• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sherlock Holmes Murder Mystery Game - Case Solved - Tejas did it the fastest!

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Players:

Players/Team:

1) tejas
2) nonny
3) bestphan + (nonboards) partner

-------

RULES:

1) I will provide a map of Victorian London divided into 5 sectors of the city. Within in city there will be many place to visit for clues. Some places will provide great insight into the case, some will confuse you, and yet some will be dead ends. So choose your path of investigation wisely.

2) I will provide a Newspaper from the days leading up to the murder. Some articles will be unrelated, yet, some, perhaps... will be related. It is up to you as the detective to discern which is which and what is what.

3) Each player will be on their own. Each will go to a location and get a full detailing from that location including any and all clues available. But again, some places will provide more relevant information than others. And some locations will send you on a divergent path that has nothing to do with the case at all. It is up to you to decide what is relevant and which leads to follow.

4) I will provide a lecture from Sherlock Holmes before we start. I implore everyone to read this in full if they wish to play. Some *very* valuable hints are in his words.

5) Each player that agrees to take on this case will PM me with the destination in which they wish to investigate by the deadline given. I will provide any and all information, conversations, or observations available from that location. All players have the option of turning in their SOLUTION at the end of a game play turn. If a solution is provided they will get a score from 1-150 based on accuracy. Points will be lost if you took more time than Sherlock Holmes in solving the case. (5 points per extra turn taken... however many turns it took Holmes to solve the case...)

--------

SCORING

The SOLUTION for this case will be divided into two parts:
- 1) the essential questions raised in the case (expect: who, what, where, when, why). And each will have a value attributed to it. *These questions will be provided after turn 3 to all detectives as a way to focus everyone on what is most important.*

- 2) the bonus questions possibly seen during the case -- these may or may not relate to the main case, but could be discovered depending on the path each detective takes. These questions also *may* just relate heavily to the canon of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. *These questions will be asked once a player has provided answers to the ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS via PM.*

NOTE:
Keep in mind, not only are you competing against your fellow Baker Street Irregulars detectives, but also against the great Sherlock Holmes. He is also solving the case while you are and following the same clues. Can you beat the master?
SH will solve this case in a pre-determined #of turns in each case. And he will nail all "essential questions". Therefore, his score will always = 100.

Your essential questions will = possible 100 points
Your bonus questions will = possible 50 points

And lastly, for each turn/location investigated more than Holmes needed you will lose 5 points.
i.e. Holmes takes 5 turns and you take 8 turns. You lose 15 points from your final score; (8-5)*5=15.
That is just an example, but it would be fair to expect Holmes to solve the case in 3-10 turns, depending on complexity. (I won't say how complex this case is)

Sherlock Holmes is a very focused man and does not worry about superfluous details of a case, therefore he will never even attempt to answer the so-called "bonus questions", instead focusing on solving the case at hand in as little time as possible. As such, again, his score will be 100.

----------------

Holmes' Lecture (helpful hints?)
Please see this post from the signup thread:
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...ignup-by-9pm?p=3487211&viewfull=1#post3487211

----------------

Instructions:

Just PM me with where you want to go by indicating NUMBER and AREA of London. I.E. "37 NW" or "13 SE". I will send you back the write up of all information from that location which could be of assistance to solving the case (and perhaps the bonus questions).

Once all players/teams have submitted a move for turn 1 we will move onto turn 2... and so on and so forth.

At the end of ANY TURN after you've received the clue from a location, you may PM me with your solution to the Essential Questions that will be posted after turn 3 (you won't solve the case before then...). Once you submit your answers to the essential questions, I will PM you the bonus questions for up to an additional 50 bonus points. Holmes does NOT bother with these, so answering these questions *COULD* be how you catch up, or better, Holmes himself!

Then, when all teams are submitted a solution and answered the bonus questions, I will provide the solution and how Holmes solved the case (i.e. which path he took and why).

Last edited:
london-map-w-borders.jpg

CASE

The Termination of a Teetotaler
Saturday, the 8th of September, 1888

"Please, Doctor Watson, please, you must get Mr. Holmes to help Donald, please, you must!" The young woman drops her head into her gloved hands and bursts into tears. Watson puts his arm around her shoulders and tried to comfort her. At the same time he looks towards Holmes, his eyes pleading for help.

Holmes is standing at the fireplace filling his pipe from the well-worn Persian slipper that serves as his tobacco pouch. He is making no effort to hide his look of discomfort and annoyance and gives no indication that he will help Watson comfort their sobbing visitor.

"Ah, don't despair Watson, help has arrived." Holmes moves towards us as we stand in the open doorway. "Come in, Wiggins, come in all of you. Everyone take a seat. As you can see, Watson is in need of some help."

Watson leaves his charge to her solitary sobbing and joins us. Homes is putting on his inverness coat and felt hat and moving with determined speed toward the door.

