• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shittiest part of North Carolina

What is the shittiest part of North Carolina?

• The lovely Gastonia / Shelby / Spindale corridor

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Fayettenam / Lumberton

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Chadbourn / Whiteville / Bladenboro triangle

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Appalachia NC version (I’m looking at you Canton / Waynesville)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Henderson to Oxford

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Charlotte obvi

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters

Henry Chinaski

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
inspired by Mt Olive’s old flame from Gastonia. Open to other options - i’m sure there are many.

Or in all seriousness it’s the big stretches of nothing in Eastern NC

Easy on the Spindale. Lots going on there for a small town. WNCW, Barley's Taproom...And, I grew up in Forest City. Lots to like about Rutherford.
(In fairness i haven’t been in years - it’s not exactly a destination. Your positive review duly noted. It’s funny how some small NC towns have created a mini renaissance and other just continue to circle the drain)

My mom grew up in Lumberton and we’d always go visit my grandmother there. It blows and my mom hated it.

When I was looking at newspaper jobs as a senior there was a reporter job at the Robesonian listed. I emailed it to my mom and joked I was gonna apply. She called me a few mins later thinking I was serious saying she spent 18 years trying to get out of Lumberton no way would she let her kid move there. My grandmother had moved to the Atlanta burbs a few years before that.

Well, it actually is a destination. Many big name musical acts make their way to WNCW. I could make you a big ol' list. But here's a few:

Infamous Stringdusters
Steep Canyon Rangers
Tony Joe White
Larry McMurtry
The Bottle Rockets
Doyle Lawson
Tim O'Brien

So many more....
I’ve literally never heard of any of these people but I’ll take your word for it. All Nickelback in my world

It's the last good pee stop on the way down there.

My mom had grown up in Lumberton too (50s-60s) and her parents still lived there when we did (80s). It wasn't terrible then, but it wasn't great either. I started commuting to a private school in Fayetteville in 5th grade. The last time I rode through there coming home from the beach, it was almost exactly the same except for a new Waffle House out by the interstate.

It's the last good pee stop on the way down there.

My mom had grown up in Lumberton too (50s-60s) and her parents still lived there when we did (80s). It wasn't terrible then, but it wasn't great either. I started commuting to a private school in Fayetteville in 5th grade. The last time I rode through there coming home from the beach, it was almost exactly the same except for a new Waffle House out by the interstate.
you’re brave to stop. What always strikes me is that you could tell at some point 100 years ago it was a thriving little town and now it is burned out and just beyond depressing

Waynesville has been on the #incline for a few years now.

Canton is about to be with the plant closed now. Asheville adjacent without the ridiculous prices.

I vote anything in nothing-eastern NC here. Can't find a single redeeming quality about the area tbh.

With a BK and a Hardees to choose from, hard to go wrong. I've long wondered what the Strawberry Festival is like.

there are some shitty towns up in my native country (Hertford, Plymouth, Columbia, Windsor) but at least they are close to the water.

my mom’s family all came from the Conway/Jackson/Seaboard area which is also pretty breathtakingly boring.

Back