• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Share your phobias

Shots - it's not the needle I am afraid of (having blood drawn or even giving blood is fine), it's the injection.

I agree 100%. I'm not afraid of the needle, it's the injection that gets me too.

I love swimming, boating, the water, etc., but my biggest fear in the world is drowning. It has to be the most terrifying way to go.

Claustrophobia. Really hungover plane rides are almost unbearable and I avoid at all costs. Must be drunk, asleep, or completely sober.
Spiders, somewhat, but my wife is terrified so I have had to man up and overcome it.
Elevators give me pause. I used to hate them because I got stuck in one once as a kid, doors opened to a wall. I can handle them, but do not enjoy.

I don't mind deep water at all, but one time I was snorkeling at the great barrier reef and following a sea turtle that crossed my path on the reef, no deeper than 6 feet. I followed it and kept diving to it to make eye contact and have few zen life hippy moments, and then the next thing I know I look around in the water and I'm surrounded by the deepest dark blue in every direction. No bottom, no reef, no people, deeeeep. Creepy as fuck and I was sure that jaws was gonna eat my ass any second. Anywho, I surface and see that I'm like at least 150-200 yards from the reef, and haul ass back. Keep in mind I'm a state 4A champ swim team dude (hot chicks pm me). Made me totally realize how you can get left, lost, eaten, out there. Realized the general danger of those outings even more so when we smoked a bone and got hammered at a bar with one of our dive crew later that night and heard his stories about what a great life he had getting fucked up, diving, boning chicks, bring stupid, and being in Australia.

that realization of being surrounded by deep blue would have cause me to defecate in my neoprene.

Giving blood :eek:hnoes:

I'd rather be stuck in a crawl space with 50 spider-eating snakes than give blood.

Heights, Sharks, Heights, roaches bother me as well, Heights. The fact that I am hypochondriac and afraid of everything helps.

roaches. i know it's stupid because snakes and spiders and all of the normal things that people are afraid of don't bother me all that much (not that i LIKE them. but i'm not all that scared of them). but roaches freak me out a lot.

It looks like you're not alone. My fear of them stems from them being so nasty with respect to germs and disease, which is why I also hate rats and mice. They all lead to:

Germs/communicable diseases.

Heights too. I literally got sweaty palms and tingly feet imagining myself on the edge of Victoria Falls as pictured in the other thread.

Anything having to do with the occult/supernatural.

Kenny Loggins fans

Also, I was terrified to go to the orthadontist (BracesDeaconess).

If ever there was a thread that Harv needed to get in on....I'm sure the Fiesta Fox had/has some fuggin' awesome phobias.

Understand that the Fiesta Fox wasn’t scared of nuthin’. Never had a problem with heights – nothing tickled Foxy more than sneaking up to the top of the Wait Chapel belltower and zoning out with some dummy dust. Ricky had no issues with snakes either. I guess when you’ve got a mama dabbling in religions that involve a fair amount of snake handling, it teaches a young man to regard serpents with respect, as opposed to fear. And of course Ricky never minded the creepy crawlies. With all the bettin’ that went on amongst the Reynolda Raiders, I’d wager that Ricky ate more critters with 6+ legs than just about anyone outside the Amazonian rain forest.

As you’ve probably noticed, your “rjkarl” is a self-confident fella. The confidence no doubt fuels his willingness to do brave things like leap headfirst off the roof of the Barn (a man would need 3 hands to count the number of times that happened). But, I always suspected his fearlessness can also be traced to a fling he had with this one broad we referred to as The Soothsayer.

The Soothsayer was a bonafide gypsy lady. Origins were sketchy, but from what I gathered she emigrated from Transylvania or Estonia or some such place back in the early ‘40s to escape persecution by the damned Nazis. Somehow landed over in Yadkin County and, being nearly 35 years old at the time with limited English and no discernable skills, only real option was to open a little fortune tellin’ operation to make ends meet. By the time Ricky met her in ‘72, she was well past her prime, but with Ricky being of Jewish origin, he admired the way she dodged Der Fuhrer and fell hard for the bird.

