• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

I'm on board with your first two proposals, but there is no way you can require private businesses (even if they are open to the public) to allow people to bring guns into those establishments. Aren't you a big free market/libertarian guy? If I recall correctly (and my apologies if I am getting you mixed up with another poster), you think privately owned businesses should be able to deny services to customers based on whatever (i.e., Christian baker should be able to refuse to make wedding cake for gay wedding based on religion). If I am recalling this correctly, how do you reconcile those positions?

I am a Libertarian but that does not mean I would be against requiring businesses to follow certain regulations in order to do business. It would seem to me the power to enforce one would be similar to the power to enforce the other.

In theory, you could argue that all people and businesses should be allowed to do whatever they want so long as they do not harm others, but we are miles away from that.

Lynch: Feds Will Censor Orlando Terrorist Call Transcripts To Omit ISIS Pledges
Attorney General Loretta Lynch says that when the transcripts of calls between the Orlando terrorist and negotiators will be released, they will only be released in part and the “pledges of allegiance” will be omitted.
While making the rounds on the Sunday shows, during her appearance on ABC’s “This Week” with guest host Jonathan Karl, Lynch said, “Tomorrow, for example, we’ll be releasing a partial transcript of the calls between the killer and the hostage negotiators so people can, in fact, see the type of interaction that was had there. I say partial because we’re not going to be, um, for example, broadcasting his pledges of allegiance.”
Lynch then said her reasoning was “We are trying not to revictimize those who went through that horror. But again we’re trying to get as much information about this investigation out as possible, and we want people to provide information that they have taught us.”
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/19/lynch-feds-will-censor-orlando-terrorist-call-transcripts-to-omit-isis-pledges/

I am a Libertarian but that does not mean I would be against requiring businesses to follow certain regulations in order to do business. It would seem to me the power to enforce one would be similar to the power to enforce the other.

In theory, you could argue that all people and businesses should be allowed to do whatever they want so long as they do not harm others, but we are miles away from that.

I strongly disagree with this. If a private business doesn't want guns on the premises, they should be allowed to preclude them. If you don't like that, don't go in. I don't think there is any overwhelming national policy here (such as antidiscrimination) that trumps the business owners' property right to exclude guns from the premises.

I strongly disagree with this. If a private business doesn't want guns on the premises, they should be allowed to preclude them. If you don't like that, don't go in. I don't think there is any overwhelming national policy here (such as antidiscrimination) that trumps the business owners' property right to exclude guns from the premises.

You'd better watch out. That's twice in the past seven days or so that we agreed on something.

So, guns okay for the wealthy but the average Joe has to depend on the 15 minute response time of the police?

That is kind of what we have now in NY City. If you have the money and connections you can get a permit or hire security. Otherwise, the cops can investigate after the fact.

This is not currently happening though. NYC has some of the strictest gun laws and murders have dropped precipitously from 20 years ago. Probably just a coincidence though, right?

I want a federal recreational handgun ban, but I am unconvinced that localized bans work.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

A strained argument at best.

You don't think ISIS wants us to broadcast the pledge to ISIS by the man who committed the worst mass shooting on US soil?

Interested to see your logic. To me, that's the terrorist equivalent of the top prospect in the McDonalds AA game announcing for Duke after putting up 50 points.

Top two NRA officials (LaPierre & Cox) both dismissed the nonsense that people should be armed anywhere alcohol is served.

You don't think ISIS wants us to broadcast the pledge to ISIS by the man who committed the worst mass shooting on US soil?

Interested to see your logic. To me, that's the terrorist equivalent of the top prospect in the McDonalds AA game announcing for Duke after putting up 50 points.

Completely agree. Don't broadcast some fucking lunatic's pledge. They have acknowledged its there, you need to hear it made into a recruiting tool x10000000 on the stupid internet? I don't.

ah shit now the nuts will bring up chicago

It's hard to compare the two. Chicago is a large city with outlying suburbs. NYC is a large city and outlying suburbs. Local is different in each place.

Completely agree. Don't broadcast some fucking lunatic's pledge. They have acknowledged its there, you need to hear it made into a recruiting tool x10000000 on the stupid internet? I don't.

I'm curious what sailor's upside is. I have no idea.

I'm curious what sailor's upside is. I have no idea.
I would guess that he believes this censorship is an attempt to hide or deny the connection between the attack and Muslim extremism.

I don't need to hear it. The guy was unhinged and he was likely a self loathing homosexual and his dad is somewhat radical and those ingredients didn't mix well. The guy is in the middle of the crime and knowing he is gonna die and calls police to say it's for Islam to please his dipshit father one last time. He probably realized that shooting up a gay bar that he had frequented and made friends in and used gay dating apps for was gonna out him. ISIS was his beard, despite how badly the politicians need this to be a terrorist attack so they can continue failed policies and give money to the war machine

Stupid would be an even better description. Reminds me of an exchange from the movie "Deep Impact":

President Tom Beck: And I can't appeal to your sense of what's in the nation's best interest.

Jenny Lerner: I always thought the truth was in the nation's best interest.

Haven't you already equated Islam and ISIS?

Back