• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shittiest part of North Carolina

What is the shittiest part of North Carolina?

• The lovely Gastonia / Shelby / Spindale corridor

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Fayettenam / Lumberton

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Chadbourn / Whiteville / Bladenboro triangle

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Appalachia NC version (I’m looking at you Canton / Waynesville)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Henderson to Oxford

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Charlotte obvi

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
Extend that Chadbourn triangle to lumberton, Clinton, and Elizabeth town and you’ve captured most of the shittiest eastern NC area
Perhaps painting too fine a line by trying to separate the 95 medium city corridor hell hole from the small shit towns further east

Waynesville has been on the #incline for a few years now.

Canton is about to be with the plant closed now. Asheville adjacent without the ridiculous prices.

I vote anything in nothing-eastern NC here. Can't find a single redeeming quality about the area tbh.
Canton might improve now that it won’t smell like perpetual ass. I had a coworker tell me she toured Western with her kid last week and I really had to force myself to be positive about the prospect of four years in cullowhee

I’d love someone to opine on extreme northeastern NC. Elizabeth City / Murfreesboro etc. only been up there once and “dismal swamp” seems appropriately named

I’d love someone to opine on extreme northeastern NC. Elizabeth City / Murfreesboro etc. only been up there once and “dismal swamp” seems appropriately named
being on the river/sound does a lot for places like Elizabeth city or Edenton. Boating is pretty great there.

Not much redeeming about Murfreesboro or Roanoke rapids.

Speaking of redeeming qualities in northeastern NC, in Scotland neck you can park in the middle of the street

The Randy Parton Theatre begs to differ, sir
amazing

Parton is also known for the theater that once bore his name in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina. In 2007, he signed a deal worth over $1.5 million yearly to manage and perform in a new theater bearing his name in the Carolina Crossroadsentertainment and shopping complex.

The relationship between Parton and the city soured as the theater struggled to attract customers and questions arose concerning Parton's use of a nearly $3 million fund for personal travel and entertainment. Parton was also questioned by city leaders for unauthorized events held at the theater including a wedding reception for his daughter along with details about who would be marketing the theater.Throughout the controversy, Parton maintained that his actions were within the contract and that the theater would be successful given time.Parton's contract with the city was terminated on January 8, 2008, and the theater was renamed the Roanoke Rapids Theater.

I can guarantee you, that even though I’m not from North Carolina, that on average, I have sent more time in each of these places than any of you, adjusted for age.

I voted Chadbourn. The only thing anyplace in Eastern NC has going for it is proximity to bodies of water.

Speaking of redeeming qualities in northeastern NC, in Scotland neck you can park in the middle of the street

Let me check with my wife’s uncle, who was Mayor of Jackson, NC and knows not to speed through The Neck.

I haven’t been to Jackson since my grandma died in 2012 but i spent a big chunk of my childhood there. Lots of holidays and multiple weeks every summer

I spend a significant amount of time driving around the state for work, and nothing comes close to Lumberton. A shithole in every respect. A big part of its self-perpetuating hell is the Lumbee situation itself, which nobody seems in any rush to address including the Lumbees. And then it floods like every 5-10 years and whatever progress was made literally gets washed away. I was there last week and about 75% of the people were still masked up. It is one of the strangest places on earth.

Enfield is also a fucking dump, as is Clinton. Gastonia is what it is but takes a perverse pride in it. Biscoe sucks ass. Similar to the coastal/river towns, it's tough to piss on a mountain town like Canton (apart from the smell) because at least they have the natural scenery.

I actually don't mind the Bladenboro/Clarkton/Whiteville area. It is close to the beach and has a lot of nice farmland.

Driving through Chadbourn on the way to Myrtle Beach is absolutely depressing. The Food Lion is probably the nicest building in town. At least most of the other places are close to something redeeming.

Having grown up in central NC, med school in eastern NC, and currently in WNC --> Nothing beats the shittiness of Lumberton, Pembroke, E-Town, Laurinburg etc. We used to play sports in high school against a team in Red Springs and I always feared for my life. A special kind of backwards living.

Haywood county out here is actually getting pretty nice. Very scenic and less built up than Buncombe/Henderson County. Far from the biggest dump in NC. Far west like Murphy is way worse.

Back