• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sherlock Holmes Murder Mystery Game - Case Solved - Tejas did it the fastest!

Holmes says that we should visit him back at 221B Baker Street as soon as we can.

He went to a 4th and final location and now has the solution to the crime and can answer all Essential Questions pertaining to the case.

Holmes has just sent a telegraph to Mrs. Sipton to come by Baker Street tomorrow before noon. He expects everyone to be wrapped up with their own solutions by then as well.

Do we have to answer all of these at once?
Yes. Then I will send three bonus questions back. Those are how you can make up points on Sherlock since 99% of the time he will solve the case faster than the players.

Holmes has just sent a telegraph to Mrs. Sipton to come by Baker Street tomorrow before noon. He expects everyone to be wrapped up with their own solutions by then as well.

His 4th move was to the Children's Room.

----------

Player update: Tejas has submitted a solution to the case after 8 moves. He now has the bonus questions to answer in him PM inbox.

Player update: nonny has now submitted a solution after 9 moves. He now has the bonus questions to answer in his PM inbox.

wakephan now has the bonus questions. Everyone has until 12:15 PM Eastern to get them to me.

At that time we will all be at 221B Baker Street to hear how the great Sherlock Holmes broke the case.

SOLUTION
------

Watson is pouring a cup of tea, Sipton tea of course, for Mrs. Sipton, who has just joined us at the familiar table at 221B Baker Street.

"I came as soon as I got the telegram, Doctor Watson. What have you found out?"

"It must be from Holmes; I know nothing about it. I have neither seen nor heard from Holmes since he left yesterday morning." Watson pauses at the sound of footsteps on the hall stairs. "That must be him now."

The door opens, but instead of the hawk-like profile of Holmes we are greeted with the rat-like face of Lestrade, an annoyed Lestrade.

"Where's Holmes? shouts Lestrade as he waves a telegram. "What does he mean, 'I will clear up the matter of Sir Alfred's death'?"

"If you will step inside, Lestrade, I will be glad to explain," comes the familiar voice of Holmes from the hallway. Lestrade moves into the room with Holmes right behind him. "Please take a seat, Inspector, and have a cup of tea. I will answer all your questions in due time."

Holmes removes his coat and hat and places them on the coat rack. All eyes follow him as he goes over to the fireplace and picks up his pipe. He rolls it in his hand for a few moments and then replaces it in its rack. He picks up a cigarette instead and lights it.

"Come, Holmes, don't keep us in suspense," says Watson after Holmes has enjoyed the first puff on his Bradley.

"What is this hogwash about Sir Alfred's death? It's clear that Stillwater is the murderer! exclaims Lestrade.

"I must admit, Inspector, that after talking with Stillwater that the circumstantial evidence did point to Stillwater and no other, with the exception of Sir Alfred himself."

"Sir Alfred! Are you out of your mind, Holmes?!" responds Lestrade.

"Quite the contrary, Inspector. It was pure logic, based on the known facts, that led to that conclusion. If it is true that no one else was in the room other than Sir Alfred and Stillwater, and Stillwater himself seems to agree to that, it doesn't leave many suspects, does it, Lestrade?"

"Only one is needed," states Lestrade.

"But hopefully the guilty one. This case raised some important questions that had to be answered. First, why would someone kill a dying man? I can think of only two reasons. One, that that person knows something that can do the murderer harm if it is revealed; two, such hatred that the act of murder is more important than the death of the person. Second, was Sir Alfred really that close to death? As it was important to find out the true state of Sir Alfred's health, I went to see Sir Alfred's doctor.

"Doctor Agar confirmed that Sir Alfred's health was such that he had only a short time to live, days, weeks at most. Thus, my original problem remained, why kill a dying man? I did, however, get a piece of data that entirely changed the fabric of this case. Sir Alfred was physically incapable of shouting as a result of an operation he had eight years ago. Did you know that, Mrs. Sipton?"

"No, I don't think it ever came up. I knew of the operation but not of the fact that he could not shout. I never heard him shout, but Alfred would never have shouted even if he were capable of doing so."

"This, of course, changed the whole case," continues Holmes. "If Sir Alfred didn't shout, we can only conclude that there was another person present."

"But even Stillwater says that it was Sir Alfred who called out," states a thoughtful Lestrade.

"I believe that is what Stillwater thinks. Think about what happened, Lestrade. Stillwater enters a dark room, apprehensive, unsure of what he's getting into and expecting no one other than Sir Alfred. He hears a shout and find Sir Alfred's body, and he sees no one else in the room. It is logical for him to jump to the conclusion, as did the police, that it was Sir Alfred who cried out.

