida.

Looked to me like Sciba’s second kick would have been good from 54

I recognize that doesn’t matter, of course

Looked to me like Sciba’s second kick would have been good from 54

I recognize that doesn’t matter, of course

He’s also doing kickoffs for the first time in years on the fly. He’s no Janakowski, but lots of teams have lost betting against Nick Sciba.

Back