• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shot Clock Reduced to 30 seconds

Those timeout changes are great. It should cut down on advantages skewing toward teams with short benches. Duke has been thriving off frequent timeouts for a long time.

Rules the same for every team Ph. I was actually hoping they would cut it down to 3 total 30 second timeouts but I guess going to 4 is a start. Seeing how everybody has been given 9 long media timeouts whether there was TV or not [even 15 years ago they started going with media because of the internet broadcasts were needing the advertising revenue along with radio]. But even during the NCAA tourney the 30 second TO's stretch to 60 seconds because they give a 30 second commercial spot.

They are also bringing the lane arc out from 3 feet to 4 feet, a la the NBA. Hoping to cut down on more of the charge calls.

And speaking of NBA, for those that follow women's basketball, they are going to 4 ten minute quarters and instead of giving a 1 & 1 and a 2 shot bonus like the men, they will be giving 2 shots on the 5th foul of each quarter.

Why go to four quarters?

Why go to four quarters?

I can live with a 30 second clock, but no shorter and I definitely don't want to see 4 quarters. I like the college game much better than the NBA because of things like a longer clock to allow teams to run offense and no stoppage for "quarters." If they strive to make the college game basically the same as the NBA rules-wise, it would be a bad move. Why would you want to watch inferior athletes playing the game the same way as superior athletes in the NBA?

By that logic you wouldn't watch nearly any competition unless it's pros playing at the highest level.

Why go to four quarters?

The womens game has an overwhelming influence from the NBA/WNBA because a lot of those officials also called in the summers in the WNBA when it first started and have become the supervisors of a lot of the leagues like the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, etc. They like the rules and also think that the mechanics are excellent since the pro game is done on a professional level, so they adopted a lot of their 3 man mechanics over the years. When I was calling in the women's ACC & Atlantic 10 we had to start using them back around 2000-2004 when I got out. It made it quite hard to go back & forth on nights of doing a high school game on a Tuesday/Friday and a women's college game on a Wednesday/Saturday or whatever.

You guys may not notice this but in men's college, the guys on the side are responsible for their sidelines and the guy on the baseline is responsible for his endline. But in the WNBA and women's college, the baseline official is responsible for their "box" area from the
lane--free throw line--to the side line out of bounds. Even girls AAU uses the college type rules & shot clock where boys AAU does not and uses high school rules.

But to answer your question Ph, everybody else in the world uses quarters in basketball, except men's college, so I think there is a move to unify the rules more & more.

By that logic you wouldn't watch nearly any competition unless it's pros playing at the highest level.

I can understand you thinking that, but part of the appeal of college basketball to me is that it allows for different styles of play. Teams can play uptempo if they want, they can slow it down if they want, etc. My point is that the closer you make it shot clock wise, etc. the more teams will be forced to play an NBA style of game. To me, just about every NBA team plays the same basic style. Sure there are of course differences in how they play, but they just aren't as definitive as the college game allows. I just don't think there is anything wrong with the college game staying a different animal than the NBA game. I personally would like the shot clock to stay at 35, of course I can remember well no shot clock, and then a 45 second clock and now a 35 second clock. I hope it doesn't get less than 30, I just don't care to see teams absolutely forced to play a run and gun NBA style.

The womens game has an overwhelming influence from the NBA/WNBA because a lot of those officials also called in the summers in the WNBA when it first started and have become the supervisors of a lot of the leagues like the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, etc. They like the rules and also think that the mechanics are excellent since the pro game is done on a professional level, so they adopted a lot of their 3 man mechanics over the years. When I was calling in the women's ACC & Atlantic 10 we had to start using them back around 2000-2004 when I got out. It made it quite hard to go back & forth on nights of doing a high school game on a Tuesday/Friday and a women's college game on a Wednesday/Saturday or whatever.

You guys may not notice this but in men's college, the guys on the side are responsible for their sidelines and the guy on the baseline is responsible for his endline. But in the WNBA and women's college, the baseline official is responsible for their "box" area from the
lane--free throw line--to the side line out of bounds. Even girls AAU uses the college type rules & shot clock where boys AAU does not and uses high school rules.

But to answer your question Ph, everybody else in the world uses quarters in basketball, except men's college, so I think there is a move to unify the rules more & more.

I admit that's a good point and strange that you have quarters at every level up prior to college and then again at the pro level, but I still hope college ball stays at 20 minutes halves. Do we really need another stoppage of play in additional to the dead ball timeouts after every 4 minutes of game clock?

