• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shittiest part of North Carolina

What is the shittiest part of North Carolina?

• The lovely Gastonia / Shelby / Spindale corridor

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Fayettenam / Lumberton

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Chadbourn / Whiteville / Bladenboro triangle

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Appalachia NC version (I’m looking at you Canton / Waynesville)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Henderson to Oxford

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Charlotte obvi

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
Heading out to Wingate, Aberdeen, and Carthage right now.
La Familia in Carthage (the Mexican restaurant with the big horse tower thing in front) is actually p good. It's a regular stop for us going to and from Pinehurst since nobody in Pinehurst has ever seen a spice before. That's all I got for Carthage.

not NC but I remember once seeing a small road in the GA mountains called Snake Nation Road which I assume was the home of a militia or cult or something

“ The Snake Nation was a ragtag group of bootleggers, gamblers, prostitutes and literal snake oil peddlers. According to Atlanta Magazine, these wild characters ran the city's sketchiest streets. They lived in an Atlanta far different from the genteel Southern city you might imagine.”

Gates, Hertford, Bertie, Camden, Perquimans, Chowan, Pasquotank and parts of Currituck suck donkey ass.

Having grown up in central NC, med school in eastern NC, and currently in WNC --> Nothing beats the shittiness of Lumberton, Pembroke, E-Town, Laurinburg etc. We used to play sports in high school against a team in Red Springs and I always feared for my life. A special kind of backwards living.

Haywood county out here is actually getting pretty nice. Very scenic and less built up than Buncombe/Henderson County. Far from the biggest dump in NC. Far west like Murphy is way worse.
Agreed that Haywood is becoming affirmatively good, and Waynesville is turning into a destination location, which would have been inconceivable 30 years ago. Canton might not be a bad location to invest in some real estate.

It was actually a black woman that I was talking to that said he was bringing the jobs back, she was part of some Chadbourn revitalization group. Playing the odds, I thought I'd get a break from Trumpiness talking to her but nope.

This thread actually got me thinking about why no mention of Evergreen? Why no Cerro Gordo or Regalwood (these are all Colombus Co towns, like Chadbourn) and yeah, you're right, it's because the drive to Myrtle takes you there from basically all points in NC. You skirt around Tabor, so people don't get to see its downtown area. I'm convinced it's map software that's taken so many people through. When I was growing up beach traffic could be busy, but not obtrusive. Now from Memorial to Labor Day, Friday-Sunday can be hellish, backed up a mile. In ye olden days you'd pull out your map and it would look like driving to Conway was the way to go, more highway time. Now Google Maps tells you to turn right onto 410 from 74 and off you go.

So many locals I talk to have ambitions of grabbing some of that beach traffic for their business, I just want to tell them "no honey, these people want to get the hell on to their beach condo" but I don't want to dash anyone's dreams.

As for the "local sheriff", you don't know the half of it. The town is perpetually cycling through police chiefs who get fired for various grifts and crimes. The last one was a doozy, it reads like a Breaking Bad subplot: https://www.wect.com/2023/09/25/former-chadbourn-police-chief-pleads-guilty-fourteen-felonies/
Worse part, in terms of the Breaking Bad part, is that he was trying to hide in Loris.

I raise you beach/Pinehurst traffic coming through Wadesboro up 74 to the Charlotte metro on a Sunday afternoon. The 74/52 intersections (there are 2!) are where fun goes to die.
I was wondering how Anson County was getting a pass.

Will someone turn this into a map? More votes equals more piles of shit on that area of the map. It might help me navigate around the state.

The answers are the general assembly and biff tannen’s stupid face.

Eastern NC is easy to hate on. It’s also largely the way it is because of lack of resources invested in the area.

The answers are the general assembly and biff tannen’s stupid face.

Eastern NC is easy to hate on. It’s also largely the way it is because of lack of resources invested in the area.

OH, two can play at that game !

Actually it's the general assembly and deacfreak07's stupid face.

The only thing Western NC has going for it is mountains.

Back