• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SHAKA! SHAKA! SHAKA! - LET'S BE POSITIVE. WE'RE STILL ALIVE!

I mean, today the Richmond paper is saying the VCU AD, as of Sunday, had started a discussion with Smart and "will continue that discussion this week." The same VCU AD said he hasn't been contacted by WF or Marquette. Obviously the meat of this article is old and I imagine contact has been made because I trust the Goodman ESPN article. At odds with that is the purported VCU fan angle. How this cauldron of conflicting information could lead a rational person to believe that Smart just inked a deal to a school that, as discussed earlier, hasn't even hired his boss is odd. Who is making this deal and how can a coach ink a 6-year (or whatever-year) deal without knowing anything about the job he accepted? Expectations and otherwise. The only real answer is what he'd be paid, but he has a history of turning down big money for stability.

I'm not saying Marquette isn't getting him or we are. All I'm saying is nothing adds up, so the early reports probably aren't true.

good post

Shaka was my 1 and Marshall was my 1b

If we don't get either of those guys I want to go the old experience rout...Howland or Barnes. That might end up being the best road anyway. Get someone in here for 7-10 years that can elevate the program. The "ceiling" might not be as high as the young guys but I could absolutely see them turning us into a nationally relevant program again. Not to mention their basement is not near as low.

7-10 would be a stretch for Howland and beyond what Barnes could perform in my opinion. Nonetheless, I know it's not really possible, but I'd give either of these guys exactly five years of their best effort and then get a much better guy than we're looking at now.

ETA: reasonably looking at now, of course. Still think Smart, Marshall, etc. are kind of dream territory.

Last edited:
Shaka was my 1 and Marshall was my 1b

If we don't get either of those guys I want to go the old experience rout...Howland or Barnes. That might end up being the best road anyway. Get someone in here for 7-10 years that can elevate the program. The "ceiling" might not be as high as the young guys but I could absolutely see them turning us into a nationally relevant program again. Not to mention their basement is not near as low.

Completely agree. Barnes is gettable.

7-10 would be a stretch for Howland and beyond what Barnes could perform in my opinion. Nonetheless, I know it's not really possible, but I'd give either of these guys exactly five years of their best effort and then get a much better guy than we're looking at now.

ETA: reasonably looking at now, of course. Still think Smart, Marshall, Etc. are kind of dream territory.

Howland is 56. Who says he doesn't have 15 years left? He's not nearly the coach that K/Boeheim/Pitino are, but why can't he coach as long as them?

Wright would be a home run......out of the blue....

And we would both say there was no way before Buzz went to VT. But if it happened it would be the hire of Wellman's career. I don't discount it. I don't expect it but just imagine. I'll buy Dove soap for the rest of my li

Howland is 56. Who says he doesn't have 15 years left? He's not nearly the coach that K/Boeheim/Pitino are, but why can't he coach as long as them?

From what I recall, Howland's best years are the early years. I'm not saying he doesn't have 15 years, I'm just saying the deterioration at UCLA doesn't give me confidence in 15 years.

He got run out of town after a #1 recruiting class. Think about that.

He got run out of town after winning the PAC 12 regular season.

He got run out of town in spite of having three starters and three top subs who were all highly rated in HS and playing well. Think about these things.

He got run out of town after a #1 recruiting class. Think about that.

He got run out of town after winning the PAC 12 regular season.

He got run out of town in spite of having three starters and three top subs who were all highly rated in HS and playing well. Think about these things.

He went to 3 straight Final Fours. They let Walton run him out of town. That was stupid.

I'll be glad when all of this is finally resolved. It's like this thread and the other one just keep going through the same cycles of discussion.

Disclaimer: I'll be sad when all of this is finally resolved, if it's Bz 2.0. (Which is actually another example of the same cycles of discussion...)

Last edited:
The fact that nobody knows which teams are Big East and which are AAC is a reason to move to the ACC.

LOL...very true. I was actually trying to figure that out when I saw that UConn is playing Villanova in the Sweet 16. Didn't realize they're in different conferences now, and have no idea which teams are in which.

Back