• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SHAKA! SHAKA! SHAKA! - LET'S BE POSITIVE. WE'RE STILL ALIVE!

Several of us has shown how we get to $3M/year without asking for a single penny from donors.

Here's how we get to $3.5M without asking donors. We have 17-18 home games/year. Let's say 17. If we average slightly more than 11,000 paid tickets/game that equals 190,000 people. All we need is to raise $2.75 or so from each of them.

Do you really think people would complain about raising ticket prices $3 if it meant getting Shaka?

How about $2 for tickets, $1 for parking and concessions up a $1?

You guys act like we are maximizing revenues currently and will be pay $7M/year.

SEE

it's so easy

While the basic math seems to make sense that Shaka would pay for himself, the fact is there's only a small handful of schools that are paying their coaches that kind of money. And most of those schools have a lot more money, larger fanbases, and are paying coaches who have won national championships. So I'm a little dubious of the claim that it's a no-brainer that Wake can afford it.

Several of us has shown how we get to $3M/year without asking for a single penny from donors.

Here's how we get to $3.5M without asking donors. We have 17-18 home games/year. Let's say 17. If we average slightly more than 11,000 paid tickets/game that equals 190,000 people. All we need is to raise $2.75 or so from each of them.

Do you really think people would complain about raising ticket prices $3 if it meant getting Shaka?

How about $2 for tickets, $1 for parking and concessions up a $1?

You guys act like we are maximizing revenues currently and will be pay $7M/year.

Shakanomics!

Seriously, who would stop going to games if we got Shaka and raised all ticket prices by 5 bucks a game?

While the basic math seems to make sense that Shaka would pay for himself, the fact is there's only a small handful of schools that are paying their coaches that kind of money. And most of those schools have a lot more money, larger fanbases, and are paying coaches who have won national championships. So I'm a little dubious of the claim that it's a no-brainer that Wake can afford it.

You are also forgetting that the new ACC TV contract pays us more than 90+% of all schools.

The reason why few coaches are paid this much is that few big jobs have been open since the era of mega-conferences started a couple of years ago.

Somebody posted this in the other thread. Hopefully not true but this is more credible than the average twitter nonsense that we have seen.

Jim Ganzer ‏@theIWB 33 mins
Shaka Smart is the new coach at Marquette. #mubb

Done Deal

Last edited:
Somebody posted this in the other thread. Fuck.

Done Deal

We have heard this multiple times today...not being reported on ESPN or TSN.

Somebody posted this in the other thread. Hopefully not true but this is more credible than the average twitter nonsense that we have seen.

Done Deal

How is it more credible?

Pretty sad if we lost Shaka to a school in the Big Least that has no President and no AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
I would be curious as to how many of the folks who think we can/should pay $3.5M actually donate to Wake.

I am a Deacon club member (a tiny tiny fish) and I've got a check ready for when/if the right hire is made. Pay the man.

If Wake enrolls 40 more students in next class it pays about $1M. I assume Shaka would bring many more student applications and many more would want to enroll, better students more diverse blah blah blah.....

There is a distinct difference between is and predicted...

https://twitter.com/theIWB‎
Jim Ganzer. @theIWB. Covering Hoops in Milwaukee: Milwaukee Bucks, Marquette Golden ... I am predicting Shaka Smart will be the new coach at Marquette.

The guy said he was the original source for the story. Shaka might've reached out to ask about recruiting in the area.

Seems strange that he would reach a deal with a school without a President or AD without even going to talk to anybody there.

Back