• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shot Clock Reduced to 30 seconds

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread on this, so forgive me if I missed it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-committee-calls-switch-30-second-shot-clock-181917108--ncaab.html

Still has to reach final approval, but I think it will. I personally feel it is a good move, but would want to leave it at 30 seconds (not drop it any further). Part of the beauty of the college game is that you can run a little more offense before taking a shot. I have seen where they are considering shortening the back court violation time from 10 to 8 seconds. I would love that in conjunction with this move. That would really speed up the game as coaches would be much more likely to press and extend the defense if they knew they might be able to get a violation, and even if not would shorten the amount of time the opponent had to run their offense. Full court defense leads to more transition points on both sides of the ball. Would make for a fun game.

Thoughts?

I like that a timeout would not reset the backcourt 10 count. A team should only have 10 seconds, not 19 seconds (9 seconds, timeout, 10 seconds).

Agree with both. I may be missing something, but if a timeout doesn't reset backcourt, there could just be an 8 second clock like a mini-shot clock. An 8 second shot clock with no reset would effectively add the full court press back into the college game.

I also like the idea of an 8 second backcourt count and not to reset it after a timeout. I'd rather see that than a 30 second shot clock. I too like to see the offense being ran like it is in the college game than the quick plays ran in the NBA. If college basketball ever went to a 24 second shot clock, I think it would hurt the game. There would be too many quick 'jack up a bad outside shot' situations, imo.

CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

These are the best proposals of all, IMO. The amount of stoppages in the college game is ridiculous and I'm glad an effort is being made to somewhat address that

CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

These are the best proposals of all, IMO. The amount of stoppages in the college game is ridiculous and I'm glad an effort is being made to somewhat address that

Agreed. Good coaches make it absolutely impossible to gain any sort of momentum by mixing regular timeouts in with tv timeouts and fouls. It really takes a toll on the quality of the game in my opinion.

I don't really pay attention to the NBA but I assume that this follows the NBA and that the timeouts that become media timeouts are still counted as a team timeout correct?

I'm probably imagining it, but I seem to remember some sport turning team timeouts into media timeouts and not counting against the allotted team timeouts.

Those timeout changes are great. It should cut down on advantages skewing toward teams with short benches. Duke has been thriving off frequent timeouts for a long time.

Ummm, if we don't have as many timeouts, how are the networks going to make the money they expect to under the current deal?

Ummm, if we don't have as many timeouts, how are the networks going to make the money they expect to under the current deal?

Scarcity.

Why do you even post on the sports board Bob? Seriously? I don't understand. I don't think I have seen you post a positive post on ANYTHING. What is the fascination in paying attention to a sports board when you hate sports?

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to sailordeac again."

Basketball today sucks. It used to be just the NBA, but now the college game is almost as bad as the NBA game. Tinkering with a few rules is like putting a new dress on a pig. And anything that makes the college game more like the NBA game is going in the wrong direction.

76f3651fdafc72b8d079c9390e4271eb.jpg

Why do you even post on the sports board Bob? Seriously? I don't understand. I don't think I have seen you post a positive post on ANYTHING. What is the fascination in paying attention to a sports board when you hate sports?

Because yelling at clouds gets tiresome.

If you don't want to read my posts, put me on ignore. It's very easy to do. That's what I've done with a lot of posters.

I didn't say that. I genuinely want to know why you post here? I wasn't being rhetorical. I am curious to your motivation.

These changes are great. Now, if we could only get consistent calling of the game by the refs based on the actual rules ...

That is certainly true, but you have to be backed up by supervisors who want the game called by all the rules! Simple as that.
I doubt you want to see a game called by the letter of the law, so it is subject to interpretation and that is where the human part comes in. Plus it is all in the angles you see and where you are when something occurs. What may look like a block from
the table side of the floor can look like a charge to the baseline official. Then replays from 5 different angles never verify anything. Or what we all talk about on the floor during time outs and stoppages is the "no call" like a blocked shot we let go with a little minimal or incidental contact from our view. Our partner, when asked may say we kicked the call from their angle as their looked like a lot more contact, but since it wasn't in their "primary" area of coverage in the 3 man crew coverage, they are not going to come over and call that unless they are 100% sure.

No that I am observing high school officials about 2 or 3 times a week, that is what I am now looking at--coverage, angles, how they move, do they step up at the right times & take control. We are not worrying about whether or not they miss foul calls here & there unless it is a consistent pattern all game long. We are supposed to be looking for court coverage, hustle,
game control, control of the players, coaches & benches and applying the rules correctly.

Back