"Holmes, you can't leave now!"

"I can and must, I have an important appointment that will not keep."

"But, Holmes, it's a woman in trouble."

"Come, Watson. I have always looked to you as the expert on the fairer sex. I am sure our friends can help you clear up this matter. It should be of some interest. Good day."

Holmes punctuates this late statement with a slam of the door. Watson sighs and turns his attention to us. His expression makes it clear that we are not viewed as adequate substitutes for Holmes. Another sigh escapes from Watson as he looks over to the young woman who is the cause of his perplexity.

"Mrs. Sipton? Do you feel up to talking to my friends? They may be able to help us with your problem."

"If I could...just have a..."

At this moment the door opens and Mrs. Hudson moves her stout but motherly frame into the room. "Excuse me, Doctor Watson. Mr. Holmes asked me to look in on you. Said you might need my help."

"Yes? Yes! Yes, indeed. If you could take Mrs. Sipton and help her, uh, freshen up?"

"Mrs Sipton? THE Mrs. Sipton?!"

"Yes," answers Watson.

"Oh, the poor dear." Mrs. Hudson moves from the door towards Mrs. Sipton who rises to meet her. "Come along, dear. A little cool water on those swollen eyes will help you feel better. Come along, dearie." With a comforting hug she guides the young Mrs. Sipton out through the door, closing it gently behind them.

As the door closes, Watson collapses into an empty chair across from us. "At times Holmes's lack of sensitivity can be rather trying," sighs Watson. "I am sure he must have his reasons.

"Well, let me fill you in. Around nine-thirty last night Sir Alfred Sipton, the tea tycoon, was stabbed to death in his study at the Sipton mansion. Most of the family and staff claimed to have been out in in their quarters at the time of the murder and shed no light on this foul deed. Cecilia, Mrs. Sipton, says she was at the opera at the time of the murder. For some yet unexplained reason, there were two men from Scotland Yard at the mansion at the time of the murder. They were the ones who heard Sir Alfred cry out for help. When the broke through the study door they mound a man, Donald Stillwater, ben over Sir Alfred's body, his hand on the knife that was embedded in Sir Alfred's heart. "

"Then the murdered has been apprehended," states Wiggins.

"The police have charged Stillwater with the murder of Sir Alfred and are holding him at Old Bailey," replies Watson.

"Then what is it that Mrs. Sipton wants of Holmes?"

As if Wiggins's last question were her cue, a refreshed Mrs. Sipton re-enters the room. All the men around the table stand as she settles into the chair next to Watson. She is a beautiful woman whose age cannot be more than twenty-five. Her long auburn hair frames a face whose natural beauty needs no artificial aids to make it breathtaking. Her long delicate fingers still hold the lace handkerchief that had been the reservoir for her tears, but now her clear blue eyes look at us without a trace of dampness.

"I have just been explaining to our friends and associates the tragic events that have befallen you. Mr. Wiggins has just asked what you wanted from Holmes. I think you should answer that question."

"Yes, I would be happy to," says Mrs. Sipton in a strong clear voice. "I must apologize for the way I carried on. It--"

"Not at all, my dear. It is understandable." Watson gets nods of agreement from the rest of us around the table.

"Thank you. You have been most understanding, Doctor Watson." Mrs. Sipton turns her attention to us, "Last night I love my beloved husband and my best friend has been accused of his murder. I just can't believe that Donald had anything to do with Alfred's murder. We have been friends since childhood. Donald is one of the most God-fearing and gentle of men; murder is just not part of his nature."

"Did your husband and Donald know each other?"

"Yes, Donald and I met Alfred at the same time, six years ago. At that time, we were both members of the Salvation Army. Alfred was donating money to open up some new penny sit-ups, where for a penny, destitute people could spend the night in a shelter. Donald and I helped him on that project, and today today is in charge of one of them as well as a soup kitchen. He'll soon be a Major. He...oh, you can see he is not the type of man who could commit a murder."

"I assume that Donald denies that he is the murderer?"

"Of course!"

"So, you have talked to him?"

"No, No I haven't...but...," at this point her clear eyes again to fill with tears.

"Please, my dear," says Watson. "If we are to help, you must answer our questions."

"I'm sorry. I'm alright now. What is it that you want to know?"

"What reason do the police have to think that Donald would want to murder your husband?"

"My husband was much older than I, old enough to be my father. In his way he was a kind man; he was always good to me and his family. He was lonely and needed someone to help with his charitable works. At first, right after our marriage, Alfred was very nice to Donald. Then, for some unknown reason he became jealous of Donald."

"Jealous?" Wiggins cannot stop his eyebrows from raising.

"It's not what you think. Donald is like a brother to me. We grew up together in the same house. Donald's mother died when we were young and my mother took him in and raised him like a son. Alfred never accepted my feeling for Donald. It became and obsession with him. He forbade me to see him under any circumstances. I devoted all of my time to charitable work and household tasks.

"About three years ago Alfred's health began to deteriorate. He developed a heart condition which grew progressively worse. Dr. Agar, Alfred's doctor, told him he must take the stress out of his life or die. Alfred retired from the daily running of the business and spent his time at home. My time was taken up caring for him."

"So there was enmity between your husband and Donald?"

"No! That's why none of this makes any sense. About eight months ago Alfred apologized to me for the way he had treated Donald and myself. He invited Donald to the house and apologized to him also. Donald was even helping him with his plans for a new hostel in the East End. They were on their way to becoming friends."

"Do you have any idea who would want to murder your husband?"

"No. None at all. I just know it wasn't Donald. Please, can you help me?"

"We'll try," Watson and Wiggins responded in unison.

Last edited:
Teams --

Please PM me where you would first like to go in solving this case by 10 AM. I will respond with the conversation that the Irregulars have with all relevant people at that location.

HINTS:

You could start at the scene of the murder, 100 SW, or perhaps Old Bailey where the accused is being held, 36 EC. Maybe check out the Sipton Tea Company offices at 39 EC? Or perhaps seeing Sir Jasper Meeks, Chief Medical Examiner, at St. Bart's (38EC) to hear his expert opinion on the cause of death would be where you want to start...

Or start someplace else if you picked up a clue in the conversation with Mrs. Sipton. The choice is yours and the game is afoot!

my bad, I'll sit this one out, work morning was nuts. sorry dv7

sd3 can catch up if needed. but going onto turn 2 now.

Please send me your next location by 12 noon

I'll try to post the newspaper better at some point today. I just refuse to type all of that...

ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS
--------------------

1) Who killed Alfred Sipton? (50 points)

2) Why was he killed? (25 points)

3) How did the Thomson children figure in the case? (25 points)

Once all moves for turn 3 are received and clues sent out -- more will be revealed and players will have the opportunity to explore the mansion.

THE SIPTON MANSION

Household:
- Sir Alfred Sipton (62)
- Mrs. Cecelia Sipton, wife of Sir Alfred (26)
- Agnes Thomson, sister of Sir Alfred (54)
- Roger Thomson, son of Agnes Thomson and head of the Sipton Tea Co. (32)
- Mrs. Prudence Thomson, wife of Roger (27)
- Alfred Thomson, son of Roger & Prudence (6)
- Roger Thomson II, son of Roger & Prudence (4)
- Rufus Hofstadter, Sir Alfred's personal secretary (57)

STAFF
- Bruce Nigel, Butler and head of staff (45)
- Margaret Brissman, cook (47)
- Wanda Lewis, upstairs maid (26)
- Dotty Lewis, upstairs maid (26)
- Rodney Harrington, Coachman (29)
- Jerome Strope, gardener (33)
- Annie Strope, kitchen help (31)
- Elaine Mondino, Agnes Thomson's maid (37)
- Cynthis Deger, scullery maid (16)
- Mildred Dell-Olio, governess (28)

ROOMS

Ground floor:
Sir Alfred's Room: G-3
Mr. and Mrs. Thomson's room: G-14
Thomson children's room: G-17
Hofstadter's office: G-18
Nigel's office: G-19
Sir Alfred's office: G-21
Sir Alfred's study: G-22
Blue Antechamber: G-23
Smoking room: G-24

UPSTAIRS

Mrs Sipton's Salon: U-5
Mrs. Sipton's bedroom: U-6
Miss Dell-Olio's room: U-10
Mr. & Mrs. Thomson's room: U-11
The Thomson's Antechamber: U-12
Mrs. Agnes Thomson's room: U-19
Miss Mondino's room: U-20

DOWNSTAIRS

Cynthia's room: D-27
Wanda's room: D-29
Dotty's room: D-30

You can now explore any room within the mansion by stating "G-3", "U-5" or "D-27" as examples.

With the mansion now open to investigation, please have next locations to me by 3 PM.

Now that everyone is well into their investigation... here is where each player has gone so far:

wakephannonnytejas
Move 1St. Bart's (38 EC)Criminal Investigation (13 SW)The Old Bailey (36 EC)
Move 2Criminal Investigation (13 SW)
&
Sommerset House (17 WC) *free*
Criminology Laboratory (22 SW)
&
Sommerset House (17 WC) *free*
St. Bart's (38 EC)
Move 3Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)The Raven and Rat Inn (52 EC)

But don't let the moves of the other Irregulars sway you, as perhaps one of those locations was a dead end? Or perhaps it was the information needed to break the case? Hmmmm...

Here were my first three moves when I played this case, btw:

The Old Bailey (36 EC)
&
Sommerset House (17 EC) *free*
Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)
St. Barts (38 EC)

Back