• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

I have a job interview at a lab on Wednesday. The pants to my suit don't fit. Is it okay to a) not wear a suit or b) wear black slacks/blouse/non-matching blazer?

For my field it would absolutely be appropriate to wear black slacks, a blouse and a blazer (or not even bother with the blazer)

For my field it would absolutely be appropriate to wear black slacks, a blouse and a blazer (or not even bother with the blazer)

Thank you! I was hoping you were around to give advice. I think I'll try the blazer with the slacks and see how it looks. I'll probably wear the blazer at least in the beginning if it looks okay.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about buying a new suit for a lab job. If it were a business job or something along those lines, yeah...but with a lab job, you might be interviewed by someone wearing jeans and a wrinkled shirt.

OK SERIOUSLY.
If one more person asks me when I'm going to get engaged/married, I might lose it in their face. I'm not wearing a ring, so clearly I'm not engaged so obviously I can't tell you when I'm going to get married. It's not my job to propose, so I don't know when I'll be engaged. I don't know when you can throw me a shower- probably in more than a year because dammit I'm not engaged.
No, it's not for a lack of wanting it or whatever, it's just not happened yet. Back the eff off, I'll tell you when it happens and we'll go from there but bringing it up EVERY time I see you is so unbelievable irritating.

...I'm a little sensitive about this.

OK SERIOUSLY.
If one more person asks me when I'm going to get engaged/married, I might lose it in their face. I'm not wearing a ring, so clearly I'm not engaged so obviously I can't tell you when I'm going to get married. It's not my job to propose, so I don't know when I'll be engaged. I don't know when you can throw me a shower- probably in more than a year because dammit I'm not engaged.
No, it's not for a lack of wanting it or whatever, it's just not happened yet. Back the eff off, I'll tell you when it happens and we'll go from there but bringing it up EVERY time I see you is so unbelievable irritating.

The questions don't end once you do tie the knot. Immediately thereafter everyone will start asking when you're going to get pregnant (or in our case, my husband's cousin asked us this AT the reception).

During the Sunday morning after-wedding brunch for my sister yesterday I gave my mom a hug and told her "good job on all this!" or similar. She was like "well, you're next!!" and seemed all excited.

I was really expecting her to be relieved it was done and her other daughter (me) was nowhere near getting married as I'm not even dating anyone.

I guess she enjoyed the whole process, which is good though!

OK SERIOUSLY.

lol. One of my idiot friends got it in his head that I was engaged back in like 06 or 07 and told all my other friends, and they all freaked out and believed him...I'm STILL having to explain to them that it isn't true and it's been 3+ years since then.

oh and the manicure/pedicure was fine. I didn't particularly enjoy it and don't plan on having it done again unless I'm engaged/married and having photos taken of my hands.

And I am really looking forward to getting the polish off my fingers, I think I need to go buy more polish remover. I do not like how it feels at all, nor do I particularly care for how it looks.

The part I liked the least was having someone do those things for me. Obviously these women chose the job but still. I think it would be demeaning to be cutting someone's fingernails, scrubbing their feet, etc.

The questions don't end once you do tie the knot. Immediately thereafter everyone will start asking when you're going to get pregnant (or in our case, my husband's cousin asked us this AT the reception).

And once you're pregnant, people will ask if it was planned, how many kids you're going to have, etc. People are just so nosy.

OK SERIOUSLY.

Start telling people you've converted to a lesbian and you won't get married until the state you're living in recognizes same-sex marriages. If you live in the south, I'm fairly certain the conversation will come to a screeching halt.

as a single woman with little to no desire to get married & have babies any time soon (maybe ever), it's super frustrating to hear those nosy questions.

i recently moved back to the town i grew up in and i hear them ALL THE TIME. i really thought i was going to lose it when an old friend informed me that i should hurry up and settle down because my mom was ready to be a grandma. WTF.

Do you think this happens more often in the south? I don't think HTTD and I were ever asked when we were getting married before we were engaged. My friend group always joked about who would be "next" but it was more because we wanted an excuse to have a reunion more than anything else.

quite possibly.

i spent 3.5 years in phoenix and those conversations never came up in my group of friends - or in any setting really.

Do you think this happens more often in the south? I don't think HTTD and I were ever asked when we were getting married before we were engaged. My friend group always joked about who would be "next" but it was more because we wanted an excuse to have a reunion more than anything else.

I think it is very common in any rural community.

Hm, that could be. The town I grew up in is not rural by any means but is very small and often has the Pleasantville vibe but no one there really asks those questions either.

i'm from small-town NC and get asked ALL. THE. TIME.

I was actually asked that very question yesterday... seriously. all the time.

It doesn't bother me that much (i'm used to everybody knowing everybody else's business), but it def gets to dashionistabf... he's not used to the nosiness of rural NC.

I think it is very common in any rural community.

I got it a lot living in the Atlanta suburbs.

I also got the "when are you gonna have a baby" question from my coworkers in the ATL before I was even dating Wolf1297...WTF?! I was like, "first I need to start dating someone, then get married, then I'll do the baby thing", but most of them were single mothers or were single mothers who married later & were now hitting the grandmother stage (at age 40), so they were like "Whatcha need a husband for?" :rulz:

Last edited:
When we adopted our son, some of my acquaintances from rural NC actually asked why we adopted, how much we "paid for him," etc. There's definitely a feeling about being entitled to your personal info that I just don't like.

Back