• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the NCAA let St. Joe's hold O'Brien's release hostage?

SethDavisHoops Seth davis
Some people criticizing SI for airing "one side" of story. Wrong. School gave its side. It hid behind NCAA's appeal. Lame.

Scholarships only good for 1 year. So school can not renew with impunity. But kid needs "release" to transfer and sits out 1 year.

People tweeting that O'Brien's involvement in laptop incident last yr a factor. Balderdash. School should not have this option in 1st place.

The fact that the AD would hide behind an appeal of the decision HE made is gutless. Pure cowardice.

Coach can take another job w/o missing a beat. Players have to sit out a year after transferring. He needs a release too?

Question about graduated players continuing their eligibility:
Taking a transfer out of the equation, let's say a Wake football player graduates and has a season of eligibility left and will use it at Wake, is he required to enroll in a graduate degree program, or can he just take additional undergraduate classes in whatever?

Why are so many basketball players stealing laptops?

The group that the NCAA and Athletic Departments care about the least are the athletes.

I read an article on it this morning (which I can't find now) that clearly suggested the action was directly related to (1) the laptop thefts and (2) Martelli sitting on the NCAA ethics board and taking his job seriously. I'll share if I can find it again...thought it was on SI.com but not seeing it there now.

that could have been mentioned by St. Joe's or Martelli but they declined. If martelli was all about ethics wouldn't he kick off a player stealing stuff?

Sports Illustrated not mentioning the laptop incident as at least a footnote to the original story of O'Brien's was a mistake, one Seth Davis doesn't seem inclined to acknowledge.

Why would a laptop theft have anything to do with a student being able to go to another school for his last year of eligibility? If it was so heinous, why was he still offered a scholarship to St. Joe's for his last year? If that's what Martelli is hanging on, it's weak.

This whole thing seems really strange. I'm hoping we see some kind of a rebuttal from the St. Joe's side, although I can't really see them coming out of this in a good light.

And LOL at the people whining about the graduate-transfer rule. If these kids were the hired guns you say they were they probably wouldn't be in school long enough to graduate, let alone take another year to play somewhere else.

Why would a laptop theft have anything to do with a student being able to go to another school for his last year of eligibility? If it was so heinous, why was he still offered a scholarship to St. Joe's for his last year? If that's what Martelli is hanging on, it's weak.

Exactly. You'd think the school would be wiping their hands of that student...

What this sounds like to me is Martelli fought for O'Brien because O'Brien indicated he would stay a year after graduating, giving extra depth and a body to practice against. It then pissed Martelli off that O'Brien ended up pursuing playing time.

The message from Saint Joseph's seems to be that because they covered for him he should have to play here. It's pretty sketch and doesn't paint anyone in a good light, especially Martelli.

The reasons people are giving explaining why St. Joe's has the right to deny this guy a release are all fine, but none of those reasons were listed on the form given to the NCAA. The article said they simply checked the box to confirm that they weren't comfortable with it, without filling out the explanation behind their decision. Seems like if they had a good reason, they would have put it on the form. Or released a statement. Or anything for that matter other than a simple "no".

correct

I already knew Martelli was a dick. I already knew the NCAA's rules sucked.

I'd rather spend my time thinking about fixing the BCS, not fixing some thief's transfer problems.

Wasn't he only suspended for one game for his involvement in whatever it was? How much could Martelli have had to go to bat for something that only warranted a one game suspension.

If it was a terrible act and Martelli only gave him a one game suspension, then Martelli is shady as hell. If it wasn't something terrible and Martelli is now using it to deny him his release, then Martelli is shady as hell.

Either way, Martelli is shady as hell.

Well for starters, being a thief is a pretty big indicator of his credibility and something that readers should be aware of when weighing his side.

Second, if instead of kicking O'Brien out of school they gave him an opportunity to earn his way back into good graces, and then O'Brien instead says "screw you" and takes advantage of the fact that they cut him a break without making any effort to fulfill his end of the obligation, you don't think they are justified in being pissed off?

Back