• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

Terrible idea. Whatever you do, don't give any more money to the fraud that wrote this book.

that's why I said "kind of" non-fiction.
I don't doubt that he ...supports... good things, and before anyone knew what was going down, it was still a good read.

harrumph, but fine.

In looking at my Goodreads tracking, here are some of my favorite fiction ideas:

Room - one of the most interesting narrator perspectives I've read
The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - written in the style of letters
The Help - so good
Replay (Ken Grimswood) - was recommended in relation to a LOST book club, but good even if you're not into LOST
Jodi Picoult and Jonathan Tropper books - lots of decent options from both

I'm all about the Jodi Piccoult books... they're my 'trashy' splurges, along w/ John Grisham.

I'm all about the Jodi Piccoult books... they're my 'trashy' splurges, along w/ John Grisham.

Yeah, there's some I definitely like better than others, but they are generally interesting/controversial topics and I like reading from all the different characters' perspectives. Not classic literature, but good fiction reading.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay is not light reading, but it is an excellent book.

yeah, my wife really enjoyed that one.

Turn's out the Buddha in the Attic is still only available in hardback and unfortunately, that's not how we roll.

LadyDeac - what's the basic plot of Room? (I guess I could google it) same for Replay - those might be good options

Thanks so much!

Turn's out the Buddha in the Attic is still only available in hardback and unfortunately, that's not how we roll.

LadyDeac - what's the basic plot of Room? (I guess I could google it) same for Replay - those might be good options

Thanks so much!

Room is about a woman and her child who are long term hostages kept in a room (like one of those women that is kidnapped as a teenager and kept for year in a single room) told from the perspective of her child. His entire world is that room. Very interesting.

Thanks so much!

Room is about a woman and her child who are long term hostages kept in a room (like one of those women that is kidnapped as a teenager and kept for year in a single room) told from the perspective of her child. His entire world is that room. Very interesting.

Yeah, that's a good summary. Seems like it was based (at least a tiny bit) on a Jaycee Dugard-type story. It's just a very unique narrative perspective. My mom didn't love it, but LadyDeacToy and I both thought it was really good.

This is a paragraph on Amazon about Replay:

"Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

Little bit Groundhog's Day-ish? But more involved.

Give me some perfume recommendations please. My family is pestering me for holiday gift ideas and I don't really want or need anything except I am getting a little sick of the perfumes in my rotation so I'd like to try something new. I'm planning to do some holiday shopping this weekend and will likely stop by Ulta to sample the recommendations posted here. Thanks friends.

I rotate during the fall and winter from Vera Princess (my least favorite), Burberry, and then Chanel Chance. What I wear depends on my mood.

I really rarely wear anything, but my two I own are Burberry Weekend and DKNY Be Delicious (which is what I bought for my wedding day scent).

Okay I realize that like 2 days ago I said that I couldn't figure pinterest out but now I'm obsessed. Tonight I am going to craft my face off!

Also, getsome, I am stashing up on decorating ideas for parties/showers so you just say the word and I will craft the shit out of your wedding related festivities =)

craft me everything!! and let me watch...i am le suck at crafting.

I'm about to start "A christmas Wedding" by James Patterson. I love kind of crappy book that take a few hours to read. good waste of time.

Have you guys heard of this book called "You Deserve Nothing"? It was released a few months ago and got a lot of critical acclaim. It is a story about an affair between a teacher at the American School in Paris and a 16 year old student, from the students perspective. The author taught at the American School and many students have come forward and said that the book is not fiction, it is entirely true and almost all of the characters were lifted from real life.

Have you guys heard of this book called "You Deserve Nothing"? It was released a few months ago and got a lot of critical acclaim. It is a story about an affair between a teacher at the American School in Paris and a 16 year old student, from the students perspective. The author taught at the American School and many students have come forward and said that the book is not fiction, it is entirely true and almost all of the characters were lifted from real life.

oooh, sounds interesting.

I think I'm going to make this cake for my SILs shower, on top of a layer of this cake.

Any advice on a) cakeball making and b) a good buttercream recipe to make the foundation of the top cake?

Also, I realize that using a cake pop maker like below makes them kind of different (it's literally just balls of cake rather than balls of cake mixed with icing) but do you think they'd still be as good?

cakepop_open.jpg

what is up with this cake pop/ball trend? what's wrong with a piece of cake? or an awesome cupcake?

Because they're so yummy! Also for the shower they'd be good because everyone can take as many as they want and I can easily make a few different flavors of them!

Back