The NBA defense is so good that trying to use the entire shot clock is asking for trouble. The NBA offense is so good that it's not worth it to wait to score.

The NBA defense is so good that trying to use the entire shot clock is asking for trouble. The NBA offense is so good that it's not worth it to wait to score.

There is no inherent value in using the entire shot clock. Use the time it takes to get a good shot. If college coaches would learn this, the game would be so much better. There is only so much we need to protect swinging the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds.

I admit that's a good point and strange that you have quarters at every level up prior to college and then again at the pro level, but I still hope college ball stays at 20 minutes halves. Do we really need another stoppage of play in additional to the dead ball timeouts after every 4 minutes of game clock?

Yea, that has always been said about U.S. basketball--that we use different rules at every level of play but with international ball they use the FIBA set of rules with the shot clock, wide lane and all that all the way up to Olympic level basketball and I guess in their pro leagues.

What I always found interesting, at least from my officiating side of things when I was doing tons of AAU ball in the spring & summer
[when the legs were young], was that the boys AAU always used high school rules and that girls AAU always used women's NCAA college rules including a shot clock. They might not always have the best 3 point arc on all the floors, or they might tape a dotted line down at some of these gyms that were used, but AAU made them use 30 second clocks. Really could be a nightmare given the skill level in the gyms, but they were there.

I say we make the court 25 feet shorter and take the clock down to 20 seconds.

There is no inherent value in using the entire shot clock. Use the time it takes to get a good shot. If college coaches would learn this, the game would be so much better. There is only so much we need to protect swinging the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds.

What are you talking about? There are probably less than 10 college coaches who put an emphasis on using the entire shot clock. And two of them have been extremely successful the past few years as a result.

To bad..sooner than later College Basketball will look like a mini NBA. The one and done are already making the games less fun to watch.

I've been thinking about whether the change to 30 seconds helps defensive teams such as UVa disproportionately. On the one hand, mediocre defensive teams will now have to defend for a shorter time. On the other hand, now teams won't have as much time to explore the pack-line defense or the 'Cuse zone.

That is certainly true, but you have to be backed up by supervisors who want the game called by all the rules! Simple as that.
I doubt you want to see a game called by the letter of the law, so it is subject to interpretation and that is where the human part comes in. Plus it is all in the angles you see and where you are when something occurs. What may look like a block from
the table side of the floor can look like a charge to the baseline official. Then replays from 5 different angles never verify anything. Or what we all talk about on the floor during time outs and stoppages is the "no call" like a blocked shot we let go with a little minimal or incidental contact from our view. Our partner, when asked may say we kicked the call from their angle as their looked like a lot more contact, but since it wasn't in their "primary" area of coverage in the 3 man crew coverage, they are not going to come over and call that unless they are 100% sure.

No that I am observing high school officials about 2 or 3 times a week, that is what I am now looking at--coverage, angles, how they move, do they step up at the right times & take control. We are not worrying about whether or not they miss foul calls here & there unless it is a consistent pattern all game long. We are supposed to be looking for court coverage, hustle,
game control, control of the players, coaches & benches and applying the rules correctly.

I agree that the supervisors and the coaches also need to be on board with any rules or enforcement changes. I also appreciate the fact that the refereeing profession would like to achieve greater consistency but I think there is a good deal of space left for improvement. We don't need grandstanding officials to be making calls - regularly mistaken ones - from half-a court away, or way out of their area. The replay area needs to be cleaned up as well. The refs need to see the same replays that people at home see. Otherwise, the controversies will be consistent and huge.

Major college basketball needs to get the officials' egos the hell out of the sport and make it much more viewer-friendly. Games in which teams spend two hours marching up and down the court shooting free throws are BOOOOOORRRRING.

The old-school purists can hate it all they wish but we're not going back to black high-tops, crew cuts and two-handed set shots anytime in the near future. So, in the interim, hopefully the game will become more entertaining for the average viewer.
Currently, too many of the games are officiating clinics with some basketball interrupting on occasion. It's gotta change. And, I'm sure ESPN will expedite the process.

Lots of physical play = good defense now-a-days. Listen son, you don't need to move those feet like they did in the out-moded bad old days; just commence to wrastling in the post and hand-checking at the three point line. Easier to teach, easier to do, easier not to call. Works out all the way around.

Why does anybody think any of this has anything to do with black high tops, crew cuts or two-handed set shots? Are those necessary for moving your feet and teaching good fundamentals? Oh wait ... red herring ... Got it.

Back