• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the NCAA let St. Joe's hold O'Brien's release hostage?

I don't understand this sentiment at all. Players leave early to go to the NBA with no penalties. I would much rather see those guys pay back money to the school than penalize a student who GRADUATED from the college. However you look at it St. Joe's looks petty in this. Even if there is "another side" to this...which I doubt there is...it still reminds me of the way a 12 y/o girl acts when she gets her feelings hurt.

You don't have a problem with mercenaries who can be brought in for a single year?

You don't have a problem with mercenaries who can be brought in for a single year?

No, I don't. We are talking about an athlete who was a great student, stayed out of trouble, graduated, and wants to keep playing basketball while he studies in grad school. I'll add that I'm not losing any sleep over this one way or the other. I just think this makes St. Joe's and the NCAA look ridiculous when there are so many other truly offensive things going on in the world of college athletics.

No, I don't. We are talking about an athlete who was a great student, stayed out of trouble, graduated, and wants to keep playing basketball while he studies in grad school. I'll add that I'm not losing any sleep over this one way or the other. I just think this makes St. Joe's and the NCAA look ridiculous when there are so many other truly offensive things going on in the world of college athletics.

This would appear to be false, but has no bearing on my opinion at all.

This would appear to be false, but has no bearing on my opinion at all.

Is there evidence for this? Or is anyone saying this? Besides, doesn't really change my opinion either. St. Joe's can just notify UAB of any conduct issues they have and let them decide.

I just don't see why this is a problem but players coming to college for one year to audition for the NBA is fine. I also don't like how coaches float around the league with little to no accountability.

Besides, all I'm saying is this is a petty move by SJU and their coach, and the NCAA looks as ridiculous as always in this. Like it or not, players get the grad exception all the time, and this seems to be the only case that was not approved. I guess you are upset about Russell Wilson's year at Wisconsin, too?

Not a CamStan fan? I thought it was great that he was able to go to another school and get playing time after graduation when it was clear he wasn't going to get it here.

So this article was written by the kid who is trying to transfer? Something tells me we don't quite have all the facts here and the truth lies somewhere in between what the kid wrote in the article and whatever the administration will respond with.

If any fanbase should restrain immediate judgement when hearing things from those who have allegedly been wronged, it is ours. Obviously this is a different level than the accusations in the spring.

If you had a player in your program that was a confirmed (alleged) criminal, wouldn't you want to cut all ties with him especially if he's doing it voluntarily?

If you had a player in your program that was a confirmed (alleged) criminal, wouldn't you want to cut all ties with him especially if he's doing it voluntarily?

Yes, you probably would, though there might have been additional circumstances surrounding the laptop incident, enrolling in summer classes, etc.

Just mentioning that the person who wrote the article is not an objective party.

I agree there are probably facts that he isn't revealing, but if they just write the release, this article doesn't get published.

So it sounds like O'Brien's "stealing laptops" was him knowing about it after the fact and not telling anyone...yeah that's a really good reason to deny him a chance to leave the school.
No one said that was the reason.

Two utterly obvious observations from this situation. A) O'Brien is shady. Kids have transferred from St. Joe's before. Why are they digging their heels in here? B/c he's a dbag and they don't like him, that's why. B) When you're the HC or AD or whatever, you have to be an idiot to let this kid's dbag'ness stop you from signing the form and washing your hands of him. There is no winning outcome here for St. Joe's. You can't walk into a recruits home and say "I believe in honor and integrity and this kid was a jerk so I'm making him pay!" That won't impress parents, that will scare them.

Hawks board -- http://hawkhoopclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=7389&page=1. Many just want this to go away (duh).

edited to add:
Seth Davis tweets -- http://twitter.com/SETHDAVISHOOPS

Last edited:
ESPNLunardi Joe Lunardi
@
@JayBilas If I retain you as counsel, can I break federal law and tell you the real story? Hope all else is well.... Great season, yes???

Thread title should probably be changed.

Different sport, but look at Todd Graham. At Pitt a year and then splits for Arizona State for more money. Not only can coaches leave whenever they want, but they can also force out players without any kind of penalty or waiting period (ie: the scholarship is available immediately). It isn't fair.

The sit out requirement and grad transfer rules are reasonable (if abused). I see no reason there should ever be this kind of hold-up, especially since UAB isn't on St. Joe's schedule.

I don't care what the kid did (and I don't believe that he was caught stealing laptops, the real store is much more tame than that, else he would have been kicked out along with his alleged cohort); this isn't right.

Different sport, but look at Todd Graham. At Pitt a year and then splits for Arizona State for more money. Not only can coaches leave whenever they want, but they can also force out players without any kind of penalty or waiting period (ie: the scholarship is available immediately). It isn't fair.

The sit out requirement and grad transfer rules are reasonable (if abused). I see no reason there should ever be this kind of hold-up, especially since UAB isn't on St. Joe's schedule.

I don't care what the kid did (and I don't believe that he was caught stealing laptops, the real store is much more tame than that, else he would have been kicked out along with his alleged cohort); this isn't right.

Agreed. If there's something more sinister to this story, why wouldn't the university just expel him? He had his degree and wasn't' playing anyway.

Him and another player were caught stealing laptops. The other player ended up getting kicked off the team.

I think Martelli wanted him to try and earn is his way back, but O'Brien, despite what he may have told Martelli, had already decided he was going to try and complete this grad/transfer.

Well it seems like that was your insinuation with this post.

Back