• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shittiest part of North Carolina

What is the shittiest part of North Carolina?

• The lovely Gastonia / Shelby / Spindale corridor

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Fayettenam / Lumberton

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Chadbourn / Whiteville / Bladenboro triangle

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Appalachia NC version (I’m looking at you Canton / Waynesville)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Henderson to Oxford

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Charlotte obvi

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
It's the last good pee stop on the way down there.

My mom had grown up in Lumberton too (50s-60s) and her parents still lived there when we did (80s). It wasn't terrible then, but it wasn't great either. I started commuting to a private school in Fayetteville in 5th grade. The last time I rode through there coming home from the beach, it was almost exactly the same except for a new Waffle House out by the interstate.
Every new waffle house is already old again.

Having grown up in central NC, med school in eastern NC, and currently in WNC --> Nothing beats the shittiness of Lumberton, Pembroke, E-Town, Laurinburg etc. We used to play sports in high school against a team in Red Springs and I always feared for my life. A special kind of backwards living.

Haywood county out here is actually getting pretty nice. Very scenic and less built up than Buncombe/Henderson County. Far from the biggest dump in NC. Far west like Murphy is way worse.
Yeah haven’t been to Haywood county in years so maybe my view is outdated. Always wanted to get out to Murphy I’m sure it’s the land time forgot out there.

Yeah haven’t been to Haywood county in years so maybe my view is outdated. Always wanted to get out to Murphy I’m sure it’s the land time forgot out there.

Lot of meth and fentanyl. Ton of trump and confederate flags. So yeah.

My bingo card did not include "see your hometown dunked on" when I opened up the OGB forums today.

Yes, I am a native son of one of these towns, the one that seems to have been mentioned the most - Chadbourn. I want to offer a rebuttal but... I got nuthin.

It's more than a little perplexing to see Lumberton/Fayetteville getting votes from people that even been to my "triad". Where I'm from, going to Lumberton or, (especially) Fayetteville is a trip to the big city.

I do have this in its defense, the Strawberry Festival is fun and I can legitimately say the best Strawberries I've ever had came from local farmers. Worth stopping at a stand from April - early May to see for yourself if you're travelling through.

It had its heyday. That was long before I was born though (and I'm no spring chicken). When I was growing up the local economy was propped up by some textile and lumber mills. We all know what happened there. Now there's... nothing. Maybe work at Wal-Mart, Food Lion or Dollar General.

I still think of a recent trip down when someone was telling how "Trump was going to bring the jobs back". I was this [] close to saying my first ever "bless your heart". It's Trumpy, really Trumpy. And Jesusy. If I'm there for an extended period I get hit up hard to attend the church of whoever I'm talking to. I can't quite muster the chutzpah to tell them I'm not into their fairy tales, not at all.

Anyway, there are good folks there, the story is more complex than just "dumb rednecks being dumb".

I mean, when you get outside the Raleigh metropolitan area going east until you get to the coast, you can pretty much take your pick.

had a friend who had family who lived in procterville and going to lumberton was going to the big city

It's more than a little perplexing to see Lumberton/Fayetteville getting votes from people that even been to my "triad". Where I'm from, going to Lumberton or, (especially) Fayetteville is a trip to the big city.
I think it's because I've been to/through Fayetteville/Lumberton area and see how bad it is, but I don't have any personal experience with Chadbourn or the surrounding area. Sounds like a positive.

I grew up in Goldsboro so I have fond memories of that part of the state.

My bingo card did not include "see your hometown dunked on" when I opened up the OGB forums today.

Yes, I am a native son of one of these towns, the one that seems to have been mentioned the most - Chadbourn. I want to offer a rebuttal but... I got nuthin.

I do have this in its defense, the Strawberry Festival is fun and I can legitimately say the best Strawberries I've ever had came from local farmers. Worth stopping at a stand from April - early May to see for yourself if you're travelling through.

It had its heyday. That was long before I was born though (and I'm no spring chicken). When I was growing up the local economy was propped up by some textile and lumber mills. We all know what happened there. Now there's... nothing. Maybe work at Wal-Mart, Food Lion or Dollar General.

I still think of a recent trip down when someone was telling how "Trump was going to bring the jobs back". I was this [] close to saying my first ever "bless your heart". It's Trumpy, really Trumpy. And Jesusy. If I'm there for an extended period I get hit up hard to attend the church of whoever I'm talking to. I can't quite muster the chutzpah to tell them I'm not into their fairy tales, not at all.

Anyway, there are good folks there, the story is more complex than just "dumb rednecks being dumb".
I’m impressed we have a local expert! Yeah I’m sure all these towns have a complex and (at times) sad history. Chadbourn seems like a place where the local sheriff runs the whole town unopposed and does whatever he wants with complete impunity. Like the town in Roadhouse.

i bet there are actually a lot of “Chadbourns” in NC, but this one is quasi famous because you have to drive thru it to get to Myrtle. Some just aren’t on the way to anything and no one has ever been there. BTW Tabor City kinda seems like a shithole too.

Also huge L on myself for not adding Jacksonville as an option

I think you are underestimating the military towns. Think of all the women that are employed at the boobie clubs thanks to the military.

Back