Just being honest, the Soothsayer creeped out all the rest of us Raiders when she’d come around. Only broad I ever saw with eyes of two different colors – one dark brown, the other dull gray like a coyote’s belly. Had a long nail on her right pinky that could chisel through an asphalt driveway and a single long white hair sprouting like a wild onion from the middle of her neck. Kreebie used to joke that if you ever pulled that long hair, she’d probably play a pre-recorded message like one of them dolls.

Personally, given her general appearance and the way that she’d tend to stare at you real hard with that gray eye and wrinkled face, I took pains to avoid the Soothsayer, but she was a hard hen to ignore. Right around 9 in the morning after she’d closed shop, she’d come by for a little hanky-panky with Rick. While the broad had some age on her, like many women she wasn’t too old to enjoy Ricky’s talents. She and Foxy would trot into his bedroom and moments later we’d hear her wailing, “Oh, Reekeey! Oh, Reekeey!” Foxy would soon emerge, smiling triumphantly, face glistening and his whole body smelling vaguely of stew.

The fling between Ricky and the Soothsayer was rather brief, as not long after they met, the County Commissioners passed some new ordinance prohibiting soothsaying and tarot cards and mystical things of that nature. Big local news at the time. There weren’t any other gypsies in the area, so it was clear who they were targeting. It was a hit job. The Soothsayer ended up moving on, which was probably for the best given her nomadic heritage.

Before she left though, after Ricky had finished pleasuring her one last time, at Foxy’s request she read his palm and revealed the day Ricky will die. According to the Soothsayer, late in the night on April 7, 2014, Ricky will drive a ruby red sports car straight through the guardrail separating the southbound lane of the Pacific Coast Highway from the ocean, several hundred feet below. Sounded pretty morbid to me, but apparently the Soothsayer assured him that this is a happy end for Ricky and that before he and his vehicle explode in a massive fireball, he will have experienced what will be, for him, the ultimate joy. Not sure precisely what that is, but I reckon it involves some real primo ganja.

I suspect most folks would frown upon knowing their expiration date, but not Ricky. Just gave the Fiesta Fox license to take it up a notch. Should have seen the rail he did a couple hours after learning he was guaranteed another 40 years of sweet living. Damn near needed a traffic cone to toot all that sugar.

Last edited:
Recently I've been scared of diving in water - I had a dream where I dove in and hit my head on the bottom of the pool... and then I died.

also, i hate reptiles of all sorts

wasps/hornets (not bees) and getting stuck in a cave/buried underground.

i'm not afraid of needles/shots, but I have to lie down otherwise I'll faint. a doctor once said it was a "vasovagal reflex" or something like that.

i love heights. take me to the highest, most exposed spot and I'll dangle my feet over. i've always enjoyed looking over everything else and feeling the breeze.

Claustrophobia. Really hungover plane rides are almost unbearable and I avoid at all costs. Must be drunk, asleep, or completely sober.
Spiders, somewhat, but my wife is terrified so I have had to man up and overcome it.
Elevators give me pause. I used to hate them because I got stuck in one once as a kid, doors opened to a wall. I can handle them, but do not enjoy.

I don't mind deep water at all, but one time I was snorkeling at the great barrier reef and following a sea turtle that crossed my path on the reef, no deeper than 6 feet. I followed it and kept diving to it to make eye contact and have few zen life hippy moments, and then the next thing I know I look around in the water and I'm surrounded by the deepest dark blue in every direction. No bottom, no reef, no people, deeeeep. Creepy as fuck and I was sure that jaws was gonna eat my ass any second. Anywho, I surface and see that I'm like at least 150-200 yards from the reef, and haul ass back. Keep in mind I'm a state 4A champ swim team dude (hot chicks pm me). Made me totally realize how you can get left, lost, eaten, out there. Realized the general danger of those outings even more so when we smoked a bone and got hammered at a bar with one of our dive crew later that night and heard his stories about what a great life he had getting fucked up, diving, boning chicks, bring stupid, and being in Australia.

sounds very grrrrr

Back