• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Obama compromise/negotiate with the Tea Party?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
This weekend has given me a lot of thought on the current debt ceiling debate. Not only did I have a heated conversation with my friend, a politically conservative Molecular Chemist for the NIH in Raleigh (currently furloughed), but I also had a conversation with a woman who works for foster care services in Wake county. Until recently I have completely agreed with Pres Obama's stance on non-negotiation, considering how the Tea Party is figuratively holding the government hostage; That methodology is childish and completely out of line with the point of Democracy. Having said that, there are a lot of needy people suffering right now, foster families not receiving assistance, WIC is running on emergency funds, etc. The President should be working harder to bring this stupid crisis to an end. If that means pushing back the ACA for another year to work out some of the kinks, i'm completely for it, but that may not even be possible at this point. Either way, Obama has already won two elections, maybe he should put aside some of his pride for the moment and try to bring this shit to an end, rather than letting the Tea Party assholes twist in the wind at the expense of people in need.

Last edited:
lol

if you didn't live ina shitty state that decided not to fund wic you might feel differently. you can't budge because the dems already negotiated on spending cuts, and this would just signal the pubs to do this every time the debt ceiling needs to be raised. you bend them over like the insolent children they are and whoop that ass.

If it's not settled by Thursday, the Tea Party will be blamed and GOP will come crawling and begging to have a deal.

Never negotiate with the Tea Party.

This weekend has given me a lot of thought on the current debt ceiling debate. Not only did I have a heated conversation with my friend, a politically conservative Molecular Chemist for the NIH in Raleigh (currently furloughed), but I also had a conversation with a woman who works for foster care services in Wake county. Until recently I have completely agreed with Pres Obama's stance on non-negotiation, considering how the Tea Party is figuratively holding the government hostage; That methodology is childish and completely out of line with the point of Democracy. Having said that, there are a lot of needy people suffering right now, foster families not receiving assistance, WIC is running on emergency funds, etc. The President should be working harder to bring this stupid crisis to an end. If that means pushing back the ACA for another year to work out some of the kinks, i'm completely for it, but that may not even be possible at this point. Either way, Obama has already won two elections, maybe he should put aside some of his pride for the moment and try to bring this shit to an end, rather than letting the Tea Party assholes twist in the wind at the expense of people in need.

If you defer it for a year, what is to stop us from doing this dance again in a year. My biggest fear is that any "negotiation" would mean that this is the way out "democracy" will always work from here on out. It doesn't seem to be a genie that can go back in the bottle. It may already be too late. The deal on the table just punts for 6 weeks.

I'd be nice to actually have a budget instead of continuing this stupid debt ceiling slap fight bullshit.

The Dems already accepted major spending cuts. They negotiated and compromised. Pubs want more.

The US doesn't negotiate with terriosts or whiney assholes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Out of curiosity, how would you characterize the so-called Moral Monday protests, where people were bussed in to literally obstruct basic government functions? How is that any different?

Fuck no. You don't give in to extortion. You also can't give in to anything after you've called it extortion and called the Tea Party domestic terrorists.

His constituents want the ACA. Why would he throw them under the bus for Ted Cruz's constituents?

I gotcha. So it's civil disobedience if you agree, domestic terrorism* if you don't.

* Gabby Giffords frowns on this rhetoric, btw.

There are a variety of forms of terror: violence, economic, psychological, etc. This is certainly domestic terrorism.

lol

if you didn't live ina shitty state that decided not to fund wic you might feel differently. you can't budge because the dems already negotiated on spending cuts, and this would just signal the pubs to do this every time the debt ceiling needs to be raised. you bend them over like the insolent children they are and whoop that ass.

This.

There are a variety of forms of terror: violence, economic, psychological, etc. This is certainly domestic terrorism.

Keep in mind: this is an Administration that thinks walking into a medical clinic in the name of violent jihad and shooting unarmed people isn't terrorism, though. Consider the source considered.

Keep in mind: this is an Administration that thinks walking into a medical clinic in the name of violent jihad and shooting unarmed people isn't terrorism, though. Consider the source considered.

Source needed for this. Incident plus Obama's statement.

I gotcha. So it's civil disobedience if you agree, domestic terrorism* if you don't.

* Gabby Giffords frowns on this rhetoric, btw.

there is clearly no difference between elected officials blockign the democratic process and civilians protesting. nope. none at all.

Out of curiosity, how would you characterize the so-called Moral Monday protests, where people were bussed in to literally obstruct basic government functions? How is that any different?

TROLLOLOLOL

there is clearly no difference between elected officials blockign the democratic process and civilians protesting. nope. none at all.

One of which one an election, and one of which lost....who's blocking the process again?

Back