• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the NCAA let St. Joe's hold O'Brien's release hostage?

I have had the opportunity to talk with Jay Wright (HC of Villanova) on a few occassions and he always releases players from their 'ship if a decent chance at playing minutes is not in the cards...

He always said "I offer them the opportunity to stay, but tell them they will likely not play so they can leave if they want...in addition, if someone does not want to be here, then I let them walk because who wants to keep a kid that doesn't want to be here?"

I'm sure this article will help St Joe's in recruting............

I'd like to hear Coach Martelli's side of the story as well.

Loyalty only goes one way in college athletics. Coaches jump ship at the drop of a hat texting their players rather than tell them in person they are moving on to another job. Scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis and a player is always at risk to not get his renewed. What loyalty does he owe St.Joes? He graduated for crying out loud. Should Russell Wilson have sat on the bench this season and let Tom O'Brien fuck with his last season of football?

Him and another player were caught stealing laptops. The other player ended up getting kicked off the team.

I think Martelli wanted him to try and earn is his way back, but O'Brien, despite what he may have told Martelli, had already decided he was going to try and complete this grad/transfer.

Him and another player were caught stealing laptops. The other player ended up getting kicked off the team.

I think Martelli wanted him to try and earn is his way back, but O'Brien, despite what he may have told Martelli, had already decided he was going to try and complete this grad/transfer.

lol amazing piece of info

Given that St. Joe's upheld their end of the bargain and paid for his education, then yes he should honor his commitment to them even if it means he has to endure less playing time.

Is this a joke? Kids transfer all the time and teams give them releases - things don't work out, playing time drops, whatever. Why should the St. Joe's coach pout like a baby and thereby steal this kid's last year of eligibility? Ridiculous and shameful. I hope the kids sues the crap out of them. He should have filed suit already, if he hasn't.

If I was that kid I would send all the info on this situation to every recruit mentioned with St. Joe's until that coach gets canned. And then send them to every recruit at the coach's next job.

Is this a joke? Kids transfer all the time and teams give them releases - things don't work out, playing time drops, whatever. Why should the St. Joe's coach pout like a baby and thereby steal this kid's last year of eligibility? Ridiculous and shameful. I hope the kids sues the crap out of them. He should have filed suit already, if he hasn't.

If I was that kid I would send all the info on this situation to every recruit mentioned with St. Joe's until that coach gets canned. And then send them to every recruit at the coach's next job.

What damages can he claim? He didn't get to play basketball? It apparently didn't stop him from getting a scholly to UAB to work on his grad degree.

This entire program that allows players to transfer to another school to play one year immediately needs to be axed.

Given that St. Joe's upheld their end of the bargain and paid for his education, then yes he should honor his commitment to them even if it means he has to endure less playing time.

lol. They probably should've denied his entry in the first place and told him to stay at Bucknell actually. Would've taught him some loyalty and perseverance, which martelli def cares about

lol. They probably should've denied his entry in the first place and told him to stay at Bucknell actually. Would've taught him some loyalty and perseverance, which martelli def cares about

Valid point.

So it sounds like O'Brien's "stealing laptops" was him knowing about it after the fact and not telling anyone...yeah that's a really good reason to deny him a chance to leave the school.

What damages can he claim? He didn't get to play basketball? It apparently didn't stop him from getting a scholly to UAB to work on his grad degree.

This entire program that allows players to transfer to another school to play one year immediately needs to be axed.

I don't understand this sentiment at all. Players leave early to go to the NBA with no penalties. I would much rather see those guys pay back money to the school than penalize a student who GRADUATED from the college. However you look at it St. Joe's looks petty in this. Even if there is "another side" to this...which I doubt there is...it still reminds me of the way a 12 y/o girl acts when she gets her feelings hurt.

Loyalty only goes one way in college athletics. Coaches jump ship at the drop of a hat texting their players rather than tell them in person they are moving on to another job. Scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis and a player is always at risk to not get his renewed. What loyalty does he owe St.Joes? He graduated for crying out loud. Should Russell Wilson have sat on the bench this season and let Tom O'Brien fuck with his last season of football?

No. I love RW but TOB was completely right with what went on in this situation. I get (and agree) with what you are trying to say but this was a terrible example to use.

Lol great tidbit. Certainly gives me a different view of both parties involved.

Back