• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shots fired on Capitol Hill

We noted minutes ago that federal authorities say the situation has been resolved. Here is a summary of how the situation unfolded this afternoon, according to what an intelligence source told CNN's Deborah Feyerick:

-- Police stopped a black vehicle near the White House.

-- Words were exchanged, the woman driver put the car in motion, and a chase began.

-- The chase ended near Capitol Hill.

-- The driver apparently was hit by gunfire.

-- The vehicle also contained a child.

The child appeared to be uninjured, according to the source and witnesses.

18f0b3f0-8efb-424e-ab34-c43809bf9291_500.jpg

Police swarm an area near a black car following a chase that ended near the U.S. Capitol on Thursday afternoon.

Doesn't look like a lot of damage from "ramming" anything on the black car. This story seems strange. Surely there's something more to the story that justified opening up on the driver with firearms?

Also, I've seen police say they didn't know there was a child when they fired. But that doesn't jive with the "stopped a black car and words were exchanged" part of the story.

Last edited:
I really hate the militarization of our police force. As I look through photo galleries on CNN, there are TONS of officers decked out in body armor, black "tactical" gear, carrying automatic weapons and running around DC, blast proof military vehicles parked front of buildings, citizens hitting the deck, etc. just to stop a woman in a car who may or may not have rammed a barrier. I hope there's more to the story that justifies the "assault". It takes a hell of a lot of justification for the police to be shooting at a moving vehicle in an area chock full of innocent bystanders/tourists.

Last edited:
Taking bets...

Off her meds angry at the government?

Doesn't speak much English, got scared by an accidental altercation and panicked?

Protester trying to make a scene who didn't think the police would shoot her?

That would be my bet at this early juncture.

Ted Cruz had the following to say: "Because the federal government is shut down, Capitol police were unable to be more careful. The suspect was taken to a federal hospital, where she will be forced to wait six months to see a doctor due to both obamacare and the government shutdown."

CNN already show video of her almost running over police officers. That's almost always justification for deadly force.

I mean, CNN has video of the lady stopped at the Capitol surrounded by armed police, who presumably were telling her to get out of the car, for like 10 seconds. Then she peels off.

I really hate the militarization of our police force. As I look through photo galleries on CNN, there are TONS of officers decked out in body armor, black "tactical" gear, carrying automatic weapons and running around DC, blast proof military vehicles parked front of buildings, citizens hitting the deck, etc. just to stop a woman in a car who may or may not have rammed a barrier. I hope there's more to the story that justifies the "assault". It takes a hell of a lot of justification for the police to be shooting at a moving vehicle in an area chock full of innocent bystanders/tourists.

how do you feel about the militarization of private citizens?

Witnesses say driver "ran the barricade down"

David Nakamura reports from near the White House:

B.J. and Susan Campbell of Oregon, who were touring Washington, said they saw a black car driven by a woman tear through the security checkpoint at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW heading west on Pennsylvania. The car went about 20 yards before rapidly turning the car around at the concrete security barriers.

“The Secret Service guy was just having a cow,” B.J. Campbell said. “Yelling at her and banging on the car.”

Secret Service officers pulled a black metal gate into the woman’s path, and she slowed the car to try to go around it, the couple said. But an agent moved the gate in front of the car again. At that point, “she just gunned it,” Campbell said. “She ran the barricade down” and knocked the officer up onto the hood of the car,” he said. “He rolled off into the street, and she tore off down Pennsylvania Avenue.”

The whole scene lasted about 20 seconds, they said.

It's a chick - she freaked out. Cops are supposed to use their cars to block someone like that in. I just don't see how these circumstances justify someone being killed, even without hindsight.

Assault with a deadly weapon.

if she's out of the car and doesn't have a gun or a bomb strapped to her chest, you can take her down without shooting her, i'm sorry.

that being said, I don't want to make any advanced comments on this yet because there are obviously so many details missing.

The police get pissed when you don't listen to them and you have one of them flies off the hood of your car when you're trying to make a quick getaway. How long before we have crying family members of the deceased telling the cameras she was an amazing mother/daughter/wife? There's no way any cop gets charged here for anything. No way.

Last edited:
If I pulled any of that, I wouldn't be surprised at all about getting shot up. Sorry if it was a big misunderstanding and all, but you picked the wrong place to act like a maniac.

does knight realize the child (and therefore mother is likely) black?

Back