"Let us consider the layout of the Sipton mansion. If we look at Sir Alfred's study we can see that next to the fireplace, in front of which the body was found, is the door to Sir Alfred's office. If someone had murdered Sir Alfred before Stillwater arrived and then stood behind that door, keeping it ajar, and then shouted at the right time, I think that under these circumstances, it would be taken as Sir Alfred's voice. We know that one of the officers ran immediately to the veranda door and out onto the veranda and saw no one. A chek of the door into the Great Drawing Room showed that it was locked from the study side.

"The murderer could easily exit Sir Alfred's office into the children's antechamber and from there into the children's rooms and out the French window when the coast was clear. If you talked to the older child, Alfred, you learned that he wasn't able to sleep, and he saw his father come into the room after he heard someone shouting.

"Inspector, if you check with Hofstadter and the Sipton Tea Company, I think you will get enough evidence to show that Roger Thomson was embezzling money from the Sipton firm. He framed Stillwater, I believe, in the hope of throwing suspicion on Mrs. Sipton."

"How did he know that he had been discovered?" asks Wiggins.

"Roger found out from his mother. Sir Alfred must have told her of his discovery. She told her son, hoping to bring about a reconciliation; instead she brought about a murder."
------------------

Holmes solved the case in 4 moves:
1) Criminal Court (Old Bailey) - 36 EC
2) Dr. Agar - 93 NW
3) Sipton Tea Company - 39 EC
4) Thomson Children's room - G-17
------------------

ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS
1) Who killed Alfred Sipton? (50 points) Roger Thomson

2) Why was he killed? (25 points) Sipton knew of Roger's embezzlement of Sipton Tea Company funds

3) How did the Thomson children figure in the case? (25 points) They saw their father as he was leaving the scene, thus destroying his alibi

---------------

BONUS QUESTIONS

4) Who killed Steven Piggott? (20 points) Dr. Jackson

5) What happened to the murder weapon? (20 points) Jackson mailed it from the scene to himself

6) Why was Steven Piggott killed? (10 points) Dr. Jackson feared exposure by Mr. Piggott for overdosing Mrs. Piggott

wakephannonnytejasdv7Sherlock Holmes
Move 1St. Bart's (38 EC)Criminal Investigation (13 SW)The Old Bailey (36 EC)The Old Bailey (36 EC)
&
Sommerset House (17 EC) *free*
The Old Bailey (36 EC)
Move 2Criminal Investigation (13 SW)Criminology Laboratory (22 SW)
&
Sommerset House (17 WC) *free*
St. Bart's (38 EC)Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)Dr. Agar (93 NW)
Move 3The Old Bailey (36 EC)
&
Sommerset House (17 WC) *free*
Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)The Raven and Rat Inn (52 EC)St. Barts (38 EC)Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)
Move 4Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)Sir Alfred's study (G-22)Sipton Tea Company (39 EC)Dr. Agar (93 NW)Thomson Children (G-17)
Move 5Hofstadter's Office (G-18)Sir Alfred's office (G-21)Sir Alfred's study (G-22) Mr. and Mrs. Thomson's Room (G-14)
Move 6Sir Alfred's office (G-21)Moser's Detective Agency (18 WC)Sir Alfred's office (G-21)Thomson's Children (G-17)
Move 7Thomson's Children (G-17)Mr. and Mrs. Thomson's Room (G-14)Thomson's Children (G-17)
Move 8Dr. Agar (93 NW)Dr. Agar (93 NW)Dr. Agar (93 NW)
Move 9Mr. and Mrs. Thomson's Room (G-14)Thomson's Children (G-17)
Move 10
POINTS:100 - 25 (5 turns extra) = 75 + no bonus points0 - 25 (5 turns extra) = -25 + no bonus points100 - 20 (4 turns extra) = 80 + 20 bonus points = 100 total points! WINNER!100 - 10 (2 turns extra) = 90 + no bonus points100

I'm not exactly sure how Tejas guess who killed Piggott from the Raven and Rat clue + the newspaper article. Damn impressive.

Well done, tejas. And thanks for running this, dv7. Assuming you had to manually type everything up that's a lot of work.

I was led astray thinking the embezzlement was actually Sir Alfred donating his fortune to the Salvation Army, his sister killing him because he had an appointment to change the will (to donate everything to the SA), and the kids played a role b/c Alfred grew up poor and respected his parents raising him well, which was not the case for them. And I misunderstood the 10:30 time clue to mean Roger's alibi was still intact.

I'm not exactly sure how Tejas guess who killed Piggott from the Raven and Rat clue + the newspaper article. Damn impressive.

It was definitely a guess. But the Raven and Rat clue said "the doctor was shook by the death, youd think they would get used to those things". I figured that was my best bet

I was kind of pissed about the Raven and Rat dead end until those bonus questions. Lol

I was kind of pissed about the Raven and Rat dead end until those bonus questions. Lol

All bonus questions would have been answered, I believe, with 2 other visits after the R&R. To Dr. Jackson's office and Piggott's house